DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tinker Question

Liitha

not sure if this is the place but i am going nuts as i am runing out of ideas on where to look for info

i know i am not so crazy to just imagine it also cause my BF do recal it but dont recal in which book it was

basicaly somewhere in there there is a mention that every so often all the Tinkers groups meet up, there is a set amount of time between each time this happen, what is it? and what is the name of the meeting/event?

i need it for something i am writing so would be very gratefull if someone know it or recal whereabout in the books, or even just which book it was in...

-Ata-

Frustrated RPer atm

Guest silver89

Wasn't there something about it in KoD. I seem to remember that they were all heading for Seanchan held teritories near Ebou Dar. I think because the Seanchan offered them safty and protection as long as they abide by Seanchan laws....

thank you and well that would explain why i havent found it in any tinker refrences given by enclopydia

and tinkers well the big deal about them is finding the song so things can be as good as AoL...throughout the books we seen that new things coma ebout and old things resurface

likely they will find the song and the song will be some sort of catelysator releasing a riple effect or something

I agree that they will find the song. I think the ter'angreal that Avienda discovered that is activated by "singing the right song" will come into play as well.  I can't even guess at HOW it will be significant, but it just seemed a bit too obvious not to be important somehow.

I agree that they will find the song. I think the ter'angreal that Avienda discovered that is activated by "singing the right song" will come into play as well.  I can't even guess at HOW it will be significant, but it just seemed a bit too obvious not to be important somehow.

That ter'angreal sounded an awful lot like the Talisman of Growing, given to the ogier so they could continue growing the ways themselves instead of having to rely on male channelrs who were getting crazier by the hour.

I strongly doubt the song will be found. The world is headed towards the 4th Age, apparently an Age dominated by industrial advancements and most likely the disappearance of channeling. It is not headed backwards to a return to the AOL.

Thank you for the answers, my friends. Its a very good point that the song the Tinkers are looking for is related to songs which the Ogier use for supernatural effects. However, I also agree with Majsju in that I believe WoTland is headed for the 4th age, one in which the ability to channel the one power eventually fades away, thus leading to the growth and advancements in technology.

I suppose that means the Tinkers will become more like the gypsies of our own history, and that the Ogiers will be translated or dimensionally shifted to one of the worlds we have seen before in the books.

actualy the AoL was quite a technical age...and while there is what 7 ages? the point of this one is that it separates from the equalents of the other 3rd ages that been

*and still looking for the meeting info*

havent even come by the section about the festiveties when 2 or 3 groups meet :p

-Ata-

*wanna tear out hair by now*

About the song, it doesn't in itself exist. The Song is a concept that the Tinkers sanctified as they remembered their roles as Da'shain Aiel in the Age of Legends. The myth of the Song encompasses two things, a desire by the Aiel to return to the peace they knew in the Age of Legends, and rememberence of the songs of growing. In either cases there is no sequence of specific words or a tune that is magical in nature. The Song is merely the function of a human talent called the Voice, and like Ogier treesinging the actual sounds are the product, not the source of the ability. Without that ability the song of growing would merely be random noises.

Certainly if someone manifests the Talent of the Voice it will be a wonderous thing, and it occurs to me that it could play a key role with the famine and tainting of food that is occuring at the moment. But it wont bring back the Age of Legends.

Thank you and by all keep discusing the tinkers, upon seeking this info i come to learn i havent paid quite enough attention to them...so all info is usefull one *grins*

but bel tine sounds very logical in that its a cheery event and they are a festive people with music interest and that dance and all

the thing is i dont fully belive we are going into the 4th age as it has been before, because the dark one made it quite clear that while they battled many a times before this time its different...this is the final battle

what that means though...who knows...its not good to know what will happen after the battle..but as for technical things they had that in AoL as well who in some ways can resemble some starwars like movies with all the fantastical devices they had

I think the thing Aviendha found will be significant, but I also remember that when someone goes to Rhuidien, they do not take weapons in remembrance of the Jenn Aiel - who seem to me to be ancestors of the Tinkers, or maybe the Tinkers themselves since they are one of the few people who can enter the Aiel Waste without harm.

I remember some other places (maybe it was when Rand was in Rhuidien) where Aiel and Ogier were singing together.  So this makes me think that the destiny of the Tinkers is to be reunited with the Aiel in some fashion...or to rediscover the relationship of song between the Aiel (humans) and the Ogier.

Just some thoughts.

I think the thing Aviendha found will be significant, but I also remember that when someone goes to Rhuidien, they do not take weapons in remembrance of the Jenn Aiel - who seem to me to be ancestors of the Tinkers, or maybe the Tinkers themselves since they are one of the few people who can enter the Aiel Waste without harm.

I remember some other places (maybe it was when Rand was in Rhuidien) where Aiel and Ogier were singing together.  So this makes me think that the destiny of the Tinkers is to be reunited with the Aiel in some fashion...or to rediscover the relationship of song between the Aiel (humans) and the Ogier.

Just some thoughts.

They are indeed ancestors: The Da'shain Aiel in the Age of Legends were charged with the task of preserving ter'angreal and angreal and sa'angreal. Either to save it from the Shadow (who were over-running everybody) or from all the gaga male channelers. But eventually the broke up into 3 groups:

The Aiel (Modern Day)

The Jenn Aiel (True Aiel)

The Tinkers

The Tinkers were 1st to leave, but I may have the order wrong. They had recently been attacked and got sick of doing Aes Sedai bidding, lost faith and decided to go their own way. After some Aiel (AoL Aiel that is) were kidnapped, some of the remaining Aiel took up weapons to get them back, but not a sword as that was solely for killing and served no other purpose. Some woman fought with them too see as someone from her family was either killed or captured.

After the rescue, they were kicked out from the Aiel not following The Way of the Leaf (Now the Jenn Aiel, or True Aiel were the only left who had served the Aes Sedai faithfully.)

So the warrior Aiel protected the Jenn until they reached the Aiel Waste, were eventually the Aiel forgot why the Jenn Aiel were so revered and eventually forgot the history of themselves altogether until the Jenn were barely considered Aiel at all.

The Jenn built Rhuidien as their 'hold' and that's why there are so many items of the power there, the stuff the AoL Aes Sedia gave into their keeping.

Guest silver89

I can't remeber. What happened to the Jenn Aiel? Did they just dwindle out and die or were they killed or did they all just eventually trickle into become Modern day Aiel?

I believe that they dwindled and died out. Pretty sure that this is the reason that the Wise Ones and the clan chiefs started going to Rhuidien and entering the ter'angreal. This was to make sure that the true history of the Aiel would not be forgotten.A deal struck between the Jenn Aiel and the Aiel, Rand sees this deal happening in one of his ancestors memories, when he goes to Rhuidien.

No, the Tinkers split off from the Aiel before the use of the term Jenn Aiel ever came into being. Moreover the Tinkers have interbred with other races so heavily that genetically their Aiel roots are very distant.

The term Jenn Aiel came into being following the breaking of the First Covenant. Aiel took up weapons, yet still wished to call themselves Aiel. Thus the ones who held to the Covenant came to be called the Jenn Aiel ('the only true Aiel' in the Old Tongue). This happened more than a generation after the Tuatha'an seperated from the Aiel.

Archived