DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles (Spoilers)

Samuraiflip05

I saw the pilot episode on Sunday, but missed the new episode on Monday.

WARNING SPOILERS

The plot surrounds Sarah and John approximately 2 years after the second movie ended.  They are being pursued by the FBI in connection with the death of Miles Dyson and the destruction of Cyberdyne.  There is a new Lock-Jaw type Terminator hunting them and a sexy high school student Terminator defending them.  Neither were identified as a particular model, but the defender has a personality in the beginning. 

I was intrigued enough by the pilot to continue for a few more episodes.  I was however disappointed with the final piece of the plot line.  From the time they were in the bank vault things got outta hand.  I sincerly hope they find some way to get them back. 

Good stuff.  I really enjoyed the series and suggest everyone to check it out that is a fan of the movies. 

Things I liked:

Explaining how Sarah Conner died.

The Terminator not recognizing the Summer model

Summer Glau as a terminator... perfect

Time traveling to 2007

Things I didn't like:

Yeah the Terminator collecting his head

There was a bunch of little things that made no sense in the pilots.  I mean the guy John went to see didn't seen to notice that 8 years had passed and he looked exactly the same.  Sarah's appearance can be explained but a 17 year old boy still looking 17?

I also though that the terminator body left in the bank vault might have been the cause of Skynet's resurrection, but after seeing a highly sophisticated robot body in their vault what do they do.  Send it to the dump.  Very nice.  At least the guy picking up garbage on the side of the street decided to keep the cool head he found.

Still as long as I didn't pay attention to those things (and the fact that the new Sara Conner is vastly inferior to Hamilton's) it was fun to watch.  Summer Glau is awesome!  I had just watched Firefly and Serenity for the first time last month and loved her in that.  It's great seeing her in action again.  Though she is sooo gonna get type casted if she keeps playing these similar roles.  Can't wait for next week's episode, especially with nothing else to watch this week.

BTW does anyone have suggestions for new shows to watch?  With the writers strike, all my shows either are done or only have a couple of episodes left.

I've enjoyed Dexter (Showtime), and am just now getting into Robin Hood (BBC - no strong opinion yet). I also recently finished The 4400 (SciFi?), which was very good in some ways, and not so good in others. Summer Glau is in the 4400, and while she is not a fighter the way she was in Firefly and Sarah Connor, she was schizophrenic in a way that was similar to her role in Firefly.

I've not been able to actually sit down and Watch what's aired so far of this show.  I've caught the pilot and the last episode in bits and pieces.  I liked what I saw as much as I could while knowing I had missed too much to actually put pieces together.  Plus it's been over 10 years since I've seen T2.

But a chick on my Live Journal runs a website and LJ community called The Sarah Connor Charm School and she offers an interesting perspective, so I'm going to provide the link.  Be fore you read it, I think it bears saying that she's a survivalist and a strong feminist, so her perspective comes from a different place than most people's.

http://sccs.envy.nu/thattvshow.htm

I also though that the terminator body left in the bank vault might have been the cause of Skynet's resurrection, but after seeing a highly sophisticated robot body in their vault what do they do.  Send it to the dump.  Very nice.  At least the guy picking up garbage on the side of the street decided to keep the cool head he found.

You must have missed the end of the episode as the body was never left in the vault.  It came back for its HEAD!!!! doom doom doom. 

Oh wait.. I think I understand why you are confused.

The Terminator is also in the future and will be the main villian I assume as the rest of the terminators in this time will not be looking for John.  No body was left in the vault in 1999.

But that brings up another point about the time travel.

If you are not allowed to bring anything with you... be it clothes or a gun... how does the time travel machine understand what is extra.  What I mean... how does a Terminator travel in time as it is made of metal.  If clothing disappears... why not their skin.  If guns disappear... why not their bodies.  Wait... I should probably just go with it right?

I try no to think too much about that either.  It would probably confuse.  Before these episodes I would have said anything not covered in a layer of organic material would not pass through the portal, but then that would discount the terminator head.

BTW wasn't there a scene where the terminator's body busted out of a junk pile?  I took that to mean that the body was junked for 8 years and came to life again when the head and body was once again in the same timeline.

It sounds like they just busted open the movie canon.  Kyle Reese says in the first movie that only organic beings can travel back in time.  Anything that travels back in time must have some kind of bio energy, if it doesn't it can't go back. 

The terminator(arnie) had his bio-synthetic skin outer layer and so they 'smuggled' his robo-innards under the biological skin.  Not so much with Cromartie.

• Community Administrator

It sounds like they just busted open the movie canon.  Kyle Reese says in the first movie that only organic beings can travel back in time.  Anything that travels back in time must have some kind of bio energy, if it doesn't it can't go back. 

The terminator(arnie) had his bio-synthetic skin outer layer and so they 'smuggled' his robo-innards under the biological skin.  Not so much with Cromartie.

Maybe its 'bio steel' ;)

Btw, does organic mean, Carbon Based lifeforms? If so.... :P

I don't think he specified carbon based lifeforms.  There was some kind of technobabble about bio-energetic fields and something that sounded to me to be an awful lot like the auras they capture with kirillian photography.  Aonther possibility is the bioelectric energy that the matrix used in addition to the thermal energy captured.

In either case I just read its supposed to be an alternate universe from the movies so i guess breaking canon was bound to happen.

Okay..lol..how many episodes have there been?  I saw the pilot, but missed what I thought was the premiere episode on Monday.  I am hoping I can catch up, cause it sounds like they are cramming alot into each episode.

*Edit*  Okay disregard this post...lol.  I just found my new best friend...Fox on demand.

After Monday nights episode, we are up to 3 now.

My impressions:

The Terminator really is going to some great lengths to look human again.  I saw in next week's episode he goes to a plastic surgeon.  For a robot he is kind of vain.  *g*  Seriously, I would think he would just go after Conner and kill the boy without worrying so much about looking presentable. 

Does anyone else feel like River Tam and her new Terminator part feel the same?  Not saying that is a bad thing. 

So the FBI agent looks to be heading down the road of being part of the team.  I think he is going to come around to Sarah's view of the future and help them along.

The show is the best new show of 2008.  I think it is the only new show of 2008 though.

Archived