DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna and her Warders

Jaccsen

On 9/9/2022 at 2:12 PM, WhiteVeils said:

I admit I nearly dropped the series after Rahvin's death.  It was too much, all at once, and it just seemed to be ridiculous. It took me a while to pick the series up again. So you're right about everyone's camel having a different breaking point.

Rahvin's death wasn't too much for me, but Perrin chasing Faile nearly was - seemed so out of character for him.  Not the chasing, but seemingly abandoning all his other responsibilities.

Too be honest, it wouldn't have made me quit.  There was too much else I wanted to see how it would turn out.  But I hated most of the arc from both Perrin's and Faile's side.

Edited by DojoToad

3 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

It wouldn't, just like a trans individual's genetics don't change.  Trans people are what they are.  Trans men are men, Trans women are women.  In the imaginary world of WoT your One Power Connection doesn't change.

Which even further allows a "Woman" dragon since it could be an AMAB individual.   Because 1000's year old prophecies are unreliable and prone to misunderstanding.

Thank you for the response.  I appreciate the thoughtfulness rather than being attacked for not using the correct terminology while I learn.

If I'm understanding you right - genetics stays the same, but gender (or gender identity) doesn't necessarily match AMAB/AFAB.  Correct?  But I wouldn't be surprised if I messed it up...

Would be interested to see if the show decides to tackle it - especially in a channeler.

7 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Thank you for the response.  I appreciate the thoughtfulness rather than being attacked for not using the correct terminology while I learn.

If I'm understanding you right - genetics stays the same, but gender (or gender identity) doesn't necessarily match AMAB/AFAB.  Correct?  But I wouldn't be surprised if I messed it up...

Would be interested to see if the show decides to tackle it - especially in a channeler.

In as much as I can be definitive in a fictional world, yeah.  Real life Trans people don't change DNA (Though to be fair our biological sex is not actually a binary system, just has 2 options far more common than others, but there are XXY, X and XXX, XYY, etc)

In the real world a trans person is the gender they identify with, but the biological sex doesn't change.  So there's two ways it could work with channeling. 

Soul Ties to Biological sex:  You'll always get the Aran'Gar situation.

Souls aren't tied to Biological sex: You get the scenarios already touched on that wouldn't be particularly well known.

I will be curious if they tackle it in the show, I'm not expecting them too, but would be pleasantly surprised.

On 9/7/2022 at 5:43 PM, expat said:

There were lots of low status Aes Sedai at the rebel camp that could have worked well as a figurehead.  They didn't need to elevate an Accepted. 

But there really weren't. Egwene's special connection to Rand is the core component in her ascent. It wasn't that they were looking for a figurehead - you're right, anyone could serve in that role. They were looking for an in with Rand and, more importantly, an in with Rand that they could control

Egwene fit the bill precisely because she was a Novice. The sisters thought (in their appropriately snobbish way) that their status as full Aes Sedai would be sufficient to keep Egwene in line.