DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMoL to be Divided into 3 Volumes - What would RJ say?

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the announcement that aMoL will be released in not 1, not 2, but 3 volumes!? I say this not because we will have to wait longer but I don't think that RJ would have approved.

I can't help but think that RJ, who was so insistent that the book be released in 1 volume would be happy about the prospect of the book being divided into 3, I feel that 2 volumes would have been too much in his opinion. Obviously I can't speak for the man, but my own feeling is that he wouldn't have approved of this move.

Personally, I feel that this move is an attempt by TOR to squeeze as much as possible from aMoL and it kinda bugs me... :(

What does everybody else think?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Harriet and the rest of "Team Jordan" know better what he would have wanted then all of us do. It does kind of feel like they're trying to make as much money off of it as possible, to me anyway, but they did make good points as to why the book needed to be split.

I think by the time November comes around, we'll all feel much better about it.

Any new news from Harriet today? Maby it will come later on Dragoncon?

I dont mind if the "last" book is 56 books..as long as they all have at least 400k words in them :D I LOVE the WoT world and like to read about it. To bad that it have to end though..but still, all things have to end.

I honestly do have a problem with it. I can abide it being split, the logic behind it is reasonable--my one problem with such a thing being release times--would they release it as soon as possible, or would they wait on a new financial year for increased book value. Given the current wait, and that it is an item they are selling, with subsequent consumer concern, i would have had an issue with it being delayed.

But we do not know it is going to be delayed. It may not be.

No, my concern is that it is being split into three volumes. Hariet's interview specifies the word values... 750,000 is their concern. Here is here quote.

The material that Jim left was very capacious, and Brandon saw after working with it for a while that he could not complete it in less than a total of 750,000 words. This is probably an impossible thing to bind - unless we sold it with a magnifying glass. 250,000 words is in fact a fat, or Rubensesque, novel. You will notice that 3 x 250,000 equals 750,000. So... part of the decision was based on making a book within the scope of binding technology. The major part of the decision was to get ALL the story that Jim left out there for us all.

So... they devide into three. She even panders the fact that 250,000 timsed by three equels 750,000... as if math is beyond us. You know what else is maths, tSR was 393,823. Even if aMoL goes beyond the proscribed amount it still equals less then two tSR's, to which Hariet would suggest is too far beyond 'fat' to be viable. And i state Hariet--if she is being a mouthpiece to the publishers she deserves full flack.

I sympathise with her, she lost her husband. I loved the man, and i didn't know him, so i cannot even begin to imagine what she lost. But this? This is an absolute violation of the trust the fans place in her. She could have stepped aside--were it a meaningless beaurecrat i would have no problem expressing my outrage, but she is James' wife, his editor--i feel almost dirty being angry with her. But the fact is she stepped forward and took control of this story--with that comes the responsibility for this story.

The sad thing is that this is probably the publishers doing, seeking money--yet her tacit approval is a problem. I can't cut it any other way--and if Hariet does read or hear of this, im sorry, but i don't agree with whats occuring, or with your agreeing with it either. I respect you, I more than respect your husband--but this is an issue. No way around it.

*shakes his head and walks off*.

I think it's probably the best decision, the split in three. A Memory of Light cannot be a single volume, so when split it should be published in an optimal form. 250 000 is still large for a novel, and this way there is no question of needing to leave anything out. Brandon Sanderson is only about halfway in the book, it is fully possible the estimate of 750 000 will yet rise. It is fitting that the last book should form a trilogy. The most important thing is the quality of a Memory of Light, not needing to worry about the length will ease this. It will soon be four years since KoD, I am just thrilled that the finish starts arriving.  :D

Lastly, I do think aMoL is worth three times your ordinary novel, with all that has gone into its making, that I for one will gladly pay that for it, it will still be some of the best used money of the year. Certainly it will weigh its share in substance.

I don't get it. RJ managed to turn what was originally planned to be a trilogy into twelve books, and everyone is outraged that the twelfth is being turned into a thirteenth and fourteenth? What's an extra two in an already gigantic, bookshelf-busting series? ???

I can but echo Luckers' outrage. Splitting in two is reasonable. In three is excessive. How long will we have to wait for these extra books? I'm not happy with this, nor should any of you be. This is a rip off. As is release over a two year period. In other words, having to wait till 2011. Quite possibly November 2011 (if that two years doesn't start till the first is released). In other words, exactly what we feared. Now, what RJ used to say about it being one volume even if they had to invent a new binding process is one thing, but they could at least make an attempt to go along with his wishes. We are not looking at 3x TSR, we are looking at something more akin to WH, one of the shorter entries in the series. With the length given, this could easily be done in two volumes, and they shouldn't try to pretend otherwise. Had they made it two, a year apart or just a couple of months, it wouldn't be a problem. This is a terrible way to treat the fans.

"Tor Books is proud to announce"

Tor should be  ashamed to announce their money-grubbing walking over of a dead man's legacy.

If anything, this sentiment is too mild.

I think it's probably the best decision, the split in three. A Memory of Light cannot be a single volume, so when split it should be published in an optimal form. 250 000 is still large for a novel, and this way there is no question of needing to leave anything out. Brandon Sanderson is only about halfway in the book, it is fully possible the estimate of 750 000 will yet rise. It is fitting that the last book should form a trilogy. The most important thing is the quality of a Memory of Light, not needing to worry about the length will ease this. It will soon be four years since KoD, I am just thrilled that the finish starts arriving.  :D
For the best? No. Absolutely not. It is not "fitting" that this ends as a trilogy, it is Tor showing that they just don't care. About RJ or his fans. There are many good reasons to make it two volumes, but unless this looks likely to reach 1 million words, then three volumes really isn't necessary. As for increasing estimates, they could just wait till they have the book in hand before deciding how many it needs to be, or release volume one and then split volume two later if they have to. They have decided to give us three books little bigger than the shortest volumes in the series, rather than two that still lag behind the longest. And waiting till 2011 for the end is disgusting. However many volumes, nothing will be left out, so that is an irrelevance. It will be the same words wether one book or twenty. Even if one book would struggle to fit, two is sufficient.

I don't get it. RJ managed to turn what was originally planned to be a trilogy into twelve books, and everyone is outraged that the twelfth is being turned into a thirteenth and fourteenth? What's an extra two in an already gigantic, bookshelf-busting series? ???
Well, RJ said that the last will be one book, no matter how massive it has to be, and now his widow and his friend tell us that they are ignoring his wishes in favour of three books when the story can be managed quite easily in two, even if it won't fit in one, is not exactly likely to endear people to this idea. And an extra two is us waiting until the end of 2011 to finish this series. Also, it's funny but I don't recall ever seeing an RJ quote saying that he thought it would be a trilogy. WoTmania has this: "I told him that I had an idea for a multi-volume book. I didn't know how many books".

3 books is just disrespectfull with fans and jordan's legacy. Binding issues? bite me ... 2 400k books would do fine... and with 2 books.. i don't care if we have to wait till late 2010 to read the ending... but with 3 books.. a year spaced each.... it's just more waiting for smaller books? Ah please... i feel outraged!!

See charter below:

WOT Word Count:

New Spring 121,815

The Path of Daggers 226,687

Winter's Heart 238,789

The Dragon Reborn 251,392

The Great Hunt 267,078

Crossroads of Twilight 271,632

A Crown of Swords 295,028

The Eye of the World 305,902

Knife of Dreams 315,163

The Fires of Heaven 354,109

Lord of Chaos 389,264

The Shadow Rising 393,823

--------------------------------------

A Memory of Light 750k+

-The Gathering of the Storm +-250k

-AMOL2 - +-250k

-AMOL3 - +-250k

Enough said!

I honestly do have a problem with it. I can abide it being split, the logic behind it is reasonable--my one problem with such a thing being release times--would they release it as soon as possible, or would they wait on a new financial year for increased book value. Given the current wait, and that it is an item they are selling, with subsequent consumer concern, i would have had an issue with it being delayed.

The sad thing is that this is probably the publishers doing, seeking money--yet her tacit approval is a problem. I can't cut it any other way--and if Hariet does read or hear of this, im sorry, but i don't agree with whats occuring, or with your agreeing with it either. I respect you, I more than respect your husband--but this is an issue. No way around it.

i think that you are seriously peeved and you have no right to be. we are fortunate that she wants to finish the story at all. others in her position have decided that no one can carry the torch and chose to let the story remain unfinished for eternity. yet here you are complaining because of some perceived sleight to RJ and to the fans. no one knew him or cared about him the way she did. he entrusted this to her when he could have used a lawyer. he did that because he trusted her judgement, and her ability to make decisions. i think this decision is almost entirely based on finacial reasons because she and tor have lost a viable means to make a profit. but it was also based on getting a quality product released in a timely manner. you could read the first book and preorder the second while they are still editing the third. or you could wait another year or two to get anything at all. i do not think i agree with the decision but i think it is wrong to villify her for making it or acceding to it. remember no matter how much we love it, it is a product produced by a bussiness for the express purpose of generating revenue. this is absolutely about money. our money. instead of getting irate perhaps you should channel that energy into a letter writing campaign to TOR to release it the way he wanted it. i will sign on if you do :)

I think it's probably the best decision, the split in three. A Memory of Light cannot be a single volume, so when split it should be published in an optimal form. 250 000 is still large for a novel, and this way there is no question of needing to leave anything out. Brandon Sanderson is only about halfway in the book, it is fully possible the estimate of 750 000 will yet rise. It is fitting that the last book should form a trilogy. The most important thing is the quality of a Memory of Light, not needing to worry about the length will ease this. It will soon be four years since KoD, I am just thrilled that the finish starts arriving.  Cheesy

For the best? No. Absolutely not. It is not "fitting" that this ends as a trilogy, it is Tor showing that they just don't care. About RJ or his fans. There are many good reasons to make it two volumes, but unless this looks likely to reach 1 million words, then three volumes really isn't necessary. As for increasing estimates, they could just wait till they have the book in hand before deciding how many it needs to be, or release volume one and then split volume two later if they have to. They have decided to give us three books little bigger than the shortest volumes in the series, rather than two that still lag behind the longest. And waiting till 2011 for the end is disgusting. However many volumes, nothing will be left out, so that is an irrelevance. It will be the same words wether one book or twenty. Even if one book would struggle to fit, two is sufficient.

Well when you think about what is best for the series disregarding any expectations, I think it probably is the best decision. A Memory of Light will be the last book of the series, this does not change. Of course I am a person who did not acquire that metal thing for drawing circles for a whole geometric course in high school because in my opinion the exactness of what was necessary to draw was irrelevant; if I draw a circle, if implication was not enough, I could always write it was a circle, and it was always the idea that was relevant. I also have a great appreciation for both good planning and flexibility, not committing to two near-too-large volumes sounds like a very good idea. I think RJ would have been happy with the split in three, he split his main character in three too. I'm also a person with a large collection of cd's who finds it impossible to even listen to an mp3 I know is pirated, so that is to say I respect giving a proper price for quality value, it is not like we should take getting AMoL for granted, let alone getting 750 000 words of a masterpiece for the price of one novel.

The release schedule is of course different, though I still tend to sympathise with business realities, I of course hope it will be soon, very soon after BS has finished writing them.

I can but echo Luckers' outrage. Splitting in two is reasonable. In three is excessive. How long will we have to wait for these extra books? I'm not happy with this, nor should any of you be. This is a rip off. As is release over a two year period. In other words, having to wait till 2011. Quite possibly November 2011 (if that two years doesn't start till the first is released). In other words, exactly what we feared. Now, what RJ used to say about it being one volume even if they had to invent a new binding process is one thing, but they could at least make an attempt to go along with his wishes. We are not looking at 3x TSR, we are looking at something more akin to WH, one of the shorter entries in the series. With the length given, this could easily be done in two volumes, and they shouldn't try to pretend otherwise. Had they made it two, a year apart or just a couple of months, it wouldn't be a problem. This is a terrible way to treat the fans.

be glad you are getting it at all she could easily have left it unfinshed and been within her rights to do so !!!

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the announcement that aMoL will be released in not 1, not 2, but 3 volumes!? I say this not because we will have to wait longer but I don't think that RJ would have approved.

see reply to mr ares above :P

3 books is just disrespectfull with fans and jordan's legacy. Binding issues? bite me ... 2 400k books would do fine... and with 2 books.. i don't care if we have to wait till late 2010 to read the ending... but with 3 books.. a year spaced each.... it's just more waiting for smaller books? Ah please... i feel outraged!!

i am so sorry that the nice dead man and his wife are not produceing the books fast enough for you. :( the mere fact that he is gone should in no way hinder your enjoyment derived from his labor!!!

Osan'gar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Luckers on Today at 07:33:11 AM

i think that you are seriously peeved and you have no right to be. we are fortunate that she wants to finish the story at all. others in her position have decided that no one can carry the torch and chose to let the story remain unfinished for eternity. yet here you are complaining because of some perceived sleight to RJ and to the fans. no one knew him or cared about him the way she did. he entrusted this to her when he could have used a lawyer. he did that because he trusted her judgement, and her ability to make decisions. i think this decision is almost entirely based on finacial reasons because she and tor have lost a viable means to make a profit. but it was also based on getting a quality product released in a timely manner. you could read the first book and preorder the second while they are still editing the third. or you could wait another year or two to get anything at all. i do not think i agree with the decision but i think it is wrong to villify her for making it or acceding to it. remember no matter how much we love it, it is a product produced by a bussiness for the express purpose of generating revenue. this is absolutely about money. our money. instead of getting irate perhaps you should channel that energy into a letter writing campaign to TOR to release it the way he wanted it. i will sign on if you do

How dare you.

People have accused me of arrogance in the past, so lets acknowledge that in full form--do you understand who and what I am? The time I've invested in this series, the respect I've given it? Once upon a stage there was even a thread suggesting i was Robert Jordan in disguise. I don't give a shit about any of that, but you must understand the amount of dedication to this series required for that to have happened. We are talking of years here.

Had Hariet chosen to let the series go i would have been devestated. I would have understood, but it would have been terrible. But she did not. She chose to progress with it. Not in allowing someone else to run it, she chose specific control. That places the onus of responsibility on her.

How dare you question my outrage. My absurd geekiness grants me that right, and I challange anyone who says differently.

I respect Hariet and what she's done deeply, and i definately sympathise with her position--but i am not outraged because of an insult to James. I do not actually believe anything she could do COULD insult James--her love for the man has been so consistently clear that such an idea defies reason. My problem is an insult to the fans. And that i sustain.

--edited to add the quote to which i was replying.

I'm sorry, did you bother to read this thread before posting? What does the load Brandon Sanderson has have to do with anything? As the most vocal opponent to this i feel justified in saying we have complete respect for Mr Sanderson's load. We have no problem with the time he needs to complete the novel, nor would we if he comes to need to extend it.

We have a problem with the way the books are being marketed. It is unnessasary, it has no relevance to the nature or the quality of the story, and seemingly only involves the desire to sell more books.

That, we have a problem with. That, we've stated. And that, we sustain.

Like most of us, I was a little annoyed with the 3-split, and the fact that they might be released so far apart, but I think that reading this here that Brandon posted on his blog makes things much more clear:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

It seems to me like the decision was made for many reasons, both business (to appease bookstores, and to be honest, give Tor more business) but I believe Brandon in that mainly, he decided to split it as he is so that we can have a book this year. Personally, I don't care if I have to pay for three books. The fact that I get to read one book THIS YEAR, only a few months away, is wonderful. Like Brandon said, the last part of the book, be it one volume or two or three, was always going to not be released until summer 2011ish. If a 3-way split is what it takes for us to be able to read at least a third of AMOL this year, then I say so be it. That's perfectly fine with me.

EDIT: Maj beat me to it, but my post is the same

I'm a little irritated, but ... I think "outraged" is going a little too far for me, personally.

Its a story.  As one who has also invested an awful lot of time in this particular story (about 17 years, thats almost from the very beginning), I have spent as much time waiting and wanting as just about anyone.  And as one who works with literature on a daily basis and is fully cognizant of its value and importance to society, I think its important to keep this in perspective.  We will get the whole story, in a form as complete as possible.  There are much more important things to be "outraged" about.

Is Tor publishing it in an extra volume unnecessarily?  I suppose thats possible, but I honestly don't think it's likely.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this story go beyond 750,000 words at this point, and anything beyond 800,000 would truly be undoable in two volumes, in any practical sense.  Brandon and Harriet may feel obligated to include some things that Jim might have cut out himself, had he completed the work.  They have to err on the side of inclusion, in what has essentially become a legacy piece.  So, the decision to go to three may indicate that the length is even greater than the 750,000 estimate currently in place.

Yes, the 750,000=250,000 X 3 "explanation" can come across as a little condescending, but I personally doubt it was meant that way.  That was not a lengthy interview, and not the place for an explanation of all the possible conditional publishing outcomes that went into the decision.  It has been my experience that shortened explanations often become simplistic, and can therefore seem condescending even when that is not the intent at all. I have a feeling that a more lengthy discussion would end up being much more satisfying, but that simply isn't possible in a press release or a three line answer in a one page interview.

So, I choose to regard this as good news; I will get more Wheel of Time in the fall!  This is an unusual writing process, and we as fans are (quite rightfully) demanding the highest quality work. I feel inclined to give them the leeway to do that, even though I don't really like the notion of splitting it into three volumes.

After reading Brandon's blog on the subject, I may not like the decision to split into three books, but I do understand it. But I think the key point is, no matter how the books are split/unsplit/marketed, we wouldn't get the ending til 2011 in any case, as Brandon so stated. And he's also stated it looks to be 800k minimum at this point. With how off he's been with estimates, I wouldn't be surprised with having three books each at 300k.

Brandon has also stated that the 300k for volume 1 is a good enough story to stand on its own. I trust him in that. So I say, bring on volume one!

well, everybody involved with the book knew that it was going to be a big undertaking....but it seems that they may have underestimated exactly how big. Robert Jordan said he was going to make it one book, and of course, that's what they were trying to stick to. As you can see from the link that maj posted, there is no way that the book could ever have been 1 book. and as drizzt points out, any way you look at it, 1 book or split in 3, you won't get to read the final ending until 2011.

As for me, I'd much rather read something every year, inching closer to the end, than have to wait 2 years to get my hands on the end. I don't think I'd be able to handle waiting 2 years to finally figure out anything that got left off unsaid from the last book.

Also, I say to Brandon take all the time you need to make this an awesome conclusion! I'm glad he's not trying to cram every little thing into the orinigal estimate of 250k words. And if he says it's going to be more than 800k, i say rock on Mr. Sanderson!

Waiting for 3 books is going to suck, obviously, but I get nervous just thinking of how good this book is going to be. With how much time and effort Brandon and everybody else is putting into it. It's not out yet but all I've got to say is good work everyone. Can't wait!!  ;D

A cool point if Red Eagle can get a good running going with the movie, by the time we all finish the last book, the movie might be coming out a few months after that. That's mostly wishing, but a fun thought.  :)

p.s. I know, i jumped around big time, more thoughts just came.

Ok, so they've done us the honour of an explanation--and fact is that i agree with it, though Tor could have done it sooner, formally, rather then put Brandon in the position they did. But im glad that its come. Thing is I agree with most of it, but, since I've been so vocal against it i feel i should pay both Hariet, Brandon and Tor the honour of a detailed response. Especially since i don't appologise for anything i said--how problamtic is that? In reguards to what i already stated i post the following, in reguards to my current thoughts i place my final paragraph which i will put in italics.

Things i agree with.

Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps readers would have preferred a single, condensed volume so that they at least knew what happened. But I just couldn't do it. The Wheel of Time deserved better.

Absolutely. No problems whatsoever.

But this had never been about the pay for me. I'd been put in charge of this project. I wanted to do what I felt Mr. Jordan would have done. By this point, I'd already warned Tom and Harriet that I saw the length being very large, but I hadn't told Tom the 700-800k number. When I'd mentioned 400k to him once, he'd been wary. He explained to me that he felt 400k was unprintably large in today's publishing market.

No problem. Total respect.

In January, Tom called Harriet and they talked. At this point, I'd hit my 400k goal, and I knew that I was only about halfway done. (If even that far along.) Very little of that 400k had been revised or drafted. Tom and Harriet chatted, and several things came up. One of the most dominating points was this: it had been four years since the fans had been given KNIFE OF DREAMS. Tom felt that we NEEDED to provide them a book in 2009. They couldn't wait until I finished the entire volume to publish something.

I more than agree with this, i respect it. Considering what i was just saying in the above comments you should understand the degree to which i mean that.

1) You can decide not to print anything until the entire novel is finished. That means letting Brandon write until the end, then revising the entire thing at once, followed by printing the book (either as one enormous volume or several chunks, released in quick succession.) Last summer and fall, this was what I was hoping we'd be able to do.

If you make this choice, the readers don't get a book in 2009. You're not sure when they'll get a book. Brandon took a year to write 400k words, and feels that he's around halfway done.

So, if you choose this option, let's say Brandon writes all 2009, delivers you a rough draft of a full, 800k book in 2010. 800k words would take roughly eight months to edit and revise. Production would take another eight months or so. (Minimum.) You'd be looking at releasing the book somewhere in summer 2011. Perhaps one volume in June and another in August.

Respect. Split it.

Things im concerned about.

2) You could publish the 400k as they are done right now. If you do this, the readers do not get a book in 2009. 400k would take roughly four months to revise (and that's rushing it), and you'd have to put the novel into production with a January or February 2010 release date. That's not too far off the November 2009 date you'd promised people, so maybe they would be satisfied. But you'd leave them with a story that literally cut of right in the middle of several plotlines, which did not have tied up resolutions. .

Fair enough--though consider, not getting a book in 2009, but getting one in early 2010, followed by completion in 2011 in the long run stands better than getting one in late 2009, one in late 2010, and one in late 2011--i get that this is a matter of months, but Brandon raised this as a plus.

Not to mention that monatarily on our behalf the prior suites better than the former--i dont care about such, but considering the following comment, it seems significant...

Things I don't agree with.

However, in this scenario, you end up releasing two fractured books, and the bookstores are mad at you for their size. (Which may translate to the bookstores ordering fewer copies, and fans being mad because they can't find copies as easily as they want--this is what happened with Mistborn Two, by the way.). Beyond that, you missed releasing a book in the holiday season, instead putting one in the dead months of early 2010.

This--this i have problems with. Given the success of the Wheel of Time series, given the number of bestsellers listed within, do you really think that this scenario would have better sales, or that splitting it into three would correct this? With respect, this is not the Well of Ascension.

This entire paragraph seems more about the publishers getting the best monatary deal possible--which i can understand, but cannot hide my disgust. I can understand this being the best form possible, but Brandon seems to be trying to formulate this whole deal in the terms of the best for the readers, yet his only concession about that is that it is not in a single volume.

Are we to ignore that money is playing its part? Even though in the long term we don't care? I mean, you could be honest.

Now of course all of the above is made utterly irrelevent by Brandon's statement that the story best suits this--i cannot argue with that. I actually respect it. The handling of this was poor, the argument for it badly presented--but in the long run, if the author genuinely feels its required, we have to respect that.

Also, I say to Brandon take all the time you need to make this an awesome conclusion! I'm glad he's not trying to cram every little thing into the orinigal estimate of 250k words. And if he says it's going to be more than 800k, i say rock on Mr. Sanderson!

Waiting for 3 books is going to suck, obviously, but I get nervous just thinking of how good this book is going to be. With how much time and effort Brandon and everybody else is putting into it. It's not out yet but all I've got to say is good work everyone. Can't wait!!  ;D

A cool point if Red Eagle can get a good running going with the movie, by the time we all finish the last book, the movie might be coming out a few months after that. That's mostly wishing, but a fun thought.  :)

b]

.....Word! I dont mind paying for 3 books at all, i know that Mr.Sanderson will give us an awesome piece of work, and i will love it all the way. +800k words right now...oh my god, this will be awesome hehehe.

EDIT: We still have a small problem though....in Sweden all books are splitted in to two volymes (exept NS) and that will make the last 3 books in to six volymes in Sweden :(

What would RJ say? I have no idea because I never knew the man personally, but the impression I have is that he was quite a gentleman. I think he would say "thank you, Brandon, for taking time from your own writing projects to finish my life's work and to do it well, not rushed and incomplete. Thank you, Harriet, Light of my life, for continuing to devote your life to my work and my dreams even now that I am gone. Go do something purely for yourself, next. Thank you, Tom, for taking a risk on a lengthy trilogy that turned into a project bigger than anyone could imagine. And thank you, fans, for caring so much."

One more thought, regarding the extra money we will be shelling out for three rather than one or two books: You get what you pay for. If Brandon had rushed and squeezed this into one book that we could pay one price for, it would be cheaper but also worth   less. I'm willing to pay more, especially as at least some of that excess money will go to a man who is spending sometimes 80 hours a week working on this project.  Who knows how the contract is set up, but if it is a typical advance + loyalties, Brandon is not getting paid by the hour. Hopefully the loyalties on three books will make those 80 hour weeks worth his time. I'm happy to pay well for a job well done.

And thank you, Jestr1323.

Archived