DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

URGENT - ALL INVOLVED WITH INTRO TO SAIDAR READ PLEASE !

Elgee

Just a heads up: seems we've been doing this part of the class wrong in the past few months, due to confusing language being used:

What you are going to do is identify each element with its color, and then try to PICK/PULL individual threads out from it.

They are NOT supposed to try and PULL the threads out (that's unpicking a Weave, which is expressly forbidden by all except the Aiel Wise Ones).

They must simply POINT to the individual ones, and try to IDENTIFY them.

Isn't it with Aiels that 'weaves' are to be picked apart? Pulling threads is doable, but picking apart weaves isn't.

There is a difference between a "Weave" and a "Thread" that is being used in this class. take 5 threads of string, and lay them across each other. Now pull them apart.

Take those same five threads and make them into a braid. It's a little harder to pull that apart, isn't it?

"Pulling" Is Okay so long as the threads are not woven together.

Isn't it with Aiels that 'weaves' are to be picked apart?

That's what I said.

And in the classes that have been taught so far, there were various forms, but in all of them the different threads / elements were woven into something. That would be picking apart a weave.

Yes, but you generalized which could be confusing to someone who isn't as familiar with the difference between 'threads of Saidar' and 'weaves of saidar'. Maybe clarify a little better and that could help avoid confusion. :)

As I was the one who re-wrote this class, I know what my intentions are when I changed it from Eleanor Sedai's original.  Here is the new wording:

“In order to weave you must know what the elements are. The five elements are Air, Water, Fire, Earth, and Spirit. I’m going to show you which threads are which.” Claire then embraced the Source and strands of all five elements together into a thick rope.  The threads wrapped tightly around each other in a spiral pattern; each thread stood out clearly. “Now can you tell me which thread is which?” Gaiya pressed a finger to her lips in thought, and then answered, “Air is Blue, Water is Green, Spirit is White, Fire is Red and Earth is Brown.”

Claire was pleased that the Novice had caught on so quickly. “Good, I see you have been studying. Now child, I want you to come up and work with me to identify the different threads. You will have problems doing this at first, but if you work hard it will get easier.” 

In the old version of the class, it said each student would come 'pick out the threads' of the weave.

If anybody has any concerns with how the classes are being rewritten, please address Elgee or myself in a PM.  This will let us address the issue with you without muddying the waters in a forum topic.

Thanks!

Claire

Thanks, Claire  :D

I think the problem came in because person A RPd the class, using the original class, but changing the words slightly (as one should), then person B used person A's version, and along came person C who used person B's, version, and so forth. It's only while I was writing up that part of the Class for one of Arani's characters the other day that it struck me.

Thank heavens you're now writing up templates for those classes, Claire! Hopefully that will prevent further oopsies.

And yes - by all means PM someone when you spot something you wish to talk about - none of us are infallible.

The way i handled it in the Intro to Saidar class i taught, i handled them as five different threads. Despite it technically being five 'weaves' at once, a single thread would (imho) be a 1 strength 1 skill weave, and therefore not a problem to anyone of Accepted or AS rank.

But yeah, i never saw them as a weave, just five 'color coded' threads which would be placed close to each other, and the Novices would then essentially try to pull a weave (thread) away from the other four.

Given that they're single thread weaves, 'thread' and 'weave' amount to the same thing when referring to them... But that's just me.

I'll try to be clearer next time though ^^;

That sounds much better, I didn't have any issues with what you said Elgee, we all know about the Aiel and since we aren't, we wouldn't have learned to do that, lol but I can see how anyone can get confused with anything, it happens to all of us at some point. Claire I love that!