DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New to the forums, not so new to the series

EirikDaude

Hi all, new here but not new to the series. Been reading the books since around 1997. Read 1-8 c.6times, 9-11 x 3 and 12-14 once. 

I'm a huge FF fan, and having read Sanderson's (abysmal) efforts in the final books, read the Mistborn and Stormlight Archive in print and have to say, he had a tough gig trying to finish off RJ's legacy. 

Started my FF journey at the age of 13 with the Shannara books, then the Belgariad, Sword of Truth and on to the Wheel of Time at 15. 

Sarah

3 hours ago, Elgee said:

Oh dear ... is it too long and complicated?

Nah, I got throught it fine, although I must admit I just skimmed the parts I felt didn't apply to me - such as how to switch ajahs and so forth.

One thing you may want to be aware is that the welcome post links to a locked thread about the rules - it seems you have created a new one, which was in the email I got from the Mistress of Novices, but it lead to me not signing off on having understood the rules until after having gotten the email. Ofc, just poking around the forums should have led me to the newer thread too, but it was similar enough to the old one that I thought I'd already read it...

Anyway, just a little heads up!

10 hours ago, Sarah Smith said:

Hi all, new here but not new to the series. Been reading the books since around 1997. Read 1-8 c.6times, 9-11 x 3 and 12-14 once. 

I'm a huge FF fan, and having read Sanderson's (abysmal) efforts in the final books, read the Mistborn and Stormlight Archive in print and have to say, he had a tough gig trying to finish off RJ's legacy. 

Started my FF journey at the age of 13 with the Shannara books, then the Belgariad, Sword of Truth and on to the Wheel of Time at 15. 

Sarah

Welcome Sarah! I am in a pretty similar situation to you, I think I must have read the books for the first time in the late 90s too. One difference is that I was disappointed enough in the final books that I swore off Sanderson forever, but maybe his own series are better than the effort he made at writing tWoT? Maybe I'll have to reconsider reading some of his works...

Also, what is FF an abbreviation for? I've been twisting my head trying to figure it out, but I just can't do it!

1 hour ago, EirikDaude said:

One thing you may want to be aware is that the welcome post links to a locked thread about the rules - it seems you have created a new one,

The imbedded link you gave up above by "welcome post" is for the one on the Tar Valon board. The only link in that post, leads to the WT 101 thread (where you've posted to say you joined) ... could you point me to what exact thread is a locked one that's old? You're welcome to PM me if you want, or just post the link here, if you can.

50 minutes ago, Elgee said:

I thought it stood for Fantasy Fiction?

Ah, that does make sense. I was wondering if it was a certain book series or anything like that, and just couldn't wrap my head around it 🙂

Edited by EirikDaude

On 10/30/2023 at 8:44 AM, EirikDaude said:

Nah, I got throught it fine, although I must admit I just skimmed the parts I felt didn't apply to me - such as how to switch ajahs and so forth.

One thing you may want to be aware is that the welcome post links to a locked thread about the rules - it seems you have created a new one, which was in the email I got from the Mistress of Novices, but it lead to me not signing off on having understood the rules until after having gotten the email. Ofc, just poking around the forums should have led me to the newer thread too, but it was similar enough to the old one that I thought I'd already read it...

Anyway, just a little heads up!

Welcome Sarah! I am in a pretty similar situation to you, I think I must have read the books for the first time in the late 90s too. One difference is that I was disappointed enough in the final books that I swore off Sanderson forever, but maybe his own series are better than the effort he made at writing tWoT? Maybe I'll have to reconsider reading some of his works...

Also, what is FF an abbreviation for? I've been twisting my head trying to figure it out, but I just can't do it!

His own series are definitely worth the read. I read the Stormlight Archives just because I thought 'surely he can't genuinely be that bad an author, everyone raves about him' and I was right, he IS a great author. Give the Archives a go. I'd even go so far as to say that they are maybe (shhhh!) better than WoT

I personally couldn't do it. I think of writing rps and that it must be a bit like that but doubled? Slipping inside the head of someone who is already a creation of someone else's mind? 

Wait, that sorta sounds like Rand! 😅 Certainly a few levels beyond me anyway!