DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Grammar Police

Zyrshnikashnu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Well' sounds a lot better than 'good' in that sense.

Ooh, I've thought of more things that annoy me  ;D

When people use the word 'and' several times in a sentence.

When people use lots of short sentences, instead of a variety.

Did I mention the tenses? Past, present and future. I hate it when people don't concentrate and mix them all up.

When people use words that they don't understand the meaning of.

ThIs TeXt really annoys me!!!!! Capitals at the beginning of a sentence, the beginning of names, NOT in the middle of a word!

Mistakes which counter the very rules which have been established through the formation of the dictionary and other means of defining a language do not become standard. Standard within the informal language, perhaps, but not within the formal language. No one here has claimed to speak perfect, formal English. However, there are some mistakes which are mistakes even within informal English. If a person misspells "thank you" as one word, then that is not simply a transition into a new informal language. That is simply a mistake that can be corrected.

And I agree with you, Mous, on the American pronunciation excuse for why we have changed the spelling of many words. Because that's just plain f*cking false. We didn't change the spelling (specifically Webster back 230 or so years ago) because it fit more appropriately with the pronunciation of the words. F*ck we pronounce "herb" without the "H". We changed the spelling and pronunciation of many words simply because we wanted to distance ourselves as far from the British as possible. That's why we took up coffee rather than tea (not to mention the tax that was placed on tea). Anyone who says we spell the word "color" C-O-L-O-R because it's pronounced cuh-luhr is a f*cking moron and needs to be shot.

I hate it when people argue circularly.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived