DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Rolling Gateways of death

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

So um, yea I figured i'd make a thread dedicated to how cool those things were.. Also, did anyone else just love picturing a lot of trolloc parts flying down on some random farmer's house going "What the blood and bloody ashes was that?!"

Anywho, Awhile ago someone asked rj in one of his q&a things, about making gateways at angles, and he said it was possible, just no ones figured out the weave.. Well we now know, what he meant. =)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

I would love to see a scene in AMOL where a huge circle opened up a deathgate large enough to deposit 50K trollocs or so at once somewhere. And it would be extra cool if a few warders where standing in the middle fighting, just to all of a sudden look around and see just a huge load of corpses :lol:

I think it would be funny if a circle opened a large gateway like three feet apart or something across a valley. That way the trollocs couldn't tell there was a gateway. Then the good guys standing on the other side making faces to get the trollocs to charge. Dead trollocs.

I would assume that most deathgates would open over ocean, as it is most of the Jordan world.

Wouldn't it also make sense that eventually someone would deathgate a trolloc and they would appear only five feet away? How about in the intended path of the deathgate itself?

Does the opening of the deathgate for trolloc deposit appear vertically or horizontally to have them "just fall to earth"?

If it is horizontally, how high up in the atmosphere could this be done?

Has anyone else thought of Haplo and the Death Gate cycle every time you read this section of the book?

Can Bela make a deathgate?

Can Bela make a deathgate?

i vehemently affrim, YES Bela can make probably about five times as many deathgates as Rand/LTT can, mostly becaue she is awesome...Have a nice day all...and sorry for the random outburst. Now back to the regularly scheduled Deathgate disscussion.

It was my understanding (although I've only read the chapter once) that the deathgates weren't used to transport the trollocs somewhere, but rather as a razor to cut through hundreds of them at a time. I seem to remember them having to burn piles of trolloc pieces. Am I totally off my rocker?

• Community Administrator

Well, those were pieces, however other parts of the trollocs, were in fact sent to someplace else.. Was it not rand who said something along the lines in innermonologue about some trolloc parts falling on a farmers house?

I don't think Padin Fain controls Machin Shin per say. If you recall the scene where Fain meets with High Lord Turok he fully expects for Rand to arrive on Toman Head no more than a day or two behind him. This implies he believes Rand will follow through the Ways. Also, why would he expect this if he had set Machin Shin to guard/follow Rand.

My personal belief is that Machin Shin tried to consume Fain's soul at the end of The Eye of the World but found something it could not destroy or consume completly. Fain was forged by the Dark One to be his Hound then later possessed by Mordeth in Shadar Logoth. I don't believe he is human at all anymore.

So when Machin Shin attempts to consume the soul of this hybrid "super evil" creature it is unsuccessful in its typical fashion. However, part of Fain or what used to be Fain IS left behind. It is this aspect (unbeknownst to Fain himself) which drives the mindless Machin Shin to seek out Rand.

Anyway, that is my take on things and sorry for kind of derailing the whole Deathgate topic.

Lopar

• 2 weeks later...

just a little earlier it was mentioned that trollocs can't pass through gateways of the one power.... when does it mention that in the books? i may just be missing something, but i can't for the life of me remember anytime it is expressly given that shadowspawn can't pass through gateways... :?:

Archived