DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who Liked Narnia?

goldeneys

Of the following, which trilogy would you be more likely to read solely based on the title of the trilogy?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Of the following, which trilogy would you be more likely to read solely based on the title of the trilogy?

• The Trilogy of Rose
    • The Legend of Rose
    • The Legacy of Rose

I loved it, my father read it to me when I was 6 and 7 and I thought it was fantastic.

My favoirte character would have to be that mouse in The Voyage of the Dawn Trader (can't remember his name).

My favorite book is The Silver Chair.

Guest Cadsuane

Are we speaking of books or the recent movie?

I love the books, I think they are done just exactly right for their purpose. Not too long, but a complete story and complete characters in each one.

The movie, on the other hand... I was unimpressed. I much prefer the old BBC versions, as corny as they are, and with the outdated special effects.

I thought Lucy was dull, Aslan was unimpressive, and the basic CGI effects of humans against digital background were bordering on AWFUL. Yes, some of the animals looked good, but when they can't blend the human actors into a mountain scene, that's rather pathetic... :?

Guest Winespring Brother

They were definitely my favourite books when I was a kid, although when I read them again a few years back I was surprised at some of the sentiments i missed as a kid, like how Susan can't go to "heaven" because she is into boys and make-up.

My favourite character was almost certainly Puddleglum the Marshwiggle. He always made me laugh.

But the movie..... what a yawn that was!

• Community Administrator

Yeh, they shoulda made it at least pg-13! Me wanna see violence! Blood! Possibly a quick booby shot.... Okay, scratch that last one.....

*me wanna bread stick! me wanna bread stick! me wanna bread stick!* <- who said that quote?

they were o.k., but i gotta agree with cads on the old bbc version. the whole time i was watching the new one i was thinking they had only remade the old ones with more soundtrack and less feeling... i liked the old white witch and aslan better. the new beavers were better though.

I have to say that I expected something more from it. I can't say exactly what' date=' but it wasn't what I was hoping for. I liked lotr much more. :)[/quote']

I know what you mean, I did too.

Oh, and Sinister, I would have liked that too, but I thought it was pretty good this way too.

My little bros like this, two of them which are 6 and 9, if it had violence and blood and stuff, they wouldn't have been allowed.

I thought Lucy was dull' date=' Aslan was unimpressive, and the basic CGI effects of humans against digital background were bordering on AWFUL. Yes, some of the animals looked good, but when they can't blend the human actors into a mountain scene, that's rather pathetic... :?[/quote']

I have to agree with this part Cads...and add this: My two favorite characters were Mr. Tumnus who only ended up having about 15 minutes screen time, and (Lewis rolling over in his grave) the Ice Queen. The children that were cast gave fairly uninspired performances, and the whole story seemed to move way to fast with little character development; in the end, I didn't believe the actors. Lastly, while I enjoy a good allegory, I think this one was over the top and too in your face. I like to look for the allegory and metaphors, not have them shoved down my throat. But these are one person's opinions.

Guest Majsju

The Ice Queen owned the movie.

As for the old BBC version, I hated it. But the old animated one...Brilliant! :D

i love the books, i learned to read english with them wen i was 8, and i still go to them for 'comfort reading'

again, the i grew up on the BBC versions, and to go ab=gainst the tides, i LOVE them. they are so low budget and cute, the acting of the children is on a par with the recent movie at least.

i could hardly watch as they mangled the speech idioms....

i waited and waited for "why! of all the poisonous little beasts!!!" it wasnt there!! :cry:

i do have to concede though...the other tumnus and the ice queen rocked, and so did the CG

but i went right home and watch my well worn version of the BBC version of tLWW.

i think it would be good if they made a new verion of 'the voyage of the dawntreader' (would they have to make 'prince caspian' do you think?)

I enjoyed the film it was good entertainment. I took My (then 5 year old) daughter to see it. She absolutely loved it and for her to sit still no fidgeting,wanting to go to the loo,talking etc for over 2 hours was amazing. She has never done that for some of the cartoons aimed at her age. We bought the film the other week and she's seen it a fair few times since. So for keeping her amused it was excellent.

I vaguely remember the series being on BBC at the time but can't actually remember any details about them.

Loved the books when I was young and am rereading them to my daughter who also loves them.

I love the music for the film and have just ordered it.

I spent half my childhood in Narnia - what a wonderful place.

The film was good, much better than the BBC version but not up to LoR (it needed way more money spent on it to make it that good) but it came close enough for me.

Archived