DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT: The PC Game

Dorsbane

How do people feel about the game. I hear mainly that its near to impossibly hard. But is it fun? How is the Story? In general what are the thoughts and feelings of everyone on it as a whole?

Link me to game please, any search i try comes up empty!!  Unless you are talking about that one that is like 4 or 5 years old.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00001XDKL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1200081184&sr=1-1

Here, a link to sellers on Amazon.

I haven't played the game, but from what I understand, its a first person shooter in which you are an Aes Sedai who can't channel ... but conveniently runs across bunches of ter'angreal that let you produce channeling-like effects.  I'm personally not impressed.

Yup!! That is the one I ws thinking of,  and not a chance in hell I would play a fps. I like my RP games more laid back. 

WOT should be made into a MMORPG, that is the only way to do this great world justice.  Besides, I could be a grey man and try and get Robert.  *wink*

I've played it a couple times, coincidentally, just finishing it today.  I love the game. I started playing it before I ever read the books, got stuck in Shadar Logoth, and started reading to try to figure out how to kill Mashadar..needless to say, you can't.

The story is great. It's got everything - Tinkers, Trollocs, Halfmen, Mordeth, Black Ajah, Machin Shin, Forsaken, the Ways, Portal stones, Whitecloaks, ter'angreal..I think my favorite part is when you run around inside the White Tower. The Warder cloaks suck though. They're like Harry Potter invisibility cloaks.

It's hard. Very hard. I hate it when games are too hard to beat without cheats. The 'puzzles' are solveable, but the fighting is very difficult after the first few levels. The Myrrdral and Black Ajah are almost impossible for me to kill when they come in numbers. They don't run at you - they seem to FLY at you. Very fast. Add in the Black Ajah hurling fireballs at you, and you can't see through the flames engulfing your body.

You play an Aes Sedai, and you select the weaves that she uses via the 1-9 keys. Hitting the 1 key will give you one of 5 different attack weaves, and you have to keep hitting it to switch from fireball to balefire to dart, so unless you have all the weaves under every number memorized, you have to take your eyes away from the bad guy attacking you to pick your weapon. And your weave of choice varies with each bad guy - so you have to keep switching.

You can find it here:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Wheel-of-Time_W0QQprZ6484494QQtgZinfo

I bought it and played it.

Thought it sucked badly tbh. my advice would be avoid.

It doesent really fit with the books either. I mean come on, you play the amyrlin seat(or was it the keeper? either is horrible anyway), and she can´t channel.....

I was under the impression, the game took place around 200 years after the Trolic wars. Which taken into context would give alot of leeway as far as characters. The keeper/Amyrlin you play can channel but so weakly that it dosen't matter but with the terangeral (I love the balefire one) she makes up for it. And you do have to consider the age of the game, it's running useing the very first Unreal engine.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]

I really enjoyed the game. I would have given it 4 out of 5 stars when it first came out. Obviously as technology has improved and the gaming world have evolved, better games are available now, but it was a really good game for a while.  I still pull it out from time to time, too.

And the barely-channeling Keeper isn't as nonsensical as it at first appears...

(SPOILER ALERT - Highlight to read.)

The story behind the main character, Keeper Elayna, is that she was born so amazingly powerful that when the woman who we come to know as the Amyrlin found her, she was terrified that the Black Ajah would see her potential immediately and either snatch her up or kill her. So, as part of Elayna's "testing", she had her channel through a special horn-shaped ter'angreal that used unknown weaves to shield Elayna to the point of only being able to channel a trickle of the Power.

No one but the Amyrlin knew, so everyone was very confused and many were jealous when the Amyrlin chose the barely-channeling Elayna as her Keeper when she was raised. The Amyrlin always planned to tell Elayna everything and teach her how to reverse the shielding when the time was right. Unfortunately, the events of the story have a disastrous effect on those plans.

At the end of the game's storyline, Elayna is standing just outside the sealed-up hole in the Dark One's prison with The Hound, a corrupted darkfriend, and must make a very difficult choice... retrieve the horn ter'angreal from The Hound, potentially allowing him to free the Dark One but also potentially making the One Power fully available to her, or let him fall to his death, making the world safe for the foreseeable future, but forever leaving herself shielded from all but that trickle of the Power.

(/SPOILER)

Could you clarify what you mean by an RTS? Do you mean a Real Time Strategy? Like Myst?!? I thought that game sucked, it had no point. Or like a Really Totolitarian Society? Like the USSR or Nazi Germany? Or what else could RTS stand for? Radish & Tomatoe Soup?

Gotcha,

Age of Empires was always one of my favorites- never knew that they were refered to as RTS

I don't know if WoT would work too terribly well in that genre however. I have never liked the Lord of the Rings games that they have made like that. I know that they are pretty popular but I have always thought that the controls were to difficult and gameplay just kinda awkward. Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes with this but I just don't know if WoT would convert in a way that would make everyone happy

WOT is my favorite series of books by far but i dont think that it would make for a very good MMORPG. Besides the main characters there is really not anyone all that special. Aes Sedai and Ashaman are pretty tough but compared to population there are very few of them.

I think if they did make an MMORPG it would have to be quite a bit different then the books and that would just tick me off.

Now a 12 part miniseries on HBO, that i am all for.

HBO, KoTOR, MMORPG

????! Can people please state what they mean. Acronyms can be ridiculously confusing!

HBO- Home Box Office (Premium Pay TV Channel)

KoToR- Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars Video game)

MMORPG- Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (Everquest, World of Warcraft, and so on)

I've played the game, and I loved it. From a gaming perspective, it was fantastic. It had great graphics for its time, and it had some really novel and fun ideas like the tornado ter'angreal for example. At first I thought using ter'angreal for combat was kind of cheesy, but it was so very well implemented that I changed my mind completely about it. It was also something new and different from the standard guns/swords/bow and arrows/spells approach used in most games. Very very cool.

I didn't find it too difficult (challenging but not frustrating), but that may be because I'm somewhat of a gamer. Other people posting on this thread probably were playing the game because they're WoT fans not gamers. From a WoT perspective the game is probably just "neat." The story isn't 100% (or even 75%) consistent with the "real" WoT. But it's a story that takes place in the WoT world. So it's really fun in the sense that you get to see what it would be like running around a creepy and dangerous Aridhol/Shadar Logoth scared for your life or fighting the Children of the Light or facing off against Black Ajah channeling weaves at you or running through the bridges and islands and spiral walkways of the Ways trying to escape Machin Shin!!! Very exciting in my opinion. And you get to use BALEFIRE!!! What's more cool than that?

I highly recommend it, and you should be able to get it cheaply on ebay or amazon. For non-gamers I agree it could be pretty challenging, so a helpful bit of advice would be to save often. Also, another hint for those channeler battles, there are ter'angreal specifically for fighting channelers, so make sure you use those. One of them is particularly useful because it saps their ability to channel while damaging them physically as well if I remember correctly (it's been a while).

I bought the game when it first came out.  I played it and loved it.  The storyline had nothing to do with the books but that didn't bother me.  The only thing that bothered me back then was that I didn't have a PC powerful enough to play the game with the best graphics settings.  I recently re-installed the game on a new PC that far surpasses the graphics requirements for that game and it's even better!

i'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

the online multi-player / battle mode was kind of fun, but got a little boring because it wasn't overly popular so the servers were sometimes a bit empty. also, the game was very 'limited' with what you could do.

as for the one player / storyline mode, it was a little weak. by itself its not an awful game and I could think of worse things to do w/ your time, but for people that like FPS's (First Person Shooters) there are a lot better options out there than that one.

Archived