DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Rand return to his former self???

dmizzle

I think that would be impossible.

After all the things he's done and seen over the past 3 years he's totally changed from the beginning, obviously. It's like the saying "You can't go home again." This whole story is about him changing as a person and becoming what he needs to be to save the world, and hopefully not going over the edge.

Even if he survived the Last Battle and moved back to the Two Rivers, all of those experiences, all the women who have died for him, all the people he's killed, all the friends he's lost (and will lose), it's impossible for him to be the niave kid from the back side of nowhere who thinks Trollocs are Mydraal are a gleeman's tale.

I don't think Rand will ever go back to the Two Rivers. Even IF he does survive the last battle, he will still be hunted by many.

And as said before, he has seen and done too much to return to his old self. I think he may be somewhat like Lan when it's all over and done. You must also remember, he IS the king of Illian and can't really leave it.

I don't think Rand will ever go back to the Two Rivers. Even IF he does survive the last battle, he will still be hunted by many.

And as said before, he has seen and done too much to return to his old self. I think he may be somewhat like Lan when it's all over and done. You must also remember, he IS the king of Illian and can't really leave it.

Sorry dude but NO ONE is as badass as Lan, face it  :D

I'm not sure Rand will even survive the last battle. The entire series has this wierd Arthurian ring to it. A Sword in a stone that names the man who can pull it free king (Calandor). the whole thing with Gallad, as well as other things make me think that Rand will die. And like Arthur will been seen to die or seem to and like Arthur be said to be waiting for the time the world needed him again.

Darth_Andrea

I'm not sure Rand will even survive the last battle. The entire series has this wierd Arthurian ring to it. A Sword in a stone that names the man who can pull it free king (Calandor). the whole thing with Gallad, as well as other things make me think that Rand will die. And like Arthur will been seen to die or seem to and like Arthur be said to be waiting for the time the world needed him again.

The chances of Rand surviving the Last Battle are 50/50.  While the Prophecies seem to heavily imply that Rand will die at Tarmon Gaidon "His blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul will set humanity free" they never outright state he will indeed die.  This is noticed in the POVs of several of the main characters including Rand himself.  Elaida also thinks this same thought to herself when pondering the prophecies.  It would also be like RJ to throw us a curveball and have Rand survive in some form or another.  We do know for a fact that Rand will die at the Last Battle as his answer from the Finns definitively states that "In order to live he must die".  So this brings us to a resurrection type scenario.  Perhaps Nynaeve will heal death.  Perhaps he will come back in Moridin's body (a fairly popular theory since his current body is pretty damaged at this point what with only one hand and bad vision).

Either way, emotionally Rand will recover some if not all of his humanity that he has locked away over the past few years in his "hardening" process.  This will take place when Cadsuane teaches him laughter and tears again.  Also, the imminent emergence of Moiraine should greatly help rand with his current psychosis concerning women dying for him. 

While we should use the Arthurian model to some extent we should also remember that RJ drew imagery and ideas from all of human mythology and his storylines will not gel up completely with any set mythology that we are aware of.  Yes there is a Sword in the Stone, yes there is a King, yes there appears to be a funeral and a boat (the various visions of three women on a boat with Rand, the funeral bier etc etc.) but it will not be an exact match.

I don't think he can ever be exactly the way he was before. Innocence is something that cannot be regained for starters. If his girls get through the Last Battle alive and he settles down to family life then I think his slightly retarded emotions will recover. Even "now" we see him acting the way he used to on occasion when he's around Min.

We know his heram survives the last battle per Min's viewing.  As Feral said, innocense can't be recovered.  My belief is that Min, Moiraine and Cadsuane will help because as cadsuane said the boy must recover his humanity before Tarmon Gai'don or winning won't be much better than losing.  As noted he's somewhat normal around and Moiraine will crack his "dead women" thing.  Cadsuane has to teach him something; personally, I think this will have something to do with Semirahgue.  As for after Tarmon Gai'don, if Rand survives, Min will most likely keep him sane.  Elayne has two kingdoms to rule, Aviendha has to become a Wise one and then gain a hold.  Min only has rand and Fel's books.  Besides, if rand survives TG, he will probably take a very looooooooong vacation.

Heh al'thor..arthur. A bit similar, don't you think. ;)

Aside from that, Rand's story matches up to Arthurs rather well, but then Mat's is similar to Odin's, and so many others are close to so many myths. Though I can't think of any that have ever overlayed exactly, so we can't use the myths as a reliable source of whats going to be in aMoL.

Well consider also in the Arthurian model that Arthur in some versions of his story didn't die but was wounded and sent to Avalon to recover and rest till the world needed him again. We may see something simular in AMOL. The body on the boat gives that feeling, I have read various versions of the King Arthur story newer and some very old and I think I like RJ's interpertation best of them all.

Darth_Andrea

I can't imagine him returning to that wide-eyed youth, full of innocence. He's seen to much, had to do too much and blames himself too much. However, I think there'll be some sort of reform before the end, thanks to a number of thing that need to happen:

- Moiraine's Return

- Cadsuane's Promise to make him laugh and cry again.

- If he ever finds out he's a Poppa :P

Also remember, we can't even be certain that he'll survive...or that he'll be able to escape all the responsibility and power he gained while preparing the world for TG if he does survive.

Archived