DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sample Chapters of AMoL: Brandon aknowleges the possibility.

Hi all,

I recenty sent an e-mail to Brandon Sanderson inquiring as to whether he would be posting sample chapters of AMoL on his web-site as he does with his other novels.  I thought I'd share his response with the rest of you:

Thank you so much for the kind words and the enthusiasm!

It's still a little odd for me, sometimes, to look in the bookstore and

see my novels sitting beside some of the great works by my favorite

authors.  Hearing from readers who have liked my novels gives me a

little boost of confidence and lets me know that maybe I really do

deserve to be on that shelf.  This is particularly true when I hear

from

Wheel of Time readers, who have read my books because of the news.

I do want to post sample chapters from AMoL, but it will have to wait

on

Tor's approval.  In the past, they've actually sold the prologue of Mr.

Jordan's works as an electronic download before the actual book comes

out.  Maybe they'll do this.  I kind of wish they'd just let me post it

for free, but as the prologue was one of the chunks that Mr. Jordan

worked on the most, I think it would be a good piece to release for

readers before the book comes out.

Keep an eye on my website or on the WoT fansites; they'll stay updated.

I'd guess that Tor will do this in the summer next year.

Best,

Brandon

Wow, I honestly don't know whether I want the prologue or not ??? On one hand I really want to get an idea of what's going on in Randland, but on the other hand I still remember reading the prologue to KoD in New Spring and then having to wait for another year to read the rest of the book  :-\

Despite Branbdons good intentions, I seriously doubt TOR would allow him to post as much as the title of a single chapter on his website.

Regarding the prologue, had it been a few months ago I would have said that there is no way TOR would give away anything for free. Well, I was dead wrong on that one, which my growing collection of free ebooks proves. So if we are exceptionally lucky...

Though, I bought the two last prologues as ebooks, and it did not exactly make my private economy collapse. If it means reading it sooner, I would be more than willing to spend a couple of Euros.

The prologue would be awesome to read before, for me it really sets the mood, and makes the wait a little less painful! I know I was really exited about the prologue for CoT and KoD. And it would be awesome to see how it looks!

With it happening with the other books, I don't see TOR changing just for this one. Especially with the following the series has. Wether you have to pay for it, or get it free, the more people that see it are much more wanting to buy the whole thing. Win-win situation for TOR!! I personally think it should be for Harriet to decide myself.

I have wanted to bring up this thought and this thread seems like the best place.

Can the staff of Dragonmount and all the other WOT web sites come up with a time frame (days, weeks, etc.) that nothing gets posted concerning the new book, to give people an opportunity to read without spoilers. I could see a "The Book is so cool" thread, but nothing more than that. Personally, I (hopefully) will take a couple of days off to read it all the way through, but I know most people won't be able to do that.

Can the staff of Dragonmount and all the other WOT web sites come up with a time frame (days, weeks, etc.) that nothing gets posted concerning the new book, to give people an opportunity to read without spoilers. I could see a "The Book is so cool" thread, but nothing more than that. Personally, I (hopefully) will take a couple of days off to read it all the way through, but I know most people won't be able to do that.

Highly unlikely to get a total ban on postings on new book. A clear Spoilers for AMOL in the name of any thread should be sufficent. If somebody is so dumb as to enter a thread with such a warning prior to reading the book it would be his own fault if spoilers are revealed. How would you decide how long to ban anythreads anyway?  I can read fiction at about a rate of 70-75 pges an hour and can generally go 8 hours at a sitting. So presuming a book of 1200-1400 pages your talking minimum 14-15 hours of reading  with three or four hours thown in for a break, approximately 20 hours from first opening the book to finishing it at best. With AMOL unless I am in a coma or have a death in my immediate family that is how I will read it. Figure if it comes out on a Tuesday Morning I will be finished by Wendesday morning and on the Boards sometime Wendesday afternoon or early evening (I will have to get some sleep). I expect that I will not be the first to have

finished the Book by the time I get to the Boards and will throw my to two cents in on the discussions surrounding TG, who killed Asmoden and the prophecy of Matt losing half the light of the world to save the world. Soon after I expect a debate will arise concerning whether Brabdon should write any of the outrigger novels that RJ had planned. AH,  ANTICIPATION,  18 months (my estimation of publish date is Mid. November 2009) to go and counting!

As much as i would love to read AMOL sample chapters, i really wouldn't do it. (with much, much restraint) I understand that Brandon Sanderson does this with all his books but to do this with such a highly anticipated, final novel of the WoT, would be a disaster. RJ never released sample chapters so why start now? So we can read it pre-edited and ruin all the story and plots we've been waiting years to read. As hardcore fans we would find so many mistakes and nuisances about characters, setting, etc. that havent been polished yet.  And then come on the boards and ruin it for those who would rather wait.  pft. I mean come on guys, its 18 months! 18 MONTHS! Some people have been waiting 20+ years and we cant wait 18 months! Just kick back, debate over who killed Asmodean for awhile and well have it before we know it. The final volume of the Wheel of Time in our hands edited, polished and as close to what RJ would of wanted. Anything else would be disrespectful in my eyes. 

With KOD (and COT if I remember correctly) we set up a board specificly for discussing the new book, and put a total ban on discussing it on other borads for some time (more than one month, less than three)

I think that is what we will do with AMOL as well, since it worked just fine.

I am just hoping someone may not get the ending ruined for them. I will try to read as fast as possible myself, but I know there are people who won't be able to. I understand using caution and if they see a thread that might have something. But if the thread is for an unrelated topic... that's why I voiced this. Kudos to Majsju and the rest of the staff to help us try not to mess up someone unintentually (sorry for spelling).

Yea i remember when CoT and KoD came out people were pretty respectful when it came to spoiler warnings and not ruining anything for several months. I hope the forums are like that again and people continue to put spoiler warnings on their topics. much appreciated Dragonmount.

With KOD (and COT if I remember correctly) we set up a board specificly for discussing the new book, and put a total ban on discussing it on other borads for some time (more than one month, less than three)

I think that is what we will do with AMOL as well, since it worked just fine.

Hmmm, but the people on the AMOL board will have to be careful to not have topic subjects like 'How do you feel about Mat dying?' as those show up on the index  ::)

I want to savour the last book as much as possible. I always finish all the books that I anticipate extremely quickly and feel unsatisfied later. I'm determined to take my time with AMOL. But once I get the book, likely all this will vanish from my head. :)

I will be avoiding this forum will I complete it though. I don't want to risk any spoilers.

The New Book board when KoD came out also had threads divided into chapters. Like one thread for chapters 1-5, one thread for chapter 6-10 and so on, and also a Whole book thread. As far as I can remember, we didnt get those "what to you think about..." threads because they had threads where they could discuss it already.

It worked pretty well last time, and unless WoT have gotten a whole lot of immatire, troll readers, we wont see that on the next book either. *crosses fingers*

The only way it does NOT work is if there's only one store within 100 km which sells the books in English, and refuses to sell them in hardcover.

By the time the paperback came out, I knew the main storyline, even though I stayed as far away from those KoD-threats (and even DM in general) during the year between (minus a couple of months).

All I know is that from the moment that AMOL hits the shelves to the time that I turn the last page I will be nowhere near Dragonmout or any other WOT site.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE

But seriously i probably wont touch my computer for any other reason than to change music from the moment i get the book until i finished it. No time for forums when theres reading to be done! And i spend most of my spare time at the computer, 5+ hours/day atleast, 7 days a week.

Archived