DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gentled vs stilled

Is there any information about the age regression in terms of men who are gentled? Everyone seems stunned by siuan and leane aging backwards after being stilled, presumably because of a lack of precedent. But men are gentled more commonly and even though they do typically die before too long, I don’t recall anyone remarking on a sudden change in the appearance of their age

19 hours ago, wotfan4472 said:

A stilled Wise One, or Windfinder would look no different.

The reason the Aes Sedai look younger after stilling is because of the Three Oaths.

Gentled men are like the Wise One or Windfinder. No physical change.

Well I feel like a dumb dumb. Thank you for pointing out the obvious explanation. Wtf is the deal with the oath rod? It really does a number on the oath taker 

1 hour ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Well I feel like a dumb dumb. Thank you for pointing out the obvious explanation. Wtf is the deal with the oath rod? It really does a number on the oath taker 

Didn't Hawkwing force that on the tower?

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Didn't Hawkwing force that on the tower?

If I recall correctly, the oaths were a direct result of hawkwing. I don’t remember if he forced it per se, he may indeed have, but I do think his power/influence/mistrust of aes Sedai combined with the war/siege was the reason for the aes Sedai deciding that in order to facilitate trust and respect (and control) they needed to adopt the oaths. The aes Sedai of the age of legends, as we’re often reminded most notably by the forsaken, were an entirely different breed. The superiority complex endured, but it seemed to be based on arrogance and ignorance rather than genuine service to all. Servant to all became servants to self. In response to your question, I think hawkwing was the clear turning point illustrating that the general opinion had changed, reflecting that the fundamental principles had changed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to add a question here rather than start a new thread since it’s related. After being stilled and then the age regression, will the aging process resume normally from there? In the case of the severing being healed as with siuan and leane, assuming they lived a natural lifespan and did not retake the oaths, are they considered to essentially be reset to the younger age therefore potentially living even longer than the channelers who didn’t take the oaths? I don’t know if we can do anything more than speculate but this age factor and all of its variations is very intriguing to me. I wonder if the AS were to figure out the effect of the oath rod and stilling on age, combined with the ability to heal severing, if some would actually choose to be stilled and then healed?

Edited by Lightfriendsocialmistress

• Community Administrator

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Three_Oaths

Assuming they're correct...

According to the glossary entry in the books for the Three Oaths and The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, the second Oath was adopted after the War of Power. This is confirmed by the Companion which explains that it came about through tales of that war and those adopting did so knowing it would reduce their lifespan, so strong was their motivation. Later generations were not told of this effect and so the knowledge was lost.[1]

The First and Third Oaths were adopted some time before the start of the Trolloc Wars, as much as 500 years beforehand, in response to the common people's distrust of Aes Sedai. It is noted that all three oaths were concretely in place by the end of the Trolloc Wars.[1] This seems somewhat contradictory, but can be explained if all three oaths were not made mandatory until the Trolloc Wars, imposed only on some members of the White Tower or intermittently, with various Amyrlins or Halls adopting different policies.

By the end of the Trolloc Wars, the Oaths had been integrated into the ceremony for raising Accepted.