DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers) v2.1

SinisterDeath

Guest Wolfbrother31
22 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

No 

Hide contents

Galina puts Rand in a box, Liandrin hands Egwene to the Seanchan then escapes to Tear, and later Tarabon.

Mmm yeah, that's right. 

It's hard to keep all the Aes Sedai straight. 

I think I was also conflating Liandrin with Alviarian... Who is a White but also 

Spoiler

Black Ajah - and Elaida's right hand. 

Is she part of the box thing?

Will Mat go with the rest of the party into the Ways? I've read rumors that Barney Harris isn't in the last two episodes, but he's there in the press pics in front of the Waygate

Edit: Nevermind. According to IMDB he is appearing in all 8 episodes.

The Wheel of Time (TV Series 2021– ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Spoiler

Also, according to this, the actor for Lews Therin appears in episode 8 ? Very interesting, that!

Edited by mogi68

3 hours ago, MasterAblar said:

No 

Reveal hidden contents

Galina puts Rand in a box, Liandrin hands Egwene to the Seanchan then escapes to Tear, and later Tarabon.

And they had better cast her perfectly, or I will be overturning tables and stomping about in a foul temper. 

Spoiler

Verin

happens to be my favourite character from the books.

As someone who has read and listened to the books many multiple times, i started the show with apprehension.. there are a few things that really irk me but for the most part i am enjoying it. 

One thing that really irked me from episode four was the fact that it seems like male and female channelers can see each others weaves. Or that was the implication i got from Logain saying "Like a raging sun" after Nynaeve hadouken healing bombed the cave.

20 minutes ago, Hobo said:

As someone who has read and listened to the books many multiple times, i started the show with apprehension.. there are a few things that really irk me but for the most part i am enjoying it. 

One thing that really irked me from episode four was the fact that it seems like male and female channelers can see each others weaves. Or that was the implication i got from Logain saying "Like a raging sun" after Nynaeve hadouken healing bombed the cave.

I am hoping that is not the case, and instead he saw the effects of her weave (a bright light) rather then the weave itself. 

8 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I'm pretty sure Rafe has confirmed that we will be getting more scenes of things that happened in SL.

Though I do agree that they missed an opportunity to have a way cooler sequence. Mostly for me it just has to do with the way they chose to depict Mashadar. A little bit is pacing. But I think we will still see more of SL in Season 1.

I do wish show runners would have more cool stuff like this happen in the light ?, although it wasn't as dark as Winterfell attacked by Zombies 

Nynaeve's hair was also flying upward super saiyan style so I don't know. The trivia built into the show says they can't see each other weaves. Moiraine says she can't see men's weaves. Whatever was happening with Logain could be explained away if they wanted to. They could say "Nynaeve's weaving was untrained and unfocused and she also wove visible light and air" or something.

11 hours ago, Hobo said:

Its been made clear they cannot see the weaves. Im inclined to go with the visible light and air option. And that his statement and reaction was because Moiraine literally just said that. 

1 hour ago, Agitel said:

Nynaeve's hair was also flying upward super saiyan style so I don't know. The trivia built into the show says they can't see each other weaves. Moiraine says she can't see men's weaves. Whatever was happening with Logain could be explained away if they wanted to. They could say "Nynaeve's weaving was untrained and unfocused and she also wove visible light and air" or something.

I liked the scene of Nyneaves' power, but I do find it troubling that Logain (I have always and still have an issue with his name rhyming with Rogain... since the first time I read EotW) apparently saw something when Nyneave had her Moment of Awesome (trademark to Leigh Butler).  I am waiting for upcoming episodes to explain that better.

The show also hasn't done a good job of explaining that non-channellers can't see the weaves.  I don't think we've had any scene that has explained it EXPLICITLY.  The closest we've had is Thom's "he threw the knife without using his hands" bit.  

I'm watching the show with a non-book reader who hasn't picked up on the fact yet.  If they take too long to explain that, they will later be called out for ret-conning the lore/canon.

Sarah Nakamura’s original tweet also referred to Logain shielding his eyes from debris (which I do remember seeing go everywhere). Which makes sense even if the light the viewer saw was invisible to him.

In general, use of the power in the show seems to have a more explosive quality than in the books. I don’t mean that in the sense of being exciting - rather in that something like Nynaeve healing people (which was clearly at the uncontrolled end of things, given she inadvertently healed everyone) sends debris flying as well. 

1 hour ago, CaddySedai said:

Its been made clear they cannot see the weaves. Im inclined to go with the visible light and air option. And that his statement and reaction was because Moiraine literally just said that. 

Has it been made clear in the show? I may have missed that as was fairly late when i watched them. 

And i know it needs to be dumbed down for the show but they have nerfed channeling lol. And by this i mean the fact that, when a female channels its just white mystic swirly energy and black for males as its tainted. I get it, cool. Now i know it may have been harder to portray it more elementally as it is in the books but it annoys me not being able to see weaves of fire, air, earth, water and spirit.

I do love the show haha, just venting my frustrations.

IMHO some folks on these boards are being overly nitpicky - just my perception, we all have things we find more important than others - and other folks seem to be bending over backwards to justify sloppy writing.

The Logain “like a raging sun” comment was sloppy writing. I mean, it sounded cool, but it deviates from the lore. Maybe he saw something, sure. He saw a bunch of people getting healed, and maybe Nyn even visually lit up the cave (like they do in an operating room!) but we all know “the raging sun” and the emotional way Logain said it, as a channeler himself, was prompted by him seeing the magnitude of Nyn’s channeling. We know this because there were several examples of this reaction in the books, except not in lore-breaking ways.

I get it, people want this show to be as real as possible, so they want to find ways to make the lore consistent. But the writers messed this one up. Doesn’t really bother me - I actually find the defense of the screw up funnier than I find the mistake irritating. 

I agree we all have nitpickey stuff. But that is just a natural state for people I think. For example, I really didn't notice how bad the battle scene was.... just wasn't something that stood out to me. However in epsiode 4 when everyone is sitting around the fire my first thought was..... "Cuddly warders? Really?"   Didn't find sexy time weird (though everyone was supposed to be tired but whatever) but the fact that the warders described in the books casually cuddled in public.... lol it was weird to me. Did it ruin the show? No. Am I necessarily complaining?  No. Nitpicky? Yes. 

But it is something I noticed that took me out of the moment. 

PS. Please notice I said "cuddly" warders and not "gay" warders. Have zero issue with queer warders. So no yelling at me ?.

1 hour ago, Beidomon said:

The Logain “like a raging sun” comment was sloppy writing. I mean, it sounded cool, but it deviates from the lore. Maybe he saw something, sure. He saw a bunch of people getting healed, and maybe Nyn even visually lit up the cave (like they do in an operating room!) but we all know “the raging sun” and the emotional way Logain said it, as a channeler himself, was prompted by him seeing the magnitude of Nyn’s channeling. We know this because there were several examples of this reaction in the books, except not in lore-breaking ways.

I still posit this comes from lack of understanding.  Aes Sedai have some pretty set ideas about how much strength any given ability takes.  Logain has even less understanding than them.  Nynaeve is a prodigy healer who does things in weird ways with all powers.  

She just healed 12+ mortal injuries in a radius without physical contact.  Something the sisters would see as borderline impossible.  On top of that he can't see the weaving to see that she's doing something odd.  So from his perspective she just used overwhelming force when in reality she just used more finesse and control.

44 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

*Note* Even the Dark One likes cuddles.

Come now, Caddy... we have zero evidence of that from the books.  Greandel?  Sure.  Lanfear? Likely.  Many other male forsaken? Yes. (although ALL of them in very creepy ways).

But the Dark One, all evidence points to the contrary.  I'm thinking of Demandred's visit to the Pit of Doom.

21 hours ago, Rand the Plumber said:

And they had better cast her perfectly, or I will be overturning tables and stomping about in a foul temper. 

Hide contents

Verin

happens to be my favourite character from the books.

And let’s not forget it is 

Spoiler

Elaida

pulling the strings on it all from the White Tower. Another character I hope they get right.