DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's hand

No, I don't think he did--that I remember. It doesn't fit with his mentality; to him a hand--even if it's his sword hand--is not worth the sacrifice of a life--a woman's at that; it doesn't matter that the woman in question is so evil she would make Narg wet his pants just looking at him. I don't think Rand would have considered it even if it had been a man. It would seem selfish to him.

i dont think that bringing on the heartbreak was the sole reasoning behind the nonbalefiring of semi. she was already in custody, and people had some questions for her.

Actually, what I meant by getting over a heartbreak that fast pertains to real life, our world, not the books in any way.

apologies. i had the song in my head for the last week....damn big hair bands.

you are right, rand only thought to himself that now he would have to learn the sword all over again.

you are right, rand only thought to himself that now he would have to learn the sword all over again.

I was so sad watching Rand take it so indifferently. I wish he showed some emotion, any emotion at all. At least it would have been more normal to scream or cry, or so SOMETHING, anything but just stand there and barely care.

Guest silver89

I cringed when I read that part, I couldn't imagine being so indifferent about losing a hand. :(

But then I'm not Rand and for him it was a fair trade. He lost a hand but in doing so he saved Min and allowed a forsaken to be captured.

He's got one goal, TG. Anything that can't help him in his efforts he will leave behind him with no grief or regrets. Thats why he didn't think about balefire because for him, his hand had already been left behind. :o 

I'm about half convinced that Elayne is going to find a way of healing his hand back into existance. Reason being is that in The Great Hunt Min saw a severed hand in her aura. Some have thought it was a reference to Mat and the red hand but I am not convinced of that. And I think the hot poker that was seen in the same viewing means that Galad will take her and hand her over to the questioners. If he believes that Morgase is dead I doubt any loyality he feels twards her would hold.

Darth_Andrea

Elayne has not talent with healing, unfortunately. And beyond that i simply don't see how someone could completely restore a severed hand... in terms of the pure science of it, the construction of nerves and tissue, much less the creation of something from nothing... it seems unlikely, and incogruent with the nature of healing. Healing does not create, it fixes what is already there.

Semirhage was the best Healer in the Age of Legends was she not? I could picture Nyna trying to learn from her, to restore Rand's hand.... However, the question would be then if Rand would let her bother. I just can't picture RJ writing something so significant as Rand losnig his hand only to have it be replaced later, unless replacing it leads to something else even bigger (like resurrecting dead people with the One Power?).

I don't think that it would matter that he lost his hand in relation to sword fighting. He channels a sword of fire into his hand and his hand doesn't get burned. so why couldn't he channel a hand of fire on his stump to hold his sword of fire? The one power can be channeled without using hand gestures so why couldn't he fight with a power wroght sword without a hand to hold it.

It should be possible to make someone's hand come back.  It is NOT scientfically impossible (as if that matters in a fantasy world).  The instructions for your whole body are stored in dna and given the right manipulation you should be able to regrow a hand.  Scientists are already learning how to do this kind of stuff in real life, granted it is freakish and nasty most of the time like Aginor's experiments, so people shun it.  Whether the One Power is an appropriate vessel to accomplish this is the only question.

I personally do not care too much if Rand’s hand is restored. The only significance this part holds for me is to show how much (and not for the good) Rand changed. in one of the books he lost his temper and slammed Perrine in to a wall- I’m sure he has tonsof self control-{voice dripping with sarcasm} I think the reason Rand Didn't say a word about his hand was because he has gone nuts and didn't even notice. If Rand DIES IN THE FORTHCOMMING books I will not mourn the man he is, rather the innocent boy lost to  ravings.

That scene between Rand and Perrin was planned by the two of them so that Perrin and Rand could outwit their forces of the dark one lined up against them, making the Darkfriends believe that there really was a real split between Rand and Perrin, when the truth is that Rand needed and wanted Perrin to go to the Two Rivers to save their homelands. However, the Pattern and the Ta'vernes pull between Rand and Perrin was resisting what they knew that had to do. Thus, there was that showy scene where it appeared that Rand was forcing Perrin away but the truth is, that it was all part of the plan of those two men from Emond's Field.

Rand is not a crazy lunatic. Do not believe that he is for one minute. The insane voice in Rand's head is the very real personality and soul of Lews Therin. But Rand himself has not gone stark raving insane.

Hello World to Niss, they are two separate souls. And lets see how you would treat people if every second of your life was spent trying to cope and deal with overwhelming agony of pains from those two wounds in your body, and at the same time trying to cope with the fact that the very fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders.

Guest silver89

Hello World to Niss, they are two separate souls. And lets see how you would treat people if every second of your life was spent trying to cope and deal with overwhelming agony of pains from those two wounds in your body, and at the same time trying to cope with the fact that the very fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders.

Actually they are the same soul which have been born at different times with different names and faces.

Archived