spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

I think that my favorite character is Nynaeve because I actually think that I am myself just as stubborn as she is so I find it admirable aspect of personality rather than annoyance. It is some times also funny to read about her so thats why she is my favorite character.

Myeah.. I've been thinking of quitting this community for a few days now and it seems the time has come. Too few if any seem to share my views of WoT so I guess my thread doesn't belong in this Pattern along with the threads of y'all. Have fun finishing the series!

No reason to get mad beause people do not share your view on a person in the book, look at like RJ did a great job in making these people come alive in the books.  I do not share the views of several people that post here, I certianly would never get mad over it.  This forum is for discussing the the great series RJ made.  With a series of this size and so many people in the books, there is no way everyone will agree with everyone.  There is a mod who post here who thinks he wrote the series, just do what i do and when a person who you do not like post, ignore them like they did not post.

I know that i am upset that the Dark has 0 chance of winning, we all know this and yet we still keep on reading.  And I would have to say far more people would side with you on Perrin.

I think the phrase is 'Each to their Own' - no-one is obliged to agree with me, and I am not obliged to agree with them, but that's ok, we're all different. I like Perrin, but I dont like him with Faile. Personally, at this point in the story, I believe that Mat is a bigger character than Perrin but that's just my opinion.

The world is full of people who don't agree with us, it's what makes life interesting.

However, the definition of 'debate' is to formally argue different points of view, to put forwards different opinions in a logical manner without agression.

Not everyone has the oil-coated back required to let it all slide off however, but the trick is to pick out the bits that you can logically counter with our own opinions, and ignore the bits we can't put forwards our own arguments.

Eventually, we come out with a cohesive argument that most likely incorporates elements of several people's opinions.

And remember, the answer to every 'who dunnit' is always the same.

It was Bela.

Luckers: Hm... as between Pevara and Seaine Herimon, I go with Seaine. More of a klutz, but then I am a bit like that, so I find her more likeable. Besides, Pevara stood for Elaida and Seaine didn't. Yes she wasn't notified about the sitting, but that was because Elaida knew she would not have voted to depose Siuan---after all, Seaine had proposed Siuan in the first place, and that vote, as well as the vote to make Elaida Amyrlin had to be by the greater consensus. As for the other three, Doesine somehow does not stand out enough, and Yukiri and Saerin are both imprudent in a way that I find a bit disagreable. Yukiri thinks that Elaida should not be ``pulled down'' because the White Tower must be made whole, but she cannot see that Elaida is the chief obstacle to making the WT whole. And Saerin regrets standing for Elaida and says that she has ``proven herself a fool'', but with the Last Battle coming, she too cannot see that Elaida cannot be the leader of the WT at the Last Battle if the Light is to win. Then again, Saerin may turn on Elaida in AMoL and either support Egwene or stand neutral, we shall have to wait and see.

But I voted for Loial, for the same reasons as 42Bonzo88. But I could easily have voted for Thom, or for Siuan or Moiraine if they were on the list. (Anyone who has read <i>New Spring</i> and does not like Siuan and Moiraine is not paying attention. :-) For that matter, Siuan is one of RJ's most interesting creations.

And I agree that not having Min and Moiraine and Aviendha on the list was silly. And what about Siuan, or Gareth Bryne, or Leane, or Noal/Jain Charin or Egeanin/Leilwin? Or Morgase? Or Rhuarc? or Birgitte? Or Elyas? Or Tylin, Or Hopper :-) Nothing in the question makes in necessary to include only the most important characters. Anyway, Siuan and Moiraine <i>are</i> among the most important characters....

I am not sure I would call Pedron Niall one of the good guys. The plague of ``dragonsworn'' who afflict Altara and perhaps elsewheres is his doing after all.

I don't suppose one should be surprised that neither Elayne nor Gawyn have garnered any votes yet. Gawyn is a damned fool, and not for the reason he thinks. All the same, Elayne is important to the victory of the Light, I suspect (consider that she rediscovers how to make ter'angreal, for example), and it may well be that Elaida's fortelling about the royal house of Andor actually means both Mantear (Tigraine, and thus Rand) and Trakand.

But I think we can all agree that RJ was very good at creating interesting and complex characters....

By the way, surely Lews Therin Telamon belongs on the list. :-) Consider, for example, all the important things that Rand does with the power that really come from Lews Therin, and never mind Rand's recognition of Semirhage from Lews Therin's memories. It is also amusing that Lews Therin thinks that <i>Rand</i> is a madman. That is a nice touch on RJ's part. [i suspect that Lews Therin knows that Moridin is Ishamael. ``We are destroyers, you and I, and the other one''.] Anyone willing to vote for Lews Therin as a favorite character?

Guest Dreadlord

He is on my list of second favorites. I dont think Lews Therin knows who Moridin is YET, but I reckon Lews will be the one to figure it out. Speculation has been made over Moridins thoughts drifting over to Rand and Lews on one occasion-maybe in AMoL thoughts start to drift both ways, but Lews Therins thoughts also float across to Moridin, Moridin will identify the voice, and Lews Therin suddenly screams "ISHAMAEL!"

I most certinly would protest Perrin being on any list that includes the Good guys. Perrin was ready for the whole pattern to unwind because of Faile, he is not good at all, he is worse than any Forsaken, and any darkfriend in the books.
The Chosen went over to the Shadow for selfish reasons - jealousy, for example. They committed atrocities. Millions died in the Age of Legends. And yet somehow Perrin is worse than any of them, for wanting to recue his wife. They did what they did for themselves, he did what he did for someone else. And yet he, despite a lack of atrocities to his credit, and trying to save his wife, is worse than any of them? Would you mind explaining the reasoning there? And for all his talk about being willing to let the Pattern burn, look at his actions. When he comes up with a plan, he comes up with a plan that destroys the Shaido threat, rescues his wife, wipes out the Seanchan forkroot supply, destroys Masema's army, and opens the way for future negotiation with the Seanchan. That's quite a lot of good he did there. Apparently, actions do not speak louder than words...

However, the definition of 'debate' is to formally argue different points of view, to put forwards different opinions in a logical manner without agression.
Bugger that.

And remember, the answer to every 'who dunnit' is always the same.

It was Bela.

*Feeds trakand_01 into a meat-grinder* It's the only way you'll learn.

I am not sure I would call Pedron Niall one of the good guys. The plague of "dragonsworn" who afflict Altara and perhaps elsewheres is his doing after all.
For a given value of good. He walks in the Light. Plenty of other "good" guys have done bad, or at least dubious, things. Of course, my vote has to go to Mr Ares. My hero *swoons*

It was Bela.

I dunno.  Coming late to DM, I've never really understood the infatuation with this horse.  I hope to see a scene in AMOL where Bela becomes Trolloc dinner.  Why?  I don't have anything against Bela, I just like seeing legions of crying fans.  >:D

You bethcha Mr Ares,Perrrin was the 1st to accept that he was tied to the pattern, he new Rand needed him twice, or all esle will fail. He also knew that he had to be at the last battle.  In the battle of The Two Rivers, he was willy nilly crying about this kid, would have kids and his kids would have kids.

Knowing what he knows, he should have been more than willing to let Faile die, Faile is nothing compared to the Great Lord of the Dark taking over. He was certinaly slefish in my view,he had no idea how this would end, but yet he riskedd it all.  He was very selfish, and while the forsaken were and are selfish, no one of them could have torn the pattern like that.

There was no exuse for what he did, so in my eyes he is worse than the forsaken and any Freind of the dark. You can argue after that everything worked, but he certianly had no idea how it would go, so he was more than willing to let the Great lord take over the pattern. On the grand scale Faile is nothing, where Perrin knew he was needed. I know i am in the minority of view on Perrin, but any time I see his name, i think of how he could have made the Great Lord the new master of the pattern.

I voted for Galad because he is a hero, plain and simple. He always does what is right, no matter the cost or the risks to himself (He challanged a blademaster to get justice). Besides he is death incarnated with a sword (here im thinking on the scene where he is helping Elayne and Nyvanene to their ship, a group of the profets rabble is standing in the way and he walks into the middle of them and slaugthers them until they break and run).

The last reason i choose him were that he never thinks about himself.

It was Bela.
I dunno.  Coming late to DM, I've never really understood the infatuation with this horse.
I've been here longer than trakand, and I don't understand it either.

You bethcha Mr Ares, Perrin was the 1st to accept that he was tied to the pattern, he new Rand needed him twice, or all esle will fail. He also knew that he had to be at the last battle. In the battle of The Two Rivers, he was willy nilly crying about this kid, would have kids and his kids would have kids.

Knowing what he knows, he should have been more than willing to let Faile die, Faile is nothing compared to the Great Lord of the Dark taking over. He was certinaly slefish in my view,he had no idea how this would end, but yet he risked it all.  He was very selfish, and while the forsaken were and are selfish, no one of them could have torn the pattern like that.

There was no exuse for what he did, so in my eyes he is worse than the forsaken and any Freind of the dark. You can argue after that everything worked, but he certianly had no idea how it would go, so he was more than willing to let the Great lord take over the pattern. On the grand scale Faile is nothing, where Perrin knew he was needed. I know i am in the minority of view on Perrin, but any time I see his name, i think of how he could have made the Great Lord the new master of the pattern.

But the Chosen do have the power to tear the Pattern. But where Perrin could do it through failing to act, they would do it intentionally, through deliberate action. What you are saying is that Perrin being willing to risk all to rescue his wife is more evil than the chosen destroying the Pattern through deliberate intent, in an attempt to fulfill their own selfish, petty desires. That Asmo mutilating artists out of jealousy is better, that Ishamael wanting destruction of the entire universe for its own sake, that Aginor's research, the millions killed on acount of his desire to create monsters, Mesaana's indoctrination of children because she wasn't allowed to be a researcher, Semi torturing the populations of entire cities to death, all this and more is actually better than Perrin trying to rescue his wife. That's like saying Gandhi preaching non-violence makes him a bigger monster than Hitler or Stalin. The Chosen are guilty of crimes against humanity. Perrin is guilty of a perhaps over-zealous devotion to his wife - he may take it a bit far, but one can hardly blame him for his desire to rescue her. How on earth can you justify thinking Perrin is worse than any of the Chosen? While we're at it, why not include Mat in the monster category as well? How much time did he spend trying to avoid his responsibility?

While we're at it, why not include Mat in the monster category as well? How much time did he spend trying to avoid his responsibility?
And Rand. He would rather die than kill another woman.
So we've established that the three main male good guys are evil, far more so than their opponents, due to their unwillingness to murder women, accept that they are not in control of their own destinies, and reluctance to abandon loved ones, while the "bad" guys & gals are just amoral mass murderers, rapists, torturers, and so on. Nothing bad there. What are the women guilty of? I'm sure we can find evidence of some really monstrous actions on the parts of the wondergirls.

Seems like Rand won this poll, followed by the the legend that is Thom, House Andor got no love what so ever, thanks to everyone who voted and apologies to the characters that i missed out who were people's favourite although if someone wants to do a more complete poll of favourite good guys then i would enter my vote. thanks again to all who voted, and to those who gave reasons as well. :)

the women are guilty of trying to run everything, and then blaming the men for having to save them
In answer to your question about the wondergirls, Mr Ares, I would think the torturous way the braid has been pulled has caused terror, nausea, and flat out fustration in millions of people. Nynaeve deserves it. ;D
Of course! Braid pulling, ingratitude and trying to take charge! Not quite evil on the level of trying to save your wife (well, braid tugging may be worse), but all far, far worse than innocent pastimes like trying to destroy the world, mass murder, rape and torture. I don't see why so many people are so quick to demonise the Chosen.

Archived