DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cool Attacks

lt;(^-^)gt;

Bludgeons of Air, lightning, fireballs, balefire, deathgates, exploding heads, erupting earth, shadowspawn-seeking energy balls, etc.  There are lots of different ways to kill with the Power.  RJ thought up some cool ones, and I hope to see more in aMoL.  However, I can't help thinking that, if I were a channeler with the Last Battle looming, I would be developing my own fighting style.  How would YOU kill with the power, given enough time to practice/develop the skills needed?  Consider that you may be forced to fight other channelers one-on-one.

I like the idea of manipulating physical weapons with Air, like wielding four swords at once.

Another technique could be to weave a large cloud/fog around myself, hiding my exact location and providing a source of lightning.

Illusions would be a cool weapon too, like weaving a body double of myself to confuse the enemy.

I can probably list more but I want to leave some for the rest of you!

I think Air is under utilized as a weapon.  Take Cyndane's quick exit from the darkfriend she was talking to leading up to the Cleansing.  She razored the guys head off and pushed him away w/ minimal effort.  Fire might make more of a show and create more immediate fear but a 5o foot razor of Air slicing through a battalion of troops would be much more effective and clean, imo.

Also, why are shields utilized so seldomly?  LT wove some strong ones during key moments, why not walk around w/ one more often, esp when parading through crowds on horseback?  I'd have one up as often as I was walking around, especially after the Cleansing.

Against other channelers, the battle w/ Asmodean heading to Rhuidean and against Sammael when taking Illian were the best use of the power as weapons, imo.  In large scale battles, you need healers, shielders (from missile attacks) and then offensive channelers.  As a distance weapon lightning is okay but the ground errupting thing of the Seanchan is kind of light-weight.  I'd much prefer walls of fire (ala Moiraine in EotW) and mass explosions that didn't have to fly the distance to their destination.  Inverted razors of air at knee level in the path of enemy forces would be a great one as well.  Of course, shielding channelers and knocking them out (ala Rand at Dumai's Well) seems very +EV.

The Ashaman attack at Dumai's Well was a bit gruesome but very effective as a psychological weapon on top of the physical explosions of heads.  As a weapon of mass destruction though, it seems like something else could be used more effectively.  [/ramble]

edit: the moving, opening and closing gateways against Trollocs late in the series seems like a waste of the power.  Gateways require a good bit of the one power to create but that much of the power used as simple fire and explosions or slicers of air would seem like a much better use of that quantity of the one power.

I would implement a razor air strategy, a razor edged piece of air would arc above us and spin around at mach speed so nothing could pass. Two if these would be used, spinning in different directions. We would each have our own personal bubbles or air to protect us from falling shards of metal and other debri. This protects us, but i dont wanna live boxed in... I would have a few channelers (numbers vary on size of group) to make sure the shields stay intact. The rest of us would devote our energy to swining a tiny piec of air aout the same thickness of rzor wire, around us. It would kill all the shadow spawn within a certain distance. Only one of us woul remain, his job would be to wathc out for dreadlords. He he spotted one he would warn us and the channelers spinning the razor wire would stop and we would link to anialate the dreadlord.

All in all a group of ten channelers could kill 100,000 shadow spawn if not more wtih this strategy.

(2 for shield, 7 fr the razor wire, 1 for lookout.)

Also, why are shields utilized so seldomly?  LT wove some strong ones during key moments, why not walk around w/ one more often, esp when parading through crowds on horseback?  I'd have one up as often as I was walking around, especially after the Cleansing.

If you are thinking of the one that Rand used in the attempt on his life in Cairhien by Dashiva and Rochaid and co., it was a "nothing gets in, nothing gets out" type of shield.  So you would suffocate while using it.

I don't have any great ideas yet, but my fighting style would revolve more around deception, speed, mobility, versatility, and finesse than brute-strength weaves.  It would also depend on whether I was fighting on my own or in a unit.  Up against other channelers, I'd probably implement a simple strategy.  While they were focusing on their crazy air weaves, I'd drop the ground out from under them.   8)

I think the idea of a "nothing gets in Nothing gets out" shield would work well for a weapon.

like, when rand is trying to kill the men in the streets(sry cant think of exactly when this was, but was right after he got attacked /sorry@theVagueness).

he could have just shielded them, then slowly closed the shield in around them. no sound would have been perfect for that situation.

I sometimes think that one vs. one Power battles are kind of boring - it seems like they just flail out at long range until they get a hit, or struggle to shield/sever each other without moving.  There is not much strategy.  At least the sword forms have names and counters which give a mental picture of what is going on.

If I was a dreadlord Asha man taking Rand one on one, I would train and figure out how to make myself invisible, to project an illusion of myself, and to carry an inverted shield around (tie it to myself in a way that it doesn't activate, and I can 'pick it up' again and use it later.  Obviously there is no evidence this is possible - but I think it could be).  While Rand is distracted by my illusion (probably a short time) I would have the inverted shield ready.  Then sever him, travel to location with 13 and 13, heal him, shield him, turn him to the dark.

Guest Dreadlord

Wow what a subject! If I were as strong as Rand I would be able to handle ten or more flows (we saw this in TDR I think) so I would weave ten head-exploding weaves but aim at different parts of the body, in an attempt to confuse and overwhelm the opponent-not many could keep up with that I think.

I have to say though, I think balefire is probably my favorite "spell" for want of a better word, that I have ever come across in any fantasy. An attack that undoes your actions...genius

I'm not sure if you would call it a weapon,but a defensive strategy for an army.

When camped for the night,set 100's if not 1000's(if you have several channelers)of air razors around your position. A forrest of razors. Inverted of coarse and tied off so others cant see or detect them.

I think if an attacker ran into something like that it would give them pause.

warping time, aura of heated air that burns anyone that gets close to you, drain the water out of your opponent (body is mostly water you know), freeze the fluids in your opponent, plant a small bubble of air in your opponents blood stream. Seriously though the best weapons are often the least flashy.

For mass killing auras that follow you around or you could set away from you would be ideal. Basically this would be like the wards AS use now, however used to kill instead. The other things would be field of death spells; like rotating sharp blades of air eviserating anything near.

Kirby- have i mentioned how much i love your account name lately?

anyways I've always thought that control over water would be the most affective since after all- humans are 70% of the stuff.

A simple weave to draw out moisture would instantly mummify someone and they would die a quick and extremely painful death as they suffered multiple massive organ system failures within a few moments

Archived