DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battle of the Bands - REGGAE vs. TRANCE (2nd Round)

Welcome back to Battle of the Bands Quarter Finals!  This week we have the Champions of Reggae and Trance duking it out for supremacy!

The Champion of Reggae... BOB MARLEY

Bob Marley is one of the most widely known performer's of ska/reggae music, and is credited for helping spread Jamaican music to the worldwide audience. His music style became known as the normal for Carribean music and was spread throughout the world. He has released several hits that have topped charts throughout the world, and the compilation album, Legend, released in 1984, three years after his death, is the best-selling reggae album ever, going 10 time platinum. Today, you can still here Marley hits just about everywhere you go, epecially in coastal regions, where his music fits in perfectly as you sit in the sand with an ice cold brew watching the tide come in.

Sample Song:  No Woman, No Cry

The Champion of Trance...ARMIN VAN BUUREN

Armin van Buuren, recently voted the number 1 DJ in the world, is one of trance's leading producers and DJs. Since 1995, when his first hit, Blue Fear, was picked up by a major label, Armin has turned out hit after hit consistently. Blue Fear was swiftly followed by an even bigger hit, Communication in the same year. With the success of his first two hits, Armin started up his own label, Armind and released two tracks working with Tiesto under seperate names, Alibi and Major League. His next hit was with System F, a track called Exhale, which reached gold status less than a month after it's release.

By 2001, he had his first #1 hit, The Sound of Goodbye, released under his other working name, Perpetuous Dreamer. In March of the same year, Armin started up his own radio show, entitled A State of Trance. The show features the latest tracks from big name producers and new artists. The show is now in it's 7th year having aired more than 350 episodes and is still as popular as ever, played on radio stations all across the world. It is a tradition of Armin's that every 50th episode will be held at a club somewhere in Europe, free of charge and featuring the DJ's most requested by his listeners including Armin himself.

His major studio albums include 76, released in 2003, Shivers released in 2005, a greatest hits complilation released in 2006 and his most recent release Imagine. All three are extremely popular and showcase Armin's talents as a producer and his ability to experiment with new sounds and often feature vocalists from other genres of music. In 2005 Armin launched a new event called Armin Only, in which he plays to up to 11,000 trance fans for 9 hours and features guest vocalists who have contributed to his music. This proved very popular and was followed by a second edition in 2006 and a third in April 2008. For the latest edition, Armin took the Armin Only concept on tour and played 8 different dates. As a very much fan-oriented DJ, he is always happy to spend time with his fans and give advice to aspiring DJ's, the best of which is "Don't be a prisoner of your own style".

Some of my favorite songs:

In & Out of Love

Shivers 

Sail

Communication Part 3

There you go - the two champions of Reggae and Trance. All you now need to do is pick who you want to win (please highlight in some way or another) and go through to the next stage of the Knock out and one step closer to the Grand Final! You have until Monday 28th July 2008 to make your choice!

Corki would do this to me and set it up this way. My favorite reggae artist and my fav trance DJ. :P

Blame Northie, would picked the numbers for the draw. ;)

And my vote goes to Bob Marley.

Today is the last day to vote if you haven't done so already (though I suspect I will allow you tomorrow before I open the next set of threads).

And Bob Marley currently leads Armin Van Buuren by 8 votes to 1.

Archived