DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand and Galad

Yes, I believe he realizes it in Lord of Chaos, when Dyelin remarks that he looks a lot like Tigraine.  Rand realizes then that Tigraine must have been his mother, just gathered from what the Wise Ones told him about his mother (that she's been a noblewoman, had left behind a son, that she had come to become a Maiden because she'd been told by Gitara Sedai that if she didn't, the world was doomed, etc.), and from things Dyelin tells him about Tigraine (that she'd disappeared without a word, that Gitara had been rumored to have something to do with it, etc.).  And if he didn't already know Galad was Tigraine's son, Dyelin mentions that too.

So he realizes it then, although I don't really think he thinks about it much.  At least not that we see in the books.

I definitely think he'll tell Galad given the chance, especially considering Galad is pretty much in charge of most of the Whitecloaks now.  I don't have any definite theories on how it'll play out, but I'm definitely curious.  As for how Galad will react...the only thing I can say is, I think it will make him look on Rand more favorably.  Family seems pretty important to Galad.

Only very distantly, if at all (as is the case in many royal families). Moiraine is related to Galad because Taringail (his father) was her half-brother. But she was not related to Tigraine that we know of. So I guess that makes Galad Moiraine's "half-nephew," but she wouldn't be related to Rand.

Elayne's family is the house that took over Andor after Tigraine (Rand's mother) disappeared. All the royal houses of Andor DO have a common ancestor (Queen Ishara, [thanks, mb, for the correct name] I believe, or something like that - Dyelin explains all this when Rand is attempting to figure out if he and Elayne are somehow related - a fact which has bothered him quite a bit once he made the connections). But as Dyelin explains, no one would consider them anything but very distantly related, several degrees removed. And, of course, he is even a bit less related to the other royal houses, due to his Aiel father.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that he's bringing an infusion of Aiel stubborness and physicality back into the royal bloodlines (via Elayne's unborn children). I would think it would be a good thing for Andor as a whole to have a bit more spice back in the mix.  ;)

House Trakand and House Mantear are descended from Ishara through very different lines, but a relatively similar number of degrees.  It may be helpful to think of it this way ...

Ishara

/\ 

/    \

/        \

/            \

/                \

/                    \

Mantear                Trakand

The same distance from Ishara, but not close to each other.  That isn't a very precise representation, of course, but hopefully it is clear enough to convey the idea.  Both houses are connected to Ishara, but not really closely to each other.

So, they are technically distantly related, but the split is far more than 2 generations back.  Elayne and Rand are far enough apart genetically that they would not be considered related at all by "normal" standards.

• 6 months later...

Imagine this from Galad's point-of-view... His half-brother and his half-sister have fallen in love and are having a child together!

Other than that, I've never been a big fan of books where the main characters seems to be all-too-conveniently related or inter-married or connected through some massively coincidental and unlikely way, but I guess I can forgive WoT slightly. If only for one reason... "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

Personally, I think it's pretty cool that he's bringing an infusion of Aiel stubborness and physicality back into the royal bloodlines (via Elayne's unborn children). I would think it would be a good thing for Andor as a whole to have a bit more spice back in the mix.  ;)

Ya, cos stubborness is a genetically inherited trait  ::)

Imagine this from Galad's point-of-view... His half-brother and his half-sister have fallen in love and are having a child together!

Other than that, I've never been a big fan of books where the main characters seems to be all-too-conveniently related or inter-married or connected through some massively coincidental and unlikely way, but I guess I can forgive WoT slightly. If only for one reason... "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

LOL, also i must agree, its not a good back plot at all for so many of them to be related

Personnally, I am glad that Galad is now the commander of the Children of the Light. Normally, I say Whitecloaks like most do, but I am making the change here for a distinct purpose.

I can't remember exactly which book it is when you find Galad reading a book on the Children of the Light (I think it's the fourth one TSR). Galad is reading about what the Children are supposed to stand for, not necessarily what the "Whitecloaks" have turned and changed things.

I believe that Galad will attempt to bring the Children back to it's origins which are to help save the people from the dark instead of being judge/jury/hangsman. Galad in doing what is right at all times will not allow someone to be put under the question without good reason first, etc.

Archived