DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone miss Rand/Egwene?

RAND AL THOR

No not really, it's quite common for people (especially people of the age 18/16 as Rand/Egwene were) to realise that actually, they are not going to make anything of their 'relationship'. Which they didnt have, really.

They had been 'promised' to each other, but there was no suggestion that they had any sort of physical relationship, and no mention whatsoever of whether Egwene was actually attracted to Rand. The only mention that we have is where she realises that 'she will never marry Rand'. Almost an arranged marriage I suppose, although they did know each other.

I think it also became clear quite early on in the series that Rand and Egwene both had bigger fish to fry, and whereas Egwene would have been 'content' so to speak, to marry Rand, Elayne was madly in love with him.

All in all, given their ages, the fact that they weren't really 'in a relationship', and that they both discovered other callings (Rand as the Dragon and channeling, Egwene wanted to be an Aes Sedai), I dont find it odd particularly.  :)

I have never liked Egwene, she is an ass.  Rand is troubled, it's not that i do not like him, he is just what he is.  So, no I do not miss the fact that they are not together, it would be as painful to read as Perrin and Falie is to read, not to mention reading about Elayne.

Yeah, I would have much prefered if Rand and Egwene would have ended up together. Maybe a little break up would be nice, but then to have had them get back together in the end. It did seem funny that the two books spent so much time on their relationship, and then it was just *poof* gone, and on to 3 other women instead.

I will also agree that as the books progressed Egwene turned into a bit of an ass, where before she was the sweet girl next door type that the boy in the neighborhood have a crush on.

In Egwene's accepted testing we saw her and Rand married. It tore her heart out to leave him and their daughter to return to the white tower. She gave that up in her heart the moment she took that first step back towards the arch. Rand however well being taverein had more to do with what happened to him. He was meant to be with Min, Elayne, and Aviendha so his own mind pulled him towards them and away from Egwene. All this combined they still remain friends I believe. In a lot of scenes in the books since The Shadow Rising RJ made it clear that Rand and Egwene did still love each other but as brother and sister. Egwene will when it comes down to it, once she has total control of the white tower announce full support for Rand.

In AMOL when the end comes, Rand will be standing with his family. Egwene, Nyneave, Mat, Perrin, Elayne and Aviendha will be at his side giving him the strength that being with family dose when your troubled and afraid. And regardless of what anyone thinks of Rand he is troubled and afraid. He has been for a while and hasn't really had that family support he has needed which I think will come to him more in AMOL.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif     anim-ring.gif

Guest Dreadlord

Im glad Rand didnt end up with her, she has annoyed me since the start pretty much, but I wouldnt say I hate her like a certain other woman. Of all the women Rand loves or thought he did love I think Aviendha is the only one that is worth the fuss; Aviendha plays hard to get, he gets her, and then she plays impossible to get. She is the only good one of the four (counting Egwene). Aviendha and Tuon would get along quite well I reckon, although Im not sure where that last bit came from...

I was kinda happy at the time, because IMO in the early books Egwene is kind of a jerk to Rand.  She improved herself in my eyes during the events of COT and KOD, but she still doesn't really attempt to understand the situation which Rand is in.

I like that they split up, it was a great show of how they had moved on. I just feel sorry for Egwene, having to fall for a jerk like gawyn.

Maj, I am shocked to see that we disagree on something.  ;D

I hope you're not disagreeing about the comment on Gawyn, because that guy is a jerk in every possible way.

What I don't like about Egwene is that she jumps to conclusions about Rand. When she heard about the Aes Sedai who swore allegiance to Rand, she immediately assumed that he had Compelled them.

Of course, it's not exactly her fault that she didn't know that they had kidnapped him. I don't think anybody in the White Tower except Elaida and Alviarin know that.

I wonder how she will react when she learns about the 47 Asha'man Rand is sending to her to be bonded as Warders... and that the Hall has accepted the offer...

to start with i did, but the more the story progressed the more i interpreted that Rand's relationships are connected to his being Ta'veren.

in the early books Egwene was of major importance, but Aviendha, Elayne and Min offer him more of what he needs coming to the last battle.

though i am possibly too methodical in my approach and should embrace the romantic inside  ;D

So, I take it you dislike Mat for jumping to conclusions about Egwene in Salidar then?

And Rand for jumping to conclusions about Elayne, and her "need to be rescued" from Salidar?

And...Pretty much all major characters, since jumping to conclusions is about as common as red hair among the Aiel.

Rand and Egwene are the two primary protagonists of the story, in my opinion. Their progressions from country bumpkins to world leaders (with an infuriating combination of competence and ignorance) are very nicely paralleled throughout the entire series, even to the point where Egwene has become "hard" in many ways.

If they had stayed together as lovers, that arc would not have been nearly as possible, because they'd have remained entangled directly. This way, they remain in similar orbits, but never touching.

If they had stayed together as lovers, that arc would not have been nearly as possible, because they'd have remained entangled directly. This way, they remain in similar orbits, but never touching.

That arc, is the key. There are certainly many other ways things could have turned out even if they had stayed together.

I still like the idea of having them grow apart as they did, but then have them reunite at the end.  ;D

But I admit to being more of the traditional romantic, as opposed to hey let's have a 3-some marriage.  ;D

I do kind of miss Rand + Egwene, mostly because it felt a lot more honest than their other relationships. I mean really, Rand has spent at most a month in proximity to Elayne IN THE ENTIRE SERIES, and like 98% of that was in Tear, where they were each busy with their own thing until the last four days. I don't recall ever reading anything about Egwene's interest in Gawyn until she fell face-first into his wet dream, and then I'm to just accept she's in love with him? She never even gave him a second glance before between her tenuous commitment to Rand and stalking Galad. Their breakup might have felt more honest if we'd actually gotten to see them spend time finding out they weren't right for eachother. And I don't buy that Egwene simply erased her feelings for Rand in her Accepted test.

Of course she didn't "erase" her feelings for Rand. But they'd already realized, I think, that their paths were going different ways (as early as Fal Dara), and Egwene's capture by the Seanchan only accelerated that. He latched onto Min in that time, and she latched onto her anger, and later Galad/Gawyn. I also think you might have overlooked the (mostly offscreen) canoodling that Gawyn and Egwene do in LoC.

But I admit to being more of the traditional romantic, as opposed to hey let's have a 3-some marriage.  ;D
As a polyamorous (and romantic) individual, I was always pleased to see the 4-way quadrangle of R/M/A/E handled with relative grace compared to most dysfunctional love triangles. :D

I do not miss the "relationship" between Rand & Egwene, not yet anyway.

They both have found someone else (in Rand's case, 3 others) to be in-love with; and each of the others having good character.

And also they remained friends with each other.

I might have missed it if they found no one or became in-love with someone who is bad.

I might also have missed it if they became enemies.

Of course she didn't "erase" her feelings for Rand. But they'd already realized, I think, that their paths were going different ways (as early as Fal Dara), and Egwene's capture by the Seanchan only accelerated that. He latched onto Min in that time, and she latched onto her anger, and later Galad/Gawyn. I also think you might have overlooked the (mostly offscreen) canoodling that Gawyn and Egwene do in LoC.

Erm, yeah, the canoodling that happened after she declared with no prior warning that she was in love with him.

I sorta did a little for about 2 seconds but I think they would have eventually drove each other crazy. She does not know how to handle him and despite what she seams to think, she does NOT know him very well either. I am now very glad they are not together. I never "liked" her in the beginning and now my dislike of her has now grown to near Gawyn loath.

I DO think they were close at one time, and during both books 1 and 2, they cared very much for each other. There are MANY examples showing this as well as of how concerned they were for each other in particular. Rand was certainly NOT bashful about kissing Elayne either, so he must have done that before and Egwene is the only one that could be. Perhaps they only experimented with each other but Egwene even told Aveindha that when she was 16 she wanted to ask her mother's permission to marry Rand, I have always wondered what made her decide that at that time.

It was after the events in Falme that their relationship started to turn. And after TDR it REALLY turned sour. At this point they both realized they no longer "loved" each other but where he does go on to treat her like the younger sister that she is, I have never seen the "love you like a brother" from her. At this point she is alway second guessing him and treats him like an idiot YOUNGER brother. She complains about everything he does even thinking at one point "what else has he done that I have to fix". She never even hugs him anymore(when she was able too, I mean). The last time she did anything like that was in Fal Dara! You don't need to be in love with someone to hug them, as anyone who considers them a friend at the very least, would do.

My hope is that if Rand does die in AMOL :( , she realizes how horrible she was to him and how great a man he was.

I am glad of the breakup myself. I think that Egwene's vision in the arches could have happened in the 'different' world because neither of them left the Two Rivers. Egwene, like Nynaeve, would have gotten past the wilder part of being Aes Sedai and she either would have helped Rand to a (hopefully) non-violent death. He would have died anyway, but maybe not as a raving lunatic.

But once they had left the Two Rivers, even if Rand wasn't the dragon Reborn, he was slowly drawing away from Egwene because he found himself in a whole new world and he didn't like Egwene being Aes Sedai. It would be nice to see a 'welcome back' to the Two Rivers with 2 more mansions going up for Mat/Tuon and the 4some and everyone living happily ever after with Loial writing the tales for Thom to sing...

Archived