DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Grammar Police

Zyrshnikashnu

Some things make me angry. Here is a short list:

1. 'aswell' - You're stupid. Do you actually pronounce it as one word? You don't. Stop it.

2. 'thankyou' - If it's becoming one word, it's losing its meaning. Split them up.

3. 's - Don't use an apostrophe to make things plural. Ever. You don't have a counterexample.

4. their/there/they're - It's not hard. Think about it for a tenth of a second.

5. your/you're - See above. I don't even pronounce them the same, but maybe I'm odd.

Nothing here sparked this rant. I just saw (1) and (2) today and thought this would be a fun place to post it.

Contribute. Anything that bothers you is fair game. I don't care whether it has anything to do with writing. I hereby declare this the "I HATE THIS" thread.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear, look what you've done...  :D

I HATE:

When people say/write 'can you borrow me your (pen)?'.

When people don't bother with full stops. Or, any other punctuation.

Text language.

To/too/two. When people get the wrong one. Much the same as the 'they're/their/there' one.  ;)

When there's no capital letters at the beginning of sentances. I learnt how to do that in infant school.

There will be a few more later on.  :)

Punctuation.  It isn't that hard and you have many to choose from.  . ? ! 

There are also the people who listened to hard to their 10th grade english class, but never went any higher.  Single word sentences exist.  They are fine, they really exist.  Okay!

There are also the people who write how they talk.  While using your speech patterns in writing is okay, that does not mean that it is always right. 

Anybody that says u instead of you. Oh my God, a whole two extra letters! However can people get the energy to type two extra letters?!

Aswell, people that spell words with numbers. Okay buddy, you're not fragging anybody, so stop it, thankyou.

People that write with capslock on. They should be banned from the internet.

And people that put (sp?) after words they think they misspelled. If you think you misspelled it, go to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary! Anything else is just laziness(sp?). You can type in the word, and if it's wrong it'll show close matches. If it's right, then maybe you'll find out you were about to use it wrong.

Aswell, people that spell words with numbers. Okay buddy, you're not fragging anybody, so stop it, thankyou.

There are also the people who listened to hard too their 10th grade english. 

...wer these on porpose(sp?)

i dont liek it wen peeple r dumb.

do u?

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Hates:

When people cut me off in order to turn at the street right in front of us.

When people fail to use a blinker properly.

When people pronounce "wash cloth" as "worsh cloth" -or- "toilet" as "torlet".

Their, they're, there. Each has a different meaning.

God-moders.

Being put on hold for 20+ minutes when the answer to my question requires only a one word answer.

Having a stuffy nose and a runny nose at the same time.

Fixing a really nice dinner that took me an hour+ to prep, only to have my husband come home and say, "I'm not hungry..."  >:(

Having my husband run the gas tank down to E, so when I need to use the car, I have to fill up the tank AGAIN.  >:( >:(

Sitting in the Secretary of State, watching the lady behind the counter give an 85 year old woman the answers to the eye test, and actually handing over a license. When confronted about it, the lady told me the old woman needed help telling her left from her right. WTF???!?!?!?!

Sitting in the Secretary of State, watching the lady behind the counter give an 85 year old woman the answers to the eye test, and actually handing over a license. When confronted about it, the lady told me the old woman needed help telling her left from her right. WTF???!?!?!?!

Please tell me that's not true.

I'm never going to feel safe on the road again....

I'm an articulate person. I have great spelling and grammar. I also have occasional lapses in spelling and grammar. While there are things I don't tolerate well, this thread is a bit much. I am not going to look up one word that I just posted on a Word Association game in fiddlesticks. If you think that's lazy, then fine. But this is a message forum, not a college thesis.

Also, it's fine if you want to have a rant thread about things that push your buttons, but don't refer people who do those things to the thread. It's just rude.

*licks everyone's face before leaving*

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Faerielin, if you are offended by us goofing around with each other in a thread like this, then you are most assuredly in the wrong Org. This thread is just a rant thread, and people posting in reference to each other in this thread is pure goofing around. Members of this Org are aware of that, because that is the nature of this Org.

If you have any more issues with thread content, please take it up with the Org leader via pm. Her name is Ubel. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but your opinion has offended us just about as much as you were offended by the contents of this thread. Thanks! :)

Far Dareis Mai

Shayol Ghul Staff

The thing is I'm not a member of this org. I was referred to this thread from Fiddlesticks. That is why it bothered me.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone. I hadn't even planned to post again in this thread. Perhaps the person who referred me here doesn't realize that I'm not a member and that I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the Shayol Ghul org. But when the link was posted in response to my post in another area of the board, my perception was that I was being criticized and insulted.

I'm not even usually very quick to confrontation of any sort. I'm sorry that I offended anyone.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

If that is the case, then that person owes you an apology and I will personally get in touch with the Org leader. I was not aware that any links were being provided outside of this Org.

However, I was given the impression that this thread was not to single anyone out or purposely insult anyone, but to provide rants of things that irk us. I'm sorry if you were offended. I didn't realize someone went ahead and posted in Fiddlesticks. I'll check it out.

Archived