DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Expectations for Combat in the series

KakitaOCU

14 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

I am expecting the battle scenes to be bigger than a few people fighting in a forest.

Will be interesting to see how they do them on screen.

After 5 episodes my expectations are rather low, below what I expected as a minimum. I wish it wasn't but it is. So far in 5 episodes less has happened than what you would see in a 90 minute cinema release.

Do you know, @DaddyFinn that after S1 of GoT I was completely like 'Im never watching this shit again!'. And then I did anyway, because s2, 3, 4, 5 etc were pretty entertaining for my second favourite book series.

I am sure as jingle bells not going to give up on WoT before the battles actually begin to come in. We know we have so much to look forward to!

Also, I am certainly expecting more from WoT than what GoT ever gave us. I need it to be its own world, with its own standard. I am happy it is not trying to clone GoT.

2 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

Do you know, @DaddyFinn that after S1 of GoT I was completely like 'Im never watching this shit again!'. And then I did anyway, because s2, 3, 4, 5 etc were pretty entertaining for my second favourite book series.

I am sure as jingle bells not going to give up on WoT before the battles actually begin to come in. We know we have so much to look forward to!

Also, I am certainly expecting more from WoT than what GoT ever gave us. I need it to be its own world, with its own standard. I am happy it is not trying to clone GoT.

I quit during S5 I think. It got so boring ? Never watched again.

I wasn't expecting real world realism from battles/fights - but realism from the perspective of the universe.

I loved the light sabre battles with Darth Maul in Phantom Menace (about the only thing to like about the movie).  Not realistic irl, but I thought excellent for those using the Force.

I loved the sword fights in Rob Roy and the battles in Braveheart.  Don't know how realistic either of them were.  But I thought they were well choreographed and looked awesome/realistic to me.

Didn't expect much from a fight between trollocs and random villagers in episode 1.  Imagine trollocs are about brute force and don't actually drill.  Villagers might have some skill with bow and staff (based on the books) but I can see them crumbling before the brute onslaught of monsters from legend.

But warders fighting soldiers with some battle experience - I expected much more.  Sorely disappointed.

2 hours ago, grayavatar said:

You made me think of the battle in GoT where Jon Snow's army got surrounded by the shields and were trapped. The battle was awkward and uncomfortable to watch. It made me feel claustrophobic even, but at least it made me feel something.

With WoT even when people die I barely feel invested in any character. I did like how Logain wept when he got gentled it was a nice touch. I saw an Aes Sedai get shot with arrows and mentally shrugged not knowing who she was or if she will survive, I think she was a green, what about her warders. Who cares she's an extra, lets focus on Stepin instead.

She was red and she didn't die she was Healed

37 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

Logain army fight was soooo bad

The glimpse of Thom/Fade duel was very well executed and left me wanting more

Well, that kinda proves my point. The Warder/Army fight was so early in the season, between two not-quite-up-to-scratch 'forces' so the encounter (it was not really a battle, right ...) was low key.

I do expect every encounter/fight/battle to be more exciting, because we will have more at stake and will be more invested in each one. That's it ?

2 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

Well, that kinda proves my point. The Warder/Army fight was so early in the season, between two not-quite-up-to-scratch 'forces' so the encounter (it was not really a battle, right ...) was low key.

I do expect every encounter/fight/battle to be more exciting, because we will have more at stake and will be more invested in each one. That's it ?

I can understand that large-scale Battles are difficult but i hope to see big improvements. And hope we will get the Falme duel in a nice fashion.

14 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

A person with a heron marked sword is supposed to be an immense threat.

Rand entering the presence of Morgase went from a perceived country bumpkin by her guards, to such a threat, so much so they thought they'd die in a futile attempt trying to protect her.

Rand keeps the sword under his coat so it's not very noticeable

4 hours ago, Daenelia said:

I could deal with the numbers in the battle - limited number of Warders based on Aes Sedai mix and the remnants of Logain's army.  My problem was the choreography.  As someone else pointed out, looked like a bunch of folks from SCA/LARP had a few beers and someone said, "I have a cool idea for a battle!".

It's as if the actors have had no weapons training.  Just given a warning to be careful and have fun.

And the remnant of Logain's army could have been bigger as well - to showcase how awesome a handful of Warders and Aes Sedai actually are.  There was not much excitement in that battle for me.

Edited by DojoToad

1 hour ago, Gothic Flame said:

A person with a heron marked sword is supposed to be an immense threat.

Rand entering the presence of Morgase went from a perceived country bumpkin by her guards, to such a threat, so much so they thought they'd die in a futile attempt trying to protect her.

Absolutely, the tension was palpable in the book.  Imagine what they could do with actors.

i want the battles to be realistic enough to keep suspension of disbelief. which means no wide moves that leave you open for a strike, mostly. if they show the mooks trying to do something rather than lining up one at a time to be killed, it would be a boon. and for large scale battles, i want to see battle formations used competently.

tam fight was a good one, well portrayed. lan in emond field, too. and thom against the myrdraal, i liked how thom's attacks all came at different directions. the battle, yeah, not much to look at; it wasn't even a real battle. i hope in later seasons they have the budget to make real battles.

• Community Administrator
52 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i want the battles to be realistic enough to keep suspension of disbelief. which means no wide moves that leave you open for a strike, mostly. if they show the mooks trying to do something rather than lining up one at a time to be killed, it would be a boon. and for large scale battles, i want to see battle formations used competently.

100% agree.

I bring it up a lot but... What made me stop watching "The Sword of Truth" series was Richard constantly jumping down from highground (or even just jumping off of flat ground!) to overhead chop at the enemy... Like... it's one thing if they don't see you... but they did, they saw it coming. If someone's jumping from a high place, and you see them.... you step to the side, then stab them in the kidney.

2 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

100% agree.

I bring it up a lot but... What made me stop watching "The Sword of Truth" series was Richard constantly jumping down from highground (or even just jumping off of flat ground!) to overhead chop at the enemy... Like... it's one thing if they don't see you... but they did, they saw it coming. If someone's jumping from a high place, and you see them.... you step to the side, then stab them in the kidney.

Just look at Anakin ?