DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Rolling Gateways of death

SinisterDeath

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about opneing a horizontal gateway with the let out point just above the take in point. Theoretically you could fall forever.

nope you could'nt. The gateways would collapse after sometime and would slice you in 2.

honestly, i thought that the DeathGates were missing something. If trollocs see anything made of the OP by their enemies, should they have the sense to stop running!

If the gateways were tied off there would be no reason for them to collapse. Untouched a tied of weave should last forever, barring the influence of the Dark One. Romanda actually thinks on this at one stage when thinking about why the Keepings have failed, and the wards on Callondor lasted 3,400 years (since before the breaking).

Additionally, the maximum a circle can be IS 72, i went and checked in the BWB. My bad.

Guest Winespring Brother

over a year ago there was a fantastic thread on the different possibilities using gateways, mostly inspired by an essay that Fader posted. If anyone sees him, ask him if he still has it.

My favourite idea was the one that if you made a gateway so that the "entrance" was just infront of you and the "exit" just behind, could you then lift yourself up? Perhaps not, but you could give yourself a back massage :)

• 1 month later...

One thing that has bugged me since the whole shadowspawn can't go through a gateway and live thing came up, if that is true then how did Lanfear get her trollocs and fades into the stone of tear to fight the ones that were already attacking it?

This is my first post, so if I missed something obvious my apologies.

Er...maybe I missed something, but why do you say they can't go through gateways? The deathgates work because a gateway slices anything that's in its way when it's formed. Therefore, a spinning, constantly opening and closing gateway would do a lot of slicing and killing.

bratr: I didn't notice anything miswritten, but okie dokie :)

Rinog: Did he? o_O I don't own a copy of KoD (I'm cheap and waiting for the paperback). Do you remember when he says this?

Why wouldn't they be able to go through, though? That doesn't really make sense :?

He said it to Logain and Cadsuane as they are walking through the dead bodies after the battle. It seems it has something to do with their nature as constructs, and the nature of gateways as bends in reality, but we really can't be sure. Someone should ask RJ.

In any case it has been made very clear, Shadowspawn cannot pass through a gateway of any form. The knife like aspect of the deathgates is just an added bonus.

One thing that has bugged me since the whole shadowspawn can't go through a gateway and live thing came up, if that is true then how did Lanfear get her trollocs and fades into the stone of tear to fight the ones that were already attacking it?

Well, for starters it wasn't Lanfear that sent those, she just pretended it was to win Rand over... indeed, you'll not that she never even said that they were. In actuality it was Semirhage, acting on a command of the Dark One, who sent them--as we learn in the chapter where Semirhage is torturing Cabriana.

As for your question... it is a good one. Possibly a mistake on RJ's part, since using the Ways would have taken time... Actually, here's an explanation. She simply turned up and commanded some of those that were already present. Since she would have needed to stay incognito so she likely wasn't wanting to make here presense known she probably didn't stay to comman EVERY Myrdraal... just enough to make the battle even, and then she was off.

Still... a good question.

Thanks, Luckers. I had completely forgotten about that. I think maybe I need to make another trip to the library rather than wait for the paperback. :roll:

Yup, they were smuggled in on barges and wagons. But at one point during the attack, trollocs start fighting each other and Lanfear implies that she is responsible. Someone suggested that she had brought those trollocs in through a gateway (which is, apparently, impossible).

Yeah, I'd always thought the second set of Trollocs sent into the Stone were brought via gateway. I know the first set came by barge, but it seems Semi would have a hard time pulling off a split second rescue via barge or waygate. Oh well, RJ had to go debunk my thoughts on the matter. ;)

RJ will let us speculate and then he'll drop a bombshell in the last book thats gonna keep us talking till year 3000.

(by the way this has nothing to do with WoT but has anyone noticed that in history many times civilizations have gained great technology, know how and high livving standards {aincent Egyptions} but always some kind of plauge or war causes most of it to be lost. It makes me wonder if our world isn't gong through a cycle too. Not as dramatic maybe but maybe causeing a sort of up and down pattern in how well of we are) well I dont care if no one reads it at all I just needed to get it out.

• 1 month later...

Shadowspawn cannot, i think, go through gateways because as constructs or bioengineered(you choose term) they lack something that natural beings have. Soul, spirit, or something else, and when they pass through the gateway they cease living. Maybe gateway "dematerialize" and "rematerialize" you and that something reactivates you(essentially cpr for the soul). Without it there dead.

and if the gateway is made with the true power? something made with the essence of the dark may permit the acces to trollocs and myrdraal?.

in other way i allways thougt the gateway twist the space the wave make two places coexistence in the same space-time, so you have to know where you are and where you go; not like a teletransportation which would need dematerializing and rematerializing

Quote: in other way i allways thougt the gateway twist the space the wave make two places coexistence in the same space-time, so you have to know where you are and where you go; not like a teletransportation which would need dematerializing and rematerializing

Its different for males and females.

males- bring two places together and bore a hole between that they can then step through.

females- make the spot they are at similar to the place they want to go and then when are "similar" enough... step across to the new place.

either sex trying the others way is apparently disasterous.

Moggy told this to Egwene and Elayne i believe in Salidar.

Ok guys if you read in KoD you will notice that when Rand/LTT makes them they aren't the same as a regular gate. They opened to darkness i think if anything they might have opened to the spaces between the pattern. You know like Moggy was afraid of in LoC when Egwene asked her how to do it. I might be wrong but i honestly don't think they opened to anyplace real. They just used the razor sharp edges to kill not to transport.

Archived