DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heaven forbid this happening, BUT what if...

42Bonzo88

Looking at all of the Main characters (good or bad), who do you think would turn on thier fellows and WHY?  In other words, who close to Rand would Join the DO and what would be the motive? On the other hand who close to the DO would do the same?

I could see Moggy going over to get her freedom from Moridin. Except that Nyneveh would have to join the dark side first. lol

There's the infamous theory that Perrin will because Faile will be kidnapped yet again. And there have been many theories in the past about Lan and Thom. But now, when we get down the last book, I don't see any of the major characters switching sides. Possibly some secondary characters will be revealed as darkfriends, but not the major characters.

And I wouldn't see any of the Forsaken switching to the good. They all want power too much. Even someone like Moggy. Even if Semi started to really answer all their questions truthfully, she's still Semiherage. The second she's free she'll crush them.

Though I think certain members of the Dark could end up seriously helping the other side through their greed. Certain Forsaken aren't so smart, Slayer seems to have an agenda still about Padan Fain, Padan Fain could care less what anyone thinks, even Shidar Haran has his own plans concerning the Dark One's return. But whatever "help" they might inadvertainly give the Light, I wouldn't say they're switching sides.

Guest Dreadlord

Why heaven forbid? I would love to see one of the main characters go over to the Dark, but like someone else said, I dont think it will happen unfortunately. But I really cant see it being Thom, and even questioning whether Lan will go over is worse than asking if Rand will.

If you believe the body swap theory, then Moridin will give the ultimate "aid" to the Light; giving their Champion a full working body - but I dont think he'd actually swap sides. He'd just be the same evil Forsaken, in a battered and broken body.

If any were going to swap I would say Lanfear / Cyndane but as Cyndane she doesnt have as much 'freedom' as she did as Lanfear. And if she did, it would purely be through her greed - if she truly believed that Rand was going to win, I think she would consider swapping to a) save her own skin and b) get as much power as she could.

From the light, if any were going to turn I'd say Perrin again, because Faile means more to him than the salvation of the earth. Alternatively I could see Mat making the ultimate sacrifice if it meant Rand would succeed. Much as he loves his glamour and his life, I think he knows the world is much larger than he is.

Guest Dreadlord

I doubt Mat would turn, but Perrin does seem the most likely. Id love to see a Dark equivalent of Ta'veren, but its been said that the Pattern wont allow a Dark Ta'veren so it would be good to see the equivalent, or the opposite. Perrin would make a good choice. I dont think we will see anyone go over though, shame

I think we will, actually. From the Wheel's POV, the Shadow has been losing its (minor) ta'veren (the Chosen) all across the board for a while now, and considering the number of Black Ajah that's been caught by the Five i'd have to say the Light is definitely getting the advantage there.

Keeping in mind that the Pattern provides a counterbalance when things threaten to get tossed out of balance, regardless of whether it benefits Light or Shadow, i could very well see the Pattern 'correcting' things by having a major player walk over to the Shadow.

Though Perrin still has the ability to detect Shadowspawn on sight (though 'smell' would be a better description) i agree he'd be the most likely to turn. Perrin must have killed off half the wolves on the continent during his campaign against the Shaido, and if we factor in that the DO doesn't really have someone controlling the Darkhounds... Well, Perrin's the most likely option.

Plus, the Pattern got him married to Faile (come on, you could see that jab coming a mile off, couldn't you :D)

Thank you for everyone who has responded so far. In response to the question of Heaven forbid, I was being sort of sarcastic, although I would be disapointed if certain ones went away. Would be good for a cliffhanger, I just was wondering who everyone thought who it might be and why.

i think Weiramon will be found to be a darkfriend. Someone that stupid cannot stay as powerful as he is in a place like Tear. As for the major characters, i dont think there will be any major surprises as to thier alliegances.

I've thought about that myself, however, if Weiramon does turn out to be a darkfriend I think he will also turn out to be much smarter than he's been letting on.  Its the perfect cover because when he does do damage to the Light's cause no one suspects that it is because he's hatching an evil plot, they just chalk it up to his stupidity.

However, I really hope that Weiramon does not turn out to be a darkfriend.  This world is full of arrogant stupid people who really think that they are making great contributions when in fact they are doing more harm than good.  I think Werimon stands as a great illustration of how such people can do alot of damage.

How about Moiraine?  It would make for an interesting twist if it turned out that she was a darkfriend and her true interest in The Dragon Reborn was to gain power for herself by using the DR to challenge the DO himself and ultimatly take his place as head of The Shadow.  I don't really see it happening but it would be an interesting twist.

I also think it would be kind of cool in Cyndane turned to The Light.  In an ironic twist she could play an instrumental role in sealing The Bore.

It would also be cool if one of the Wondergirls ended up going over to the Black Ajah.  Of couse I don't see how it could work with Egwene's current storyline, and Nyn still sees Rand as the little boy she used to babysit, is deticated to protecting him and by extention has been more consistantly loyal to Rand than any other character.  This leaves Elayne as the most likely candidate.  I know Elayne loves Avi and Min as though they were her sisters but I still think that if someone offered her the oppertunity to have Rand all to herself it would be quite apealing, and may just serve as motivation for her turning.  For a long time I've suspected that Dyline is actually a darkfriend (b/c she seems too good to be true) so perhaps turning Elayne is her purpose; she has gotten awfully close to Elayne here of late and may just have gained the influnce to poisen her against others.

I am Sorry to say that the only candidate for switching sides is Mat...

His prophesy was "he will save the light by sacrificing half the light"

Or something close to it...

He is the most likely, although i cannot see this as he is needed as a General or should i say his memories are....

Perrin can talk to wolves and the wolves hate the DO and Fades and Trollocs so surely the wolves would hold this in his mind, enough to keep him straight.... Hopper in his dreams too....

Rand is the Dragon Reborn he cannot switch and Min, Avi, and Elayne although sharing him Love him to much to condemn themselves and Rand to turn as their turning could be the tipping of the scale for the DO to win......

Nyn will not turn because of here love for Lan although he is now raising an army with here help to march into The Blight, ready for the last battle... Even his death against the shadow would not sway her as her wanting to protect the Emonds Field Boys is to strong Book 1 Chapter 21 Page 326 Line 17 "Light, a wisdom is supposed to look after all of her people"

Nyn also say's same page last line "I ca use it, woman! You told me yourself. I can use it against you! I think she would use it (even to her own death) to protect the few from TTR's...

I cannot see anyone changing to the shadow but Who knows what Robert Jordan (James Oliver Rigney Jr) left in his notes, I know one thing though i cant wait to find out....

May the hand of the creator shelter us until the Mothers Last Embrace....

Respect is something earned, not something just given..... Siddek

the only candidate for switching sides is Mat...

His prophesy was "he will save the light by sacrificing half the light"

Or something close to it...

Siddek, the prophecy you are thinking of was told to Mat while he was in the ter'angreal in Tear.  The Finns were trying to run him out and he was demanding to know why he had to go to Rhuidean.  The Finns told Mat that if he did not go to Rhuidean he would "have sidestepped the thread of fate, left for your fate to drift on the winds of time, and you will be killed by those who do not want that fate fulfilled."  Needless to say this was not enough for Mat and demanded to know what fate.  And since his tav'eren-ness combined with Rand's was tearing up the world, the Finns shouted "To marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons!  To die and live again, and live once more a part of what was!  To give up half the light of the world to save the world!"

The first two we've seen, but the third seems consistent with Mat sacrificing an eye.  Egwene saw Mat pluck out one of his eye's and place it on a scale in one of her dreams.  And I think that Min had a viewing as well.  Maybe Perrin saw something about it in the Wolfdream too, but I don't remember for sure.

I'm sure there is another thread speculating on why Mat will sacrifice an eye, so I won't get into that.

i think Weiramon will be found to be a darkfriend. Someone that stupid cannot stay as powerful as he is in a place like Tear. As for the major characters, i dont think there will be any major surprises as to thier alliegances.

I've thought about that myself, however, if Weiramon does turn out to be a darkfriend I think he will also turn out to be much smarter than he's been letting on.  Its the perfect cover because when he does do damage to the Light's cause no one suspects that it is because he's hatching an evil plot, they just chalk it up to his stupidity.

However, I really hope that Weiramon does not turn out to be a darkfriend.  This world is full of arrogant stupid people who really think that they are making great contributions when in fact they are doing more harm than good.  I think Werimon stands as a great illustration of how such people can do alot of damage.

At the end of book 9 when Rand begins cleansing Saidin on the hilltop outside Shayol Ghul, RJ takes us to each of the Forsaken in turn and tells us what they're doing when they feel the beacon, and then they each travel to Rand and try to kill the bands of Asha'Man/Aes Sedai (and Alivia).

Cyndane is taking an oath of fealty from a man with a small, pointed beard. I found it odd that RJ put any detail to the man, and have quite often wondered if it was Weiramon.

Cyndane is taking an oath of fealty from a man with a small, pointed beard. I found it odd that RJ put any detail to the man, and have quite often wondered if it was Weiramon.

Cyndane killed that man, and we know Weiramon is alive in KoD.

But yeah i reckon Weiramon is probably a darkfriend. There is only so far you can stretch stupidity in an ally before it becomes enemy action.

• 1 month later...

But yeah i reckon Weiramon is probably a darkfriend. There is only so far you can stretch stupidity in an ally before it becomes enemy action.

Beyond Weiramon's excessive arrogance/stupidity, there is is a scene I noticed the last time I read tPoD that seems likely to be indicative of Weiramon's true allegiences.  The POV in the scene is from the perspective of Bertome who overhears Weiramon say to Gedwyn, "I don't care who you are. I won't take more risk without a command direct from the lips of—" Abruptly the pair (Weiramon and Gedwyn) become aware of Bertome, and "Weiramon's mouth snaps shut.  He glared as if he wanted to kill Bertome.  The Asha'man's ever-present smile melted away.  The wind gusted, could and sharp as the clouds drifted accross the sun, but no colder than Gedwyn's stare.  With a small shock Bertome realized the man also wanted to strike him dead on the spot."  (TPoD,Ch24, A Time for Iron, p.473, Hardback Edition)

To avoid rewriting the next paragraph, I'll summarize.  Gedwyn appears to remain intent on murder, but Weiramon puts back on his oily demeanor and attempts to distract Bertome with a discussion of Colavere's death.

My point here is relatively simple.  Weiramon never balks at taking insane risks (in terms of battles and military strategies) so it is very likely that he and Gedwyn are not talking about the battle against the Seanchan.  Bertome had no reason to think that Weiramon was going to insist on an order from anyone other than Rand.  So their angry responses to being overhead are evidence of guilty concienses, of having something to hide.  Given that we learn subsequently Gedwyn is a darkfriend, it seems logical that Gedwyn was trying to order Weiramon around, but clearly as a darkfriend Gedwyn did not outrank Weiramon (if Weiramon is a darkfriend).  I know its circular, but it does track logically.

In regards to the original question, in Norse mythology Loki caused the death of Baldr. I've been waiting for Mat to cause Perrin's death for years since I made the Tyr/Baldr/Loki connection. I doubt Mat would be as malicious as Loki, but nevertheless... =p

In regards to the original question, in Norse mythology Loki caused the death of Baldr. I've been waiting for Mat to cause Perrin's death for years since I made the Tyr/Baldr/Loki connection. I doubt Mat would be as malicious as Loki, but nevertheless... =p
I too doubt that Mat would be asmalicious as Loki....because Mat is Odin (the hat, the wisdom of the dead (memories), the time spent hanging from a tree, the one eye (interpretation of prophecy, not yet fulfilled), and his ashanderai bearing two ravens and the inscription having the lines "thought is the arrow of time, memory never fades" (Odin's ravens were Thought and Memory).)

Archived