DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Gathering Storm Finished

Darth_Andrea

Just found this on Brandon's Blog

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/

Last night--Monday night--I pulled an all-nighter finishing up THE GATHERING STORM and sending it off to Harriet and company. In essence, the book is now complete. I suspect there will be another hasty round of revisions this weekend, but the book really needs to be in ASAP. We're already over-deadline in getting it in, and Tor is going to have to pay overtime at the printer in order to get it out in November. (Tom has already said he'd do this, so it's not a big issue, but every day counts. Hence the all-night revision marathon.)

So yes, it's done. Almost. Kind of. Now we begin the long wait for copyediting, proofreading, and printing. I can now confirm that--for certain--the cover thumbnail passed around last week was nothing more than a mock-up. I've now seen the cover, and while the general composition is the same as the thumbnail, this version is much better. (For one thing, Rand is no longer busting a move with his back to us, but is turned face-front and standing in a different position.)

So Now it's just the long wait till November

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I want the prologue early, on the one hand I'm a junky but on the other its great going into a book blind from the beginning and enjoying it from start to finish.

I guess it depends when it comes out.  If it comes out before September I'll be reading it.  If it's later, I might hold out.

Great news ;D My heart sings with joy to know that another book has been finished, much more telling than a simple "you can expect it to come out some time in November".  Now if I can just make myself wait that long peacfully...  [sets and locks watch on calendar, gets up and paces a bit, checks watch, frowns, paces some more, checks watch again, cries.]

I can now confirm that--for certain--the cover thumbnail passed around last week was nothing more than a mock-up. I've now seen the cover, and while the general composition is the same as the thumbnail, this version is much better. (For one thing, Rand is no longer busting a move with his back to us, but is turned face-front and standing in a different position.)

Hopefully its also not a sequal to CoT anymore--that'd just be plain wierd.

Its funny to me of how many posters are upset that it's going to be more than one book. Personally, I'm just glad to get something. I put all my faith and trust that: 1. BS and Harriet would never allow something 'bad' to ruin Robert Jordan's reputation. 2. If I get something in November, I can wait another year or more to get the rest.

For those of us who have had to wait for more than one book, it's almost here. November is not that far away...

it almost bugs me because i've waited so long that when I get the book I find it hard to pace myself, and end up finishing it in one or two days.  It was the same thing with the Harry Potter books.  I went to the midnite release and then by midnite the next night I was done!!! hahaha. 

so i'm going to cultivate pacing myself.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's a shameless money making plot splitting it into three volumes? On the publishers part of course. To be honest i'm much more ummm....We'll go with irritated...Than I thought I would be about it. I'm almost as mad about this as I was about "The Legend of the Seeker." Lol. I know a lot of people are just happy to get the last book at all due to R.J.'s death, and don't get me wrong, I am too. But i've been reading these books since I was twelve years old and they have played a huge role in my intellectual and imaginative development. So to me it almost seems an insult to R.J.'s memory for these guys to milk his legacy for all they can get. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.  >:(

It's not just you, a lot of people on this board seem to feel that way.  I however, disagree with you.  I think that Harriet and Brandon Sanderson helped lead to this decision as the best possible situation that they could see with the way that the plot works and the growing word count.  I'm sure that TOR's involvement in this had something to do with money, but I doubt that it's just a shameless money making plot.  I do feel that everyone is being too hard on them with the fact that it's winding up as more than one book though.  How many times did Robert Jordan wind up with more books to cover parts of the story than he initially anticipated?  This has been the way this series has gone since the beginning.

It's not just you, a lot of people on this board seem to feel that way.  I however, disagree with you.  I think that Harriet and Brandon Sanderson helped lead to this decision as the best possible situation that they could see with the way that the plot works and the growing word count.  I'm sure that TOR's involvement in this had something to do with money, but I doubt that it's just a shameless money making plot.  I do feel that everyone is being too hard on them with the fact that it's winding up as more than one book though.  How many times did Robert Jordan wind up with more books to cover parts of the story than he initially anticipated?  This has been the way this series has gone since the beginning.

Are you referring the the fact that the series was originally intended to be a trilogy? Or to New Spring and The Strike On Shayol Ghul prologue type books? Either way, to be clear i'm not trying to disrespect Harriet or B.S. in any way. But I do think that TOR probably made the decision to split it up and I do think that the decision was based solely on making money. I don't see why the word count should have anything to do with it. Who would complain about a..I don't know how many page book lol but however long I doubt us readers would be daunted or turned off in any way, shape or form because of the length. No matter how long. To be honest I would love to get a two or three thousand page book that weight a couple of pounds and dive right in lol. But I respect your opinion. :)

the decision ot just suddenly split the book does feel a bit rushed. i mean, brandon is going to go through some hasty revisions on the weekend. Feels like they're going to have an improved author's edition once the books are all released just to fine out the mistakes from this rushing.

I don't see why the word count should have anything to do with it. Who would complain about a..I don't know how many page book lol but however long I doubt us readers would be daunted or turned off in any way, shape or form because of the length. No matter how long. To be honest I would love to get a two or three thousand page book that weight a couple of pounds and dive right in lol. But I respect your opinion. :)

Most of us wouldn't be daunted by a book that large, myself included (I would personally love a book that large), but others that read the series, buy the books, but don't have our level of interest might be.  However, that's not the only thing I was thinking of.  Let's be honest here, TOR has some pretty bad track records as it is with binding.  Now imagine them trying to bind a complete A Memory of Light.  As it is, right now the book is looking to be longer that Atlas Shrugged, and if I'm right, it's only going to get longer.  If they could bind it correctly, I would prefer one volume, but if the hardcover falls apart after two readings, I would prefer multiple volumes that can stay in one piece for longer.  There is also volume of sales to consider.  Bookstores can carry some pretty large books, but it would still be difficult to make room for the amount of books that they will hopefully need if they are all the size of dictionaries.  So, all things considered, I think there is more to this decision than simply making more money.  I am certain that is one of the things that swayed their decision, but not the only thing.  Besides, I'd rather have three volumes than two volumes if the plot more easily breaks into three volumes than two.  That was one of the arguments that came from Brandon Sanderson on why it's going to be three volumes rather than two.  Since he's done his best to be level with us, and heavily respects Harriet's position, I'm going to trust him on this.  Anyway, that's where I'm coming from.  I can't say I fully understand the amount of outrage that I'm seeing in regards to the split, but then again, as humans we have a limited capability for empathy and understanding anyway.  So I guess it's just par for the course.  ;D

I don't see why the word count should have anything to do with it. Who would complain about a..I don't know how many page book lol but however long I doubt us readers would be daunted or turned off in any way, shape or form because of the length. No matter how long. To be honest I would love to get a two or three thousand page book that weight a couple of pounds and dive right in lol. But I respect your opinion. :)

Most of us wouldn't be daunted by a book that large, myself included (I would personally love a book that large), but others that read the series, buy the books, but don't have our level of interest might be.  However, that's not the only thing I was thinking of.  Let's be honest here, TOR has some pretty bad track records as it is with binding.  Now imagine them trying to bind a complete A Memory of Light.  As it is, right now the book is looking to be longer that Atlas Shrugged, and if I'm right, it's only going to get longer.  If they could bind it correctly, I would prefer one volume, but if the hardcover falls apart after two readings, I would prefer multiple volumes that can stay in one piece for longer.  There is also volume of sales to consider.  Bookstores can carry some pretty large books, but it would still be difficult to make room for the amount of books that they will hopefully need if they are all the size of dictionaries.  So, all things considered, I think there is more to this decision than simply making more money.  I am certain that is one of the things that swayed their decision, but not the only thing.  Besides, I'd rather have three volumes than two volumes if the plot more easily breaks into three volumes than two.  That was one of the arguments that came from Brandon Sanderson on why it's going to be three volumes rather than two.  Since he's done his best to be level with us, and heavily respects Harriet's position, I'm going to trust him on this.  Anyway, that's where I'm coming from.  I can't say I fully understand the amount of outrage that I'm seeing in regards to the split, but then again, as humans we have a limited capability for empathy and understanding anyway.  So I guess it's just par for the course.  ;D

I see what you're saying. But in regards to the issue of the amount of space the books being shelved would take up, in my opinion if they can keep a book store open till midnight and pack it full of screaming girls and merchandise for when Twilight came out, or pack it full of cosplay folks and magic wands when Harry Potter came out, then they could be convinced to maybe put up a few extra shelves and a couple of extra tables for the final book in the Wheel of Time series.

As for the binding issue. Well, it's the last book in the series. The end, in a way, to Robert Jordans legacy. In my opinion TOR owes it to R.J. (He's made them plenty of money) and the readers to maybe go all out out as it were for this one. I don't see why it would be beyond their capabilities to step up their efforts a little bit and maybe spend a few extra bucks to make sure the binding is done top notch.

Or, even if they absolutely have to chop it into three volumes, release them all at once and sell them in some kind of limited edition box set or some such thing. Then everyone can read at their own pace and they don't have to lug around a gigantic book and get Spina Bifida or something lol.

As I said before, no disrespect to Harriet or B.S. But what it comes down to is that they are at the mercy of the publisher, so to speak and have to do basically whatever TOR wants them to do or no book. Simple as that. There was supposed to be a new Dragonlance novel chronicling Raistlin's ascension to the black robes (If you're familiar) but Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman failed to meet some kind of deadline or did something contradictory to what the publisher wanted and so the book never came out. You get the point.

Here is the thing though. A Omnibus version of the Lord Of The Rings is roughly 500,000 words long and we know how thick those are. AMOL is being projected at 750k-800k words long. That's nearly a third longer, so you can imagine how thick that would be. The book had to be split I think RJ himself would agree with that as well. Publishers aren't going to publish a book that thick, if they did the price point would be set to where few would buy it. And even fewer book sellers would carry it because of their shelf space issues. Splitting it makes it smaller allows it to be cheaper both to produce and sell, and ensures that more book sellers will give it shelf space. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but there is a logic behind the decision. This isn't just a money issue as some have taken to believe. At least not a Profit issue not in total anyway.

Once the WoT movies start rolling out Sales of the novels will go up. That has happened with most movies adapted from novels. Well the good ones anyway. Look at the sales of Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter each time a movie came out. The same I expect to happen with Wot. So Tor making money from WoT is something they don't really have to worry about. Splitting the novel was at least the way I see it, A move done to A) Get the fans a novel by the long promised November 2009 date. and B) To ensure that the novel it's self can be finished as RJ envisioned with out having to cut major portions out as Brandon talked about in his blog post about the split.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

The first two books in The Lord of the Rings were also released within months of each other and the final a little more than a year later. It wasn't spaced a year between each to prolong it. My hardcover copy of Lord of Chaos is doing just fine and it's got thinner pages and a smaller font than the one used in my big copy of Lord of the Rings. I can understand releasing part 1 in November because they've been promising it for so long, but it would have been better to get all 3 parts written and release them in one go, or failing that a few months apart. Like I said in the other threads, and I know 95% of everybody at this forum disagrees with me, I don't want to have a full year to consider events that happened in part 1 (which isn't a full book itself, mind you, so it's different from the last 11) and having the time spent between the next part detracting from it.. so I'll be waiting until all 3 are out anyway.

The first two books in The Lord of the Rings were also released within months of each other and the final a little more than a year later. It wasn't spaced a year between each to prolong it. My hardcover copy of Lord of Chaos is doing just fine and it's got thinner pages and a smaller font than the one used in my big copy of Lord of the Rings. I can understand releasing part 1 in November because they've been promising it for so long, but it would have been better to get all 3 parts written and release them in one go, or failing that a few months apart. Like I said in the other threads, and I know 95% of everybody at this forum disagrees with me, I don't want to have a full year to consider events that happened in part 1 (which isn't a full book itself, mind you, so it's different from the last 11) and having the time spent between the next part detracting from it.. so I'll be waiting until all 3 are out anyway.

Well i'm one of the 5% that agrees. Releasing one big book or 3 smaller ones at the same time or at least within a couple of months of each other shouldn't be that hard. We put people in space for cripes sake. We invented the Slinky!!!  ::)

But that's the Thing books 2 and 3 of AMOL aren't finished yet. Brandon said that in his Blog. It's why the books are being published as they are. If they waited till it was totally complete then it would be 2011 before we got the first part.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif     The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

That isn't really too long to wait for a book in this series. It's better to get it late than get it rushed, and that's how I see part 1. Brandon Sanderson started it out writing it as one whole book, the decision to split it came much later. The amount of revisions that would need to be done so nothing was given away and spoiled for the other books would be too great, I think. Some of it will be missed and we will have a year to figure it out. That's a risk I don't want to take with the final book of the series.

Well, for those of you who are happy to wait until the later part of 2011, there is noone that will stop you from doing this.

That is the beauty with this, we who want something asap, even if it is just 1/3 of the story will get that. Those who wants to wait til 2011 can do that. It is entirely up to you.

Archived