DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fantasy Suggestions?

Kraizx

Hey Guys,

I know this topic must come up a lot but I am looking for fantasy suggestions.  I really would prefer books similar to the wheel of time.

I have read and liked the following:

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (Obviously ;) )

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

I tried to start The Prince of Nothing by Scott Bakker but couldn't stand it.  I got through the first book and half way through the second before I finally gave up.

I'm currently reading The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson and don't like it very much.  (However I am only about 90 pages into the first book.)

Can anyone recommend a series that is like Wheel of Time or Song of Ice and Fire?  I found both of them extremely easy to get into (within the first 100 pages) and loved them both.

Thanks

You might try any of Robin Hobbs trilogy's, or anything at all by Guy Gavriel Kay, Brandon Sanderson is quite good, Patrick Rothfuss has his first book (the name of the wind) out there now, or David B. Coe is here on DM doing a Q&A session with us right now, you might try his works.

Those are just a few suggestions, of course, you could always try and find something along the lines of what Oz suggested, but there's no telling what you'll get. I hope you don't end up with Oz himself, cause he'd be a bit harder to read than a book... or perhaps easier...

People are probably going to have apoplexy at this but hey. Terry Goodkinds the Sword of Truth series isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The Belgariad and The Mallorean series' are good as well. By David and Leigh Eddings. Also Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress by the same author. The Redemption of Althalus is good also by David Eddings. Ummm the Dragonlance novels...Time of the Twins, Test of the Twins, War of the twins are all good. By Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Also the Chronicles....Dragons of Autumn Twighlight, Dragons of Spring Dawning, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Summer Flame, Brothers in Arms, all by the same author. Also the Deathgate series is good too, also by the same author. Some of those should get you started. :)

Based on your reading list, I'd pitch you Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series. I'm a big fan of this series, which I think of as a lighter version of A Song of Ice and Fire, only with extra dimension-hopping. It's a very detailed series - I note from your three favourites that you're not kidding about liking a big, complicated series - and rewards a really thorough read. Here's a review of the first two books by our very own Werthead (and the timer's running until he hits this thread himself). Hope you like it. ;)

Based on your reading list, I'd pitch you Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series. I'm a big fan of this series, which I think of as a lighter version of A Song of Ice and Fire, only with extra dimension-hopping. It's a very detailed series - I note from your three favourites that you're not kidding about liking a big, complicated series - and rewards a really thorough read. Here's a review of the first two books by our very own Werthead (and the timer's running until he hits this thread himself). Hope you like it. ;)

Exactly what I was looking for I think. :)

Thanks for taking into account what I've liked / disliked before making a suggestion. ;)

(ears burning) I heed thy call ;)

Sorry to hear you didn't like Bakker, but he's a very divisive author so it's understandable.

Erikson is the only modern author who's really on a par with Jordan and Martin for the sheer scale of his story. The first book is quite difficult to get into. A lot of people find the story doesn't really kick in properly until the end of the first novel and the first third or so of the second book. I'd give it a bit more of a chance.

Several other authors come to mind:

Scott Lynch is the author of The Gentleman Bastard series. This is going to be seven books in length with two out already, The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies and the third, The Republic of Thieves, out this summer. This series consists of self-contained books about a group of conmen but with an escalating background threat that gradually rises in prominence. Lynch has a sense of humour and paints betrayal very similarly to GRRM.

Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Trilogy, which consists of The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings, is an epic fantasy consisting of numerous plotlines, terrific characters as well as enormous battles and fiendish betrayals.

They're a bit more old-fashioned now, but Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Trilogy (starting with The Dragonbone Chair) and Raymond E. Feist's Magician are still very readable works.

"Erikson is the only modern author who's really on a par with Jordan and Martin for the sheer scale of his story. The first book is quite difficult to get into. A lot of people find the story doesn't really kick in properly until the end of the first novel and the first third or so of the second book. I'd give it a bit more of a chance."

That is good to hear.  I can tell it has promise (I'm now about 150 pages in) but he seems to jump around a lot and he still hasn't explained what is really going on.  I just ended on the death (I assume) of one of the like 3 central characters he has introduced so far.  Which was strange however it reminded me a bit of GRRM haha.

I bought the first 3 so I'll probably at least read those before giving up.  I'm hoping I'll get into it though.

I read Gardens of the Moon last summer and at first, I had was admittedly unsure. But overall, I thought it was fantastic and well worth the effort to get through. I'm reading Deadhouse Gates at the moment and enjoying it greatly. Just keep going with it.

Also, if you like GRRM, you might enjoy reading some his old stuff (and there's a fair bit!). He's released a collection of his short stories in a Volume called Dreamsongs (split in 2 in the US I believe). Obviously, the stories are not as complex by their nature, but it's fascinating to see how GRRM has developed an author, and also, you can see some of his ideas for ASOIAF.

:)

Yes!  I am on a huge GRRM kick.  I just read Fevre Dream (loved it) Dreamsongs I and am halfway done with Dreamsongs II.  I also have every Wild Cards book my library had.  The Dreamsongs books are awesome, because you CAN see a lot of ASoIaF influence in earlier stuff.  Not to mention his work in other genres is awesome.

I'd like to second Werthead's recommendation of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams.  I thought it was excellent.  I'd also like to second The Riftwar Saga (starting with Magician) by Raymond Feist.

To continue in that vein, keep with Feist and read The Empire Trilogy, co-written with Janny Wurts.  I'm in the middle of it right now, and I think it's fantastic (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire).

• 2 weeks later...

I would surely try sanderson, not that i have read it yet, but he is going to finish WoT so it seems to me a good idea to get a feel for him.  a good friend of mine, the one who got me interested in WoT, holds Erikson even higher that RJ...not sure how thats possible, but he has excellent taste.

There is the EarthSea series by Ursala K Legwin.  i think there are only 4 books to it, and the second is hard to get into, but the first is amazing.  dont watch the sci-fi miniseries on it...horrible. 

Some may scoff at this, but the Vampire Hunter D books are excellent.  the first and third are the two movies, but contain way more info than the movies had.  I havent read past that yet, but I intend to.  D is just so badass.

If you enjoy characters, and can get past some obvious typos and occational bad grammar The magic series is alright.  Urza is the most badass of badasses.  The Brothers War by Jeff Grubb remains one of my favorite books of all time.  but i am a magic dork.  if you never played the game then it probably wont do it for you.

If you want convoluted plotlines, and have a taste for anime id say drop the 200 bucks for the Akira Manga.  much more understandable than the movie, but still to date the most convoluted plots ive ever encountered.

Guest Dashara

I don't know any books as detailed as Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time'.  And George R.R. Martin's got his own unique flair for fantasy, such drama lol!  I love both these authors.  Have you read some of the other classics like Tolkien & CS Lewis?  Since you like Harry Potter, maybe you will also like the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander, they are light and fun to read.  For something complex, I would recomend Terry Goodkind, it's true that it took me almost two years to get get through several chapters of Wizard's First Rule and often I was really frustrated with the writing style and character development, scared to death by some events (and for no good reasons!) and shocked senseless by the author's own explanations of his work .. but maybe you will really love them.  I think it's kind of a hit and miss thing with those books.  And I love and hate them at the same time and I'm not sure how that's possible.  I always recommend them just in case someone will love them.  They are very fast-paced and detailed.  And they are going to make Wizards First Rule into a TV series that starts in the fall.

Some other fantasy authors I love are Guy Gavriel Kay & Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I highly recommend the Fionovar Tapestry and Mists of Avalon.

Has anyone read any books by L.E. Modesitt Jr.?  I have one book in the "Saga of Recluce" series that someone gave me, but I haven't read it yet and I'm debating if I should buy the earlier books.  Are they good?

Doesn't anyone else like David Eddings? The Belgariad? The Mallorean? The Ellenium? Redemption of Althalus? Belgarath the Sorcerer? Polgara the Sorceres? Or any of the Dragonlance series? I just bought the two new ones today from the Lost Chronicles. Haven't read them yet but they look like they'll be pretty cool. I mean none of those books come close to the detail of WoT. But if you base all your reading choices on your experience with WoT....I think you'll find you have nothing to read very quickly.

Archived