DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Guild of Blades Summons Arrandion

Kara_J

Arrandion heeded the summons from the Guild of Blades and followed their orders to the letter. He had polished his armour until it shone. He'd sharpened and polished his blade, The Messenger of Justice, until he could see his reflection and not a speck of dust or spot of blood marked its surface. When he was finally convinced he was presentable he followed the Guild of Blades directions.

Eventually he came to an opening in a limestone hill and he took the torch that flickered in the wind from its holder. Stooping through the entrance he followed the trail through the caves, the warmth and sunlight quickly left behind, on occasion he saw his breath steam in front of his face. At times he was forced to almost bend double, wincing at the stabs of pain from his recent wounds.

Soon Arrandion became aware of a light growing ahead, so he discarded the torch and carried on. Bending through a small tunnel he found it opened out into a large cavern. Standing on a small strip of rock that protruded into the centre of a large lake were the Blademasters Grim, Achelous, Aislinnis, Galadriel, Rhian and Bellona all dressed in their finest armour, a thousand lights were reflected in the burnished facets of each. Each wore the black lined cloak of the Blademaster and the Blademaster pins. Around the circumference of the lake, the rest of the Infantry stood at attention, and behind them the other regiments were arrayed. As Arrandion walked forward towards the waiting Blademasters he saw a stone table behind them with a number of items spread across its surface.

As Arrandion approached, Blademaster Bellona raised her chin and in a commanding tone she spoke.

I ask that all that are present to withhold their comments until the ceremony had reached its completion. Arrandion! Step Forward and present yourself!

After venturing deep into the caves completely on his own, Arrandion was surprised to see so many banders in one place. Additionally all Blademasters were there as well - quite a view - he thought. The significance of that moment fell on him heavily, but he didn't hesitate and walked straight to the place where Blademasters stood. He stopped a few steps in front of them and then after getting a couple of deep breaths he spoke in clear voice:

Blademasters, here I am!

He bowed slightly and then straighten up waiting for Blademasters to speak.

Hopeful Arrandion! You are here to submit to the Judgement of the Guild of Blades so kneel and await their judgement.

When Arrandion had knelt, Blademaster Bellona spoke clearly.

Arrandion, you have come before the Guild of Blades to receive the title of Blademaster! Before you receive this I charge you with four duties: Guard the Band and its ideals, Guard the Infantry and our traditions, Guard your fellow soldiers and their lives, and finally, guard the innocent as if their lives were your own; until strength is gone, until blade is dull, until your life is lost. Do you accept these duties of a Blademaster?

Kneeling before Blademasters, Arrandion nodded with agreement and spoke clearly:

I'll guard the Band and its ideals,

I'll guard the Infantry and our traditions,

I'll guard my fellow soldiers and their lives,

and finally, I'll guard the innocent as if their lives were my own,

until my strength is gone, until my blade is dull, until my life is lost!

Hereby, I do accept these duties.

Aislinnis stood straight and tall, today she was representing the Guild of Blades as a blademaster, not as the Captain General of the Infantry.  She listened as Kara repeated to him the oaths that all who stood before him had sworn.  Her lips twitched briefly as he repeated the oaths that now made him one of them.  Her head tossed just a bit higher, and her shoulders straightened even more in their stance as she heard her name called forward.  Taking two steps to stand in front of Arrandion, she looked down and spoke in a clear voice so all could hear.

Arrandion, stand and present The Messenger of Justice

Rising from his kneeling position, Arradion unsheathed his sword and passed it to Aislinnis’ waiting hands. She took the blades with a slight inclination of her head and turned to the stone table behind her. Picking up the mallet, Aislinnis set the stamp made f Heart Stone against the blade and gave it a hard hit.  A burst of light erupted at each blow, blinding all those around for an instant and when the instant passes they see a fading blue glow on the blade where Asilinnis had struck them. Taking  The Messenger of Justice form the stone, Aislinnis hands it back at Arrandion who looks at the blade in wonder, noticing the Heron mark on both sides of the blades.

May this blade be there for you as a protection against all things evil as well as a warning to those that would foolishly dare to underestimate you. The Heron is the mark of a Blademaster. May he watch over you from here on and for all times.

Aislinnis stepped back and joined the other Blademasters once more. Nodding to Gala, she finishes...

Blademaster Galadriel will now present you the pin of the Blademaster.

Galadriel stood with her fellow Blademasters watching the ceremony unfold. Pride and pleasure fought for dominance inside her as her former Mahdi proudly stood before them all and her chest rose just an inch higher as he clearly spoke the Oaths that would bind him to them for all time. Aislinnis skillfully marked his sword and Gala couldn't hide a smile when Arrandion accepted his now Heron marked blade. Nodding in reply to Aislinnis, Gala stepped forward and took the small object from the velvet cushion on the table to her left.

Arrandion, it is my great pleasure to present you with the Blademaster Pin. Wear it proudly and for all to see and let it be a reminder of your duties and the Oaths you have taken. This pin is one of three items that mark you a Blademaster. But remember always that the truth of a Blademaster is found in his heart, his courage and his deeds.

No longer able to hide the bubbling pride inside her, Galadriel broke out in a huge smile as she fastened the pin on Arrandion's collar.

ClearBMPin.gif

Almost there, my Mahdi. She whispers with a wink as she stepped back and joined the Blademasters once more.

Blademaster Achelous stood to the side, standing tall as he watched the proceedings of a rare occasion. Turning around to the stone table, Achelous turned to again face Arrandion, but this time he had a bundle in his hands. Soft black fabric was bound into a small package. Holding it in front of him, Achelous spoke.

Arrandion, I present to you your own Cloak of the Blademaster.

Achelous pulled the bindings, and in one swift movement, the sleek cloak unfurled majestically and billowed in the cave's slight breeze. Stepping forward, Achelous moved it around Arrandion's shoulders and attached the cloak at his shoulder guards. Returning to his original position, Achelous spoke again.

Arrandion, you have come before the Guild of Blades an apprentice, but you stand before us now a master. You have sworn an oath, and you have been given the public markings of a Blademaster. There is but one last thing yet for you to do. Arrandion, it is time for you to declare your new name. You will always be Arrandion, but in symbolising the changes and advancements you have made toward this remarkable feat, you will choose a Blademaster name, a name which bears great importance to you and will long represent your good character, skill, and devotion to all that you are sworn to protect.

Arrandion, declare your name.

Blademaster Grim stood quietly with his fellow masters until Arra names himself.  Stepping forward, Grim looks down at the newest Blademaster. 

Blademaster Avermind, arise and join our ranks.

Grim embraces his new brother and allows the other Blademasters to congratulate him.  In a louder voice and directed at the spectators, Grim announces,

Fellow Infantry and Banders, I present to you Blademaster Avermind!  Come forward and offer your congratulations!  And then we shall procede directly to the merriment and drinking!  May you all look upon this man before you and strive to emulate his dedication and perseverance.  Let him be today’s leader that inspires tomorrows members.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived