DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will bond Galad? (if he does get bonded that is)

mabbott74

I did some searching and found no discussion about this, but if I missed it, sorry.

I had been wondering about this and kept it in the back of my mind in one of my re-reads.  I really couldn't come up with one, but after reading some of the thread about who was going to die and live in the final book, it seems that Lan dieing is pretty popular.  He is kind of old(er) and would die far before Nynaeve, so it makes sense.  So, do you think it possible for Lan to die in the final battle and Galad's comforting of Nynaeve lead to her bonding him?

This is, of course, if Lan dies.  If not, I had thought of Nicola - if she grows up.  She seems to have been coming along in KoD after escaping to the White Tower.

He was in love with Nynaeve at the beginning. Then he liked Egwene, but he's been out of the picture so long I doubt he's that into her now. Doing what's right I think would involve marrying Berelian. Plus, she's totally hot. So why not?  ;)

``Doing what's right I think would involve marrying Berelian.''

Not obvious to me why this should be so: explanation please. On the other hand, it does seem obvious to me that Galad will do what is right viz-a-viz Gawyn and Egwene, that is, to respect his brother's love for her. A query: what was it about Egwene that attracted both brothers? And how will both react to the changes in her as a consequence of her becoming Amyrlin of the Hall in Exile? She has had to grow up rather quickly in a short span of time and is no longer the still somewhat naive girl from the Two Rivers that they first met as a novice in the White Tower. (I say ``somewhat naive''---she has after all been thru' a lot already on the journey from Emonds Field to the Eye of the World. BTW, I think that it is not knowing about that, and about her time as a damane, and as an apprentice of the Wise Ones---or not really appreciating those  things---that leads Romanda and Lelaine to underestimate her. Oh, and never mind being nearly killed by Lanfear on the docks at Cairhien.)

He was in love with Nynaeve at the beginning. Then he liked Egwene, but he's been out of the picture so long I doubt he's that into her now. Doing what's right I think would involve marrying Berelian. Plus, she's totally hot. So why not?  ;)

He was never in love with Nynaeve. Immediately upon meeting them is infatuated with Egwene, asking her to take a walk with him.

Pfft, we all know who will bond Galad, its Bela!

Seriously, can anyone see the Lord Commander of the Whitecloaks allowing himself to be bonded?

As to Berelain, right or not, if he falls in love with her, with no one else to contest is suit, why shouldnt he marry her? And can you imagine the look on every tairen's face when the First of Mayene brings home her new husband, and a few thousand whitecloaks.

Pfft, we all know who will bond Galad, its Bela!

Seriously, can anyone see the Lord Commander of the Whitecloaks allowing himself to be bonded?

You mentioned that 'Pfft' yourself - yes, that's right, and it wouldn't matter if he allows it or not really (because he will)

"That's a nice boy!" :)

Can anyone imagine the Lord Captian Commander of the Whitecloaks even thinking about making an alliance with the Aes Sedai?

On second thought, being bonded is a far cry from a mere alliance...

He won't have much choice.  It's either learn to live with the fact that all Aes Sedai aren't evil or kill his step-mother, pregnant sister, sister-in-law, his sister's first-sister, possible his nieces, his aunt.....that's a blood bath

Can anyone imagine the Lord Captian Commander of the Whitecloaks even thinking about making an alliance with the Aes Sedai?

On second thought, being bonded is a far cry from a mere alliance...

But Galad did that already - he thought about and discussed the possible alliance with AS (for Tarmon Gaidon). So bonding Cads is a natural next step after that :)

He was never in love with Nynaeve. Immediately upon meeting them is infatuated with Egwene, asking her to take a walk with him.

Maybe love is too strong a word, but he is interested in Nynaeve originally in TGH.

In the tenth book there was a thought that Galad fancied Nynaeve. I thought by Elayne.

Me: yeah

Yeah, and eh it’s hard to keep up exactly with who thought what and when.

Galad did have a certain interest in Nynaeve early on. As sometimes happens that interest has shifted. He is obviously not attracted to Nynaeve anymore.

Me: when did he had the attraction?

RJ: In the beginning when he goes to Nynaeve room. At that time he was interested in her. And Elayne still thinks he is..

Me: But at that time he was interested in Egwene, I thought.

RJ: no not yet. Not at that time.

• 3 weeks later...
"He won't have much choice.  It's either learn to live with the fact that all Aes Sedai aren't evil or kill his step-mother, pregnant sister, sister-in-law, his sister's first-sister, possible his nieces, his aunt.....that's a blood bath"

I think you are forgetting that he would also have to kill his half-brother and the dragon reborn Rand.

Also, don't you think it kind of odd that Rand is marrying Elayne who is related to him?

As was established in LoC, Tigraine and Morgase were so distantly related that if they weren't royalty, they wouldn't even be considered related.

So no, it isn't particularly weird that Tigraine's son and Morgase's daughter have hooked up.

If you're referring to the fact that Rand and Elayne both have the same half-brother (Elayne's attempts to disown Galad notwithstanding), well, Elayne has the same father as Galad, and Rand has the same mother, so it's really a non-issue.

Also, it seems like quite a few of you have misinterpreted my previous post. My point was that until recently, it was unthinkable for any Whitecloak to consider an alliance with the Aes Sedai, let alone the Lord Captain Commander. But Galad, the new LCC, has done just that.

But making an alliance with Aes Sedai is one thing; consenting to be bonded Warder is another. (Granted, consenting to bondage has worked pretty well to sweeten relations between Egwene's Aes Sedai and Rand's Asha'man, and between Elaida's Aes Sedai and Taim's Asha'man...)

I forget, how did Galad become a whitecloak again?  It was because he was angry with what happened to his sister and Egwene right?

And yeah, Galad would never go for hurting his entire family, which is why i find it amazing that he actually is a whitecloak.  And once he finds out about Rand being his brother and sister's warder/soon-to-be-husband he will fall in with Rand's cause.

In TSR, Galad was drinking with Whitecloaks and reading a book by the guy who founded the Whitecloaks. He also admired what the Whitecloaks originally stood for, although he did somewhat criticize their modern excesses.

In TFOH, when next we see him, he has already joined the Whitecloaks. I think it was because of Elaida's bid to become Amyrlin; he said that the corruption in the White Tower had bubbled to the surface, or something along those lines.

That was part of his reason for leaving the White Tower. The other part was, indeed, that he and Gawyn couldn't stand the White Tower's constant lies to them about Elayne, Egwene, and Nynaeve.

So I think it's safe to say he doesn't have anything against those who use the One Power, except that the White Tower has put his loved ones in terrible danger and lied to him about it.

And you know what he did when he found out what the LCC of the Whitecloaks had done to his surrogate mother...

Ok making sure.

And with that said, there is definitely no way Galad would hurt his family because they can channel.  If he admired what the whitecloaks originally stood for then hes probably going to try to change them back into what they once were, which would probably help the rest of the world, Rand included, at the same time.  And that added to his already impregnable sense of right and wrong would never allow him to turn on people he loves or feels loyal to.

I think the Whitecloaks represent RJ's interpretation of religious fanatacism, so Galad represents someone who understands the "spirit" of the Whitecloaks and agrees with it, and will be instrumental in bringing the Whitecloaks back to the original spirit of why they were created...perhaps instead of so much judgment and "you're all Darfriends" it will be more "remember the Light and why we follow it" type thing.  Galad's views concerning Aes Sedai are very different I think than a standard Whitecloak's.

I'm of the mind that he will marry Berelain.

Why does everyone think Galad and Berelain will get together?  I know Min had the view of a man in white making Berelain fall head over hills, but why does everyone assume it will be Galad?  My first assumption on reading that was it would be a gaishan.

Archived