DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Accepting the Adaptation

carr1934

17 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

So you have no hope for an improvement in episode 4

To the contrary, I am fully on board at this point. I liked E2 and loved E3. I feel like the show is on the right trajectory and am looking forward to the remainder of the season.

The feel of E1-3 trends towards the better.  On repeated viewing (after the initial shock wears off) my hopes have grown for the rest of the seasons.  We all knew going in, that this would not be the same movie we viewed in our heads and while I still cannot reconcile the massive and unnecessary changes, we can only hope that a different director or epiphany rights the ship.  

The criticisms show that we ALL want this to be the story we love in all aspects and I can only suggest to continue forward and find the story where it exists. I have begun to enjoy the episodes and look forward to the next hoping that the powers-that-be began to truly understand the story that is being told.  

I have lived through many stalwart fantasy series that were adapted and failed.  Either those were graphics limitations or poor producers, but after viewing 20-30 yrs later they are amazing in their own right.  From Dune to Flash Gordon the cheesiness of the 70s/80s makes it that much more true to the story while the nostalgia of the attempts at an epic before it's time make it an icon.

And while those will live on in nostalgia, the Wheel has turned and others have risen to the task to produce great renditions of those epics we love.

We have a Wheel of Time series!!!!!  Don't abandon the process now, so early in the journey.  This will only grow from here.

It's not THE WOT Series, but A WOT Series   There are no beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel

4 hours ago, Deadsy said:

On Amazon it’s now 57% 5-star and 26% 1-star. At one time it was 29% 1-star. 

Hopefully when all 8 episodes are out it will have a more favorable rating overall. From what I’ve heard the episodes get better and better. 

i think the noise will filter out after the initial shock. I have also heard they keep getting better. So fingers crossed.

19 minutes ago, Ryan al'Thor said:

i think the noise will filter out after the initial shock. I have also heard they keep getting better. So fingers crossed.

On IMDB atm it is pretty favorable - over 70% of voters have given at least a 6/10 for Ep1 with an overall rating of 7.6 (that has slowly been climbing as it was below 7 a day or so ago).

Episode 2 has a 91% percentage of people who voted 6 or higher. Its overall rating is currently 8.2

Episode 3 has a 91% percentage of people who voted 6 or higher.  Its overall rating is currently 8.1

Amazon 3 star raters are all folks like me : not wanting to condemn and bomb, but cannot really like. Aaargh, I just wish Tony McNamara's clone was writing for this show. I am Russian, The Great has nothing in common with actual history, it is progressive as frogs are jumpy and green, and yet it is really amazing and loveable somehow...

Apologies in advance for this ramble.

Like most I was aware of the WOT being adapted to a tv series - and was excited.   However I did not pay too much attention over the past few years like many.   I wish I had - not only would I have discovered Dragonmount sooner, but all the fun & enjoyable content out there - on YT, twitter, podcasts & so forth.  And had a better idea of how the adaptation was going.

Anyways I will try not to re-hash or be preachy but I do have a realisation for myself that came from a lot of different sources over the past few weeks as I re-immersed myself into WOT.

I do not think I need to go into the difference in medium and how a book cannot be adapted 100% - we pretty much all know this - we simply have different ideas of what does & does not work, and how much needs to be adapted for it to work.  Basically a debate over what constitutes the spirit vs the letter of the law.

Further, the WOT is not completely all Robert Jordan.   Part of it is his editor & wife, part of it is Brandon Sanderson, and part of it is all the other people who have been involved over the years - beta readers, publisher, and so forth.   There was a really nice comment on a Dragonmount podcast about how each of our interpretations is like a drop of water, but the combined collective is an ocean.   For those that want to travel this (television) ocean with others, that ship/boat is now being steered by Rafe & the amazing people who work with him.

That in no way takes away from our own individual interpretation of WOT.  

I would like to end off with a thought on a scene from Episode 1.

Nynaeve tosses Egwene into the river.  I've talked about this leap of faith.   And how I will need to take a leap of faith with the show much like with the books previously.   But that scene adds to me another reminder - about not just having faith but also about acceptance/struggling.   

When Egwene struggles she comes close to drowning - but once she surrenders herself & trusts the river ...   Basically I believe that as long as I accept that the showrunner & crew interpretation will be true to WOT - even if their interpretation differs from mine - then it is going to be exactly like Egwene on the river.  Her acceptance on the river starts her opening up to a whole new possible world(s).

Accepting that the shows interpretation of the WOT will be true to the heart and accepting that the changes will work, even those I do not really like, allows for a much better result for me.   

Edited by ArrylT

6 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

Apologies in advance for this ramble.

Like most I was aware of the WOT being adapted to a tv series - and was excited.   However I did not pay too much attention over the past few years like many.   I wish I had - not only would I have discovered Dragonmount sooner, but all the fun & enjoyable content out there - on YT, twitter, podcasts & so forth.  And had a better idea of how the adaptation was going.

Anyways I will try not to re-hash or be preachy but I do have a realisation for myself that came from a lot of different sources over the past few weeks as I re-immersed myself into WOT.

I do not think I need to go into the difference in medium and how a book cannot be adapted 100% - we pretty much all know this - we simply have different ideas of what does & does not work, and how much needs to be adapted for it to work.  Basically a debate over what constitutes the spirit vs the letter of the law.

Further, the WOT is not completely all Robert Jordan.   Part of it is his editor & wife, part of it is Brandon Sanderson, and part of it is all the other people who have been involved over the years - beta readers, publisher, and so forth.   There was a really nice comment on a Dragonmount podcast about how each of our interpretations is like a drop of water, but the combined collective is an ocean.   For those that want to travel this (television) ocean with others, that ship/boat is now being steered by Rafe & the amazing people who work with him.

That in no way takes away from our own individual interpretation of WOT.  

I would like to end off with a thought on a scene from Episode 1.

Nynaeve tosses Egwene into the river.  I've talked about this leap of faith.   And how I will need to take a leap of faith with the show much like with the books previously.   But that scene adds to me another reminder - about not just having faith but also about acceptance/struggling.   

When Egwene struggles she comes close to drowning - but once she surrenders herself & trusts the river ...   Basically I believe that as long as I accept that the showrunner & crew interpretation will be true to WOT - even if their interpretation differs from mine - then it is going to be exactly like Egwene on the river.  Her acceptance on the river starts her opening up to a whole new possible world(s).

Accepting that the shows interpretation of the WOT will be true to the heart and accepting that the changes will work, even those I do not really like, allows for a much better result for me.   

Being male - I fight to master saidin.  I do not surrender to saidar.

That's how I'm built.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:50 PM, JaimAybara said:
  Hide contents

I will concede on this point to you if it happens. But I also think it creates issues beyond it too. It forces him to draw the blade or partially draw it every time to reveal what it is. This will potentially mess with the throne room, as well as any other conflicts involving it. As for your suggestion, it’s possible, but again to me over complicates things as opposed to streamlining it. And I thought every change was supposed to be “intentional” to make the story work better. Yes the brand is the prophesy not the mark on the hilt itself I wasn’t suggesting otherwise, it just seems like a fruitless change to me. Now… what would really be cool is if there still is a mark beneath the wraps of the hilt that burn away—that to me would be an epic change and reveal. I’d be straight gobsmacked. 

Spoiler

I am hoping Tam had the hilt covered and the Heron mark will be revealed there later. Or they will rely on some magical means to have him branded by the mark.  ? 

3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

That's how I'm built.

Fair enough.  

I think we all have our own journeys and ways to travel.   

Ironically enough, I was one of those who was thrown into a pool really early on on how to learn to swim.

Edited by ArrylT
additional thoughts

18 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

That's how I'm built.

But you don't live in a world where there is saidin or saidar. We have a multitude fo ways to deal with life and you can choose what suits you, or what the situation calls for.

I think sometimes surrendering can be the hardest fight of all. And fighting can be the easiest way to get defeated.

(I am just really really hoping you get to enjoy it all a little bit more! I don't want you to feel cheated out of a great experience of WoT on tv.)

13 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

But you don't live in a world where there is saidin or saidar. We have a multitude fo ways to deal with life and you can choose what suits you, or what the situation calls for.

I think sometimes surrendering can be the hardest fight of all. And fighting can be the easiest way to get defeated.

(I am just really really hoping you get to enjoy it all a little bit more! I don't want you to feel cheated out of a great experience of WoT on tv.)

Was just responding to a book reference with same.  Trying to have fun.

At least I know why I can 't heat my bath using the One Power now. ?

• Community Administrator
3 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Was just responding to a book reference with same.  Trying to have fun.

At least I know why I can 't heat my bath using the One Power now. ?

There are other ways to heat a bath up, it just changes the color of the water. o_O

23 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Because that is not what it is.  Just another short cut for covering unpopular changes.

Unpopular with whom?

If it's just book readers, we need to take that into consideration however if we find non-readers saying the changes didn't sit right with them either, it paints an entirely new picture.

4 minutes ago, AshennaSedai said:

Unpopular with whom?

If it's just book readers, we need to take that into consideration however if we find non-readers saying the changes didn't sit right with them either, it paints an entirely new picture.

Unpopular with book readers - otherwise there are no changes to complain about, yes?

Another turning of the wheel was addressed specifically to book readers before the show premiered.

2 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Unpopular with book readers - otherwise there are no changes to complain about, yes?

Another turning of the wheel was addressed specifically to book readers before the show premiered.

Yep, I just thought it best to point out that these paint very different pictures. For me, when something adapts a favorite series of mine, I want it to be "in the spirit" but it doesn't need to be a page by page adaptation to make me happy.

Other readers want that page by page adaptation. They're both very valid wants.

I like looking at the big picture. You also have the idea of the fact that if you're looking at public forums and social media, sometimes the negative voices seem louder because they're actually talking about it whereas people who have a favorable opinion do not always voice as such.