1. 1. I must know!

• No, but I am Canadian
    • Yes, but your accent is sexy
    • No, but your accent is sexy
    • Yes, but your accent is VERY sexy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am pretty sure Asmodean is one of the few names that RJ didn't come up with. Some old mythos uses him as their devil-figure or something.

have you read RedWall?

Asmodaous...

also, Ismael is a name used in other biblical stories...he is evil always (i think there are one or 2 ppl named him...i know 1 for sure)

Guest cwestervelt
Yeah' date=' I was less sure about Ishmael. I think he is in the Bible, and the Koran. A little rusty though so don't take my word for it. Still both are cool names.[/quote']

Ishamael was the half brother of Isaac. It is from Isaac that you get Judaism and Christianity. According to wikipedia.com, Ishmael is concidered to be an ancester of Muhammed and thus the Islamic faith. If you google "isaac ishmael jew muslim" you will find many claims that the animosity between Jews and Muslims goes all the way back to Isaac/Ishmael. If true, that would make it about the oldest grudge in the world.

• Community Administrator
On the topic of names' date=' I always liked Ba'alzamon.[/quote']

That is one of many names in wot, rj didnt pull out of his arse. Like Ishmale, and Bela. Ba'alzamon is an alteration of a spelling for bazalbub*sp* which means devil.

Shia'tan is arabic for satan.

Guest cwestervelt
On the topic of names' date=' I always liked Ba'alzamon.[/quote']

That is one of many names in wot, rj didnt pull out of his arse. Like Ishmale, and Bela. Ba'alzamon is an alteration of a spelling for bazalbub*sp* which means devil.

Shia'tan is arabic for satan.

Yep. I still like it though.

Guest cwestervelt
I am pretty sure Asmodean is one of the few names that RJ didn't come up with. Some old mythos uses him as their devil-figure or something.

Asmodeus. He's a demon.

Guest Thom Merrilin

Pretty much all names with one vowel after the other are cool. Especially ones with i's or a's in them.

-Logain

-Moiraine

-Nynaeve

-Ba'alzamon

-Ishamael

-Asmodean

Lews Therin is cool too, but too me its more of an exception to the vowel rule. Oh, I like the Telamon bit of it more though

I've always liked the names that are pretty close to "real world" names, if I can be so bold as to call them that. I actually used to work with a guy called Matthew Caulson, which is pretty damn close to Matrim Cauthon, isn't it? Isn't it? And meeting a Tom Merrilin or Elaine Trakand (I have deliberately misspelled the names so do not call me down for it, please!) is...possible. But I doubt I'll ever come across a Balthamel, or Semirhage, or Aviendha on this plane of existence...well, unless some WoT devotees get creative with naming their children.

Wouldn't mind meeting an Allan Mandragoran in the real world either...:)

actually a *LARGE* number of the names RJ uses have cognates in various ancient myths or cultures. MUCH of the name patterning in and around the Two Rivers is similar to naming patterns in Welsh and Irish history and mythology... the Tuatha'an is a direct borrowing from the name giving to people from the world of magic in Irish mythology...

Keep in mind guys, RJs whole concept with these books was to provide the 'what really happened' story of our modern day myths so he is purposefully borrowing a lot of things.

I've always liked the names that are pretty close to "real world" names' date=' if I can be so bold as to call them that. I actually used to work with a guy called Matthew Caulson, which is pretty damn close to Matrim Cauthon, isn't it? Isn't it? And meeting a Tom Merrilin or Elaine Trakand (I have deliberately misspelled the names so do not call me down for it, please!) is...possible. But I doubt I'll ever come across a Balthamel, or Semirhage, or Aviendha on this plane of existence...well, unless some WoT devotees get creative with naming their children.

Wouldn't mind meeting an Allan Mandragoran in the real world either...:)[/quote']

Or how about a Randall Thor ? :)

I like Aiel names.

Adelin

Rhuarc

Someryn

Couladin

Amys

Nandera

I also like Someshta

Elyas Machera

Jain Charin Farstrider

Artur Hawkwing