DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sword Forms

TaiDashan

I know there have been a few sites put up to catalog the sword forms used in the books for RP use. My question i lay at the feet of the community here however, is do we know if something similar truly exists in real life. I know that RJ based a lot of things in his books on real life people, places, etc.

I would love any information (websites, books etc) as to the sword forms used in the books, teaching materials (books, courses etc), anything really. I am a big lover of swords etc. and would love to learn the sword forms as a form of exercise. (also lets face it, they would look cool  :D)

Any information is appreciated and as far as the location of this post, if i put it in the wrong spot i apologize, I couldn't find where else to put it.  :-\

Thanks Guys!

I've had some instruction in Kenjitsu, and Iaido. They don't sound like the forms in WoT. They are much more utilitarian. They're much more, one move one cut one kill, kind of mentality. Also, they tend to block as little as possible with the sword, and keep a lower center than Rand and Lan , do.

There might be some chinese styles that match tthe forms, but i think that european style is too clumsy and physical to match the ones in the book.

I know alot of people will get mad at me for this but whatever. RJ knows about alot of things and it translates into his books, but I believe the forms developed as a way to cover up his lack of knowledge of sword play. It makes sense to just make up some pretty names to avoid trying to describe realistic fighting mechanics.

just my 2cents

This site has a number of different real life forms listed http://www.thearma.org/terms2.htm as well as other interesting information

I would also say calling European styles clumsy would be incorrect, Europeans spent just as long as Asian cultures learning and perfecting the best ways to kill each other, and forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't Robert Jordan have a decent collection of swords which seems to mean he had some interest in them.

Sorry, clumsy was the wrong word. Hope I didn't offend. here what I meant.

If you watch germanic one on one sword fighting, its very physical. There is a lot of shoving and punching. A lot of brute force. To the untrained eye, like mine, it seems to be much less graceful than Kenjutsu. Im sure you could convince me that it does indeed require alot of balance.

But by the description of Rand's sword (only one side is sharpened, slightly curved, light enough for grace but requires 2 hands), I'd say that that sounds like a katana.

RJ said that he just made them up.

I believe the forms developed as a way to cover up his lack of knowledge of sword play.

Indeed, you are correct.

But I really like the way he did it. There are some books where you get every cut and swing put on paper and its boring! But when RJ has "cutting the mountain" or something you get this "cool picture in your mind that YOU think that "cutting the mountain" should be!"

Alot more room for imagination and aweseomness!

Also When I think of the swords in Randland I think of something between a katana and and long sword...

Yes, we could even come up with modern swords forms!

A block-and-slash could be "Loading the Dishwasher"

A low to high slash could be "Starting the Lawnmower"

The sauntering walk could be "Too Sexy For Your Shirt"

A stabbing attack could be "Tween Texting her BFF"

-sigh- I have too much time on my hands.

• 10 years later...

European sword fighting was while not clumsy, down-to-earth is a good description. The idea with it isn't to be graceful at all, but rather just to kill people. As such it tended to be hack, slash, shove, dirt in the eyes, thrust. The sword was used to gain advantage in any way possible. The sword could be used as a bludgeon or a sharp stabbing implement, and a lot of the fight came down to strength, instead of speed.