DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

omg

RAND AL THOR

I have no troubles with this cover seeing as the height of those two has been plainly described over and over.

I have a lot more trouble with people saying all 3 ta'veren being of the same height or there abouts. In my mind Perrin and Mat are short guys (1.80/6 feet orso) and Rand is of normal height (1.90/6,6).

Might just be my view of the world imposed upon the books though:P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You count 6foot 6 to be 'normal'?? Where do you live?!

I have two major problems with the picture.

1. Lan looks like a very scruffy mean guy. and

2. Moirraine's horse looks kile an albino shetland pony.

Lan IS a mean guy, and it's unlikely he gets much chance to shave on the road with Moiraine.

I have a lot more trouble with people saying all 3 ta'veren being of the same height or there abouts. In my mind Perrin and Mat are short guys (1.80/6 feet orso) and Rand is of normal height (1.90/6,6).

1.8m is closer to 6'1", 1.9m is closer to 6.5"  Close enough, same general height range, but it looked weird having 10cm = 6 inches.

I am amused that even RJ can't stick to how tall his characters are.  Later in the books he makes so much more of Elayne being tall, and there it's listed at 5'6" which, while not short, isn't really tall either.  I got the impression from the later time with Aviendha that she and Elayne were just about the same height.  Which caught me completely off guard too - she didn't read as tall at all before she returned to Caemlyn.

Being that I'm 5'2" myself, I was always very happy with Morraine being tiny *and* imposing.

I was raised with horses.  The drawing on the cover of EotW is pitiful.

I definitely agree that the picture of Loial is no way near what I picture, even though my picture of Loial is a bit hazy

heck out some of Lord_of_chaos_jr's pictures. He does some pretty good renditions of the characters.

Here's the link:

http://seamassketches.blogspot.com/

but it looked weird having 10cm = 6 inches.

? ?? ?, I don't think anybody stated that. An inch is 2.5cm(well, close enough as makes no difference), and 180cm/72inches is exactly that, 2.5cm/inch.

No, ten decimeter would equal one meter.  I meant exactly what I said.  It was weird to see 10cm = 6 inch.  It would equal closer to 4 inches, which I showed in my first post. 

Much as I love to talk about math, (and I do, really, I'm a math nerd) it has very little to do with the topic at hand.  I was just correcting someone's generalization about metric to standard conversion.

I could have said it was "weird to see 1 dm = 6 inches," but since the issue we were having was conversion in the first place, I wasn't about to use a term even more obscure to the standard-using Americans.

Also, back on topic, I absolutely love Seamus's work.  We interviewed him and Jeremy Saliba in the Illuminators in June and it was an absolute treat to get to talk to them about their art and stuff.  If you're curious, that link is here.

I... quoted what I was talking about in my post.  o.o  He said 1.8m was 6 foot or so, 1.9m was 6'6".  That means the difference, 10 cm, was listed as being equal to 6 inches.  180cm is 70.9 inches.  1 inch = 2.54 cm.  That .04 adds up after 70 or so of them.

;), gotcha. The Metric System is fun isn't it? (Boo Imperial System)

Mat, the Mydrall and Morgase are really great on this!

I thought Tuon was really good too, and the new Perrin w/wolves.

No, ten decimeter would equal one meter.  I meant exactly what I said.  It was weird to see 10cm = 6 inch.  It would equal closer to 4 inches, which I showed in my first post. 

I could have said it was "weird to see 1 dm = 6 inches," but since the issue we were having was conversion in the first place, I wasn't about to use a term even more obscure to the standard-using Americans.

My mistake. I must have seen a "1" instead of a "10."

Tuon is black-skinned. Very black-skinned. RJ describes her hair with afro-caribbean characteristic swhen it starts to grow back, Mat describes her as a 'black china doll' or maybe an 'ebony china doll' I can't remember.

I think someone else comments on her being dark as the Sea Folk.

The Sea Folk are black-skinned too? lol.

You didn't think that the WoT world was just filled with white people did you, lol.

What do you guys think of the Eye of the World comic book preview? (In the Latest WoT news for those of you that haven't seen it yet)

I think all of the characters are good, except for Lews, he doesn't look like I pictured him at all. Though they are too ... perfect looking, but that's comic books for you.

I'm having a hard time identifying the male Chosen and for some reason Sammael has a goatee instead of a square beard.

Other than that, and Rand and Lews Therin wearing pretty much the same clothes after almost 4,000 years, I like it.

The Sea Folk are black-skinned too? lol.

You didn't think that the WoT world was just filled with white people did you, lol.

What do you guys think of the Eye of the World comic book preview? (In the Latest WoT news for those of you that haven't seen it yet)

I think all of the characters are good, except for Lews, he doesn't look like I pictured him at all. Though they are too ... perfect looking, but that's comic books for you.

Well... I kind of pictured the people he described as "dark" to maybe have Mediterranean-like complexions. Except for the Sharans. I thought they were black. I suppose I didn't pay too much attention to the details. I suppose that's what I get. Skip a Chapter-long bath-scene and you might also miss a few descriptions. Lol.

I'm having a hard time identifying the male Chosen and for some reason Sammael has a goatee instead of a square beard.

I had a little trouble with that myself but I believe they are in the picture with LTT:

First Row: Semirhage, Demandred, Ishamael

Second Row: Rhavin, Moghedien, Greandal

Third Row: Messana, Asmodean, Sammael

Back Row: Aginor, Lanfear, Be'lal, Balthemal

For the most part I like the art except that:

1. I don't like the look of LTT or Rand.  LTT looks like Bilbo Baggins from Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" movies, and Rand looks way too old.

2. Demandred doesn't have his prominant nose, which is probably his most distinguishing feature in the books.

3. Except for skin tone Demandred and Rhavin look almost identical.

4. Sammael's beard should be fuller and more square.

5. Ishameal should have actual flames in his mouth and eyes, not just a red aura.

6. Aginor needs to be more rotted in the picture with Rand.  His body is 3000 years old but he looks to be about the same age a Be'lal.

But other than these few things it if very good.

• 2 months later...

Archived