DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Show ROCKS!!!!!

WalterKohl

26 minutes ago, mogi68 said:

I was underwhelmed on the first viewing. Second time around I enjoyed a lot more and picked up a few things that I missed

1. The shadow moving across the doorway in Shadar Logoth. Holy shit that was creepy

2. Padan Fain's whistling

3. The stone dog on the fallen Aiel. I couldn't make it at first

4. Mat saying "I don't even know who Manetheren is" ?

I want to watch the first three again even though I've complained a lot. There must be something wrong with me ? Really looking forward to Episode 4!

I watched all three episodes twice.  Not going back to them unless episodes 4 and 5 are a big step up.  There are definitely good parts to the show - but they don't eliminate the bad.

Edited by DojoToad

I agree with the title of this thread: It ROCKS!

I agree with most of the positive takes on here and like the way they used the river when Egwene was pushed in - Nynaeve: Trust the river.  Egwene struggles and has a hard time of it until she surrenders and then it gets quite and calm.  Kind of like using a hammer to make the point but I think it will be used well in later episodes especially for those that have not read the books.

I think some of the issues with the quality are related to comparing this to the fully realized vision of GoT,  When it first launched, the reviews were less than stellar and many much harsher than those for WoT

I am confident given Time, this series will be looked back on as much better than GoT and will come into its own.  I think about some of the upcoming twists and turns and think they will be real home runs.

Even though this is the positive thread, I can not let the character assassination that was perpetrated upon Perrin go without comment: It is a real travesty what they have done - it does not ruin the show but book Perrin does not exist and I do not believe ever will.  RIP Book Perrin.  He is my favorite in the books and it is sad he is not being included in the show - but, the series will still be good - just a bit different. 

And there is the possibility I am wrong and they will pull off a miracle and bring Book Perrin into the show.

Moiraine blasting those trollocs in ep. 1 was just SO FUN, highlight of all the episodes so far for me. Usually I prefer things to be subtle but occasionally more is more. Given that she's not even that strong in the power, makes me really excited for future big channeling moments...including Rand later this season!

Liking most of the acting so far, feel like they are doing the best with the dialogue which is sometimes spotty. Sometimes it feels a bit like the Harry Potter movies, where the young actors are doing their very best most serious Acting with a capitol A, but the more seasoned ones (mainly Moiraine and Lan so far, but also Padan Fain and Valda) are clearly having a grand old time on set and it's so fun to watch. Lan & Moiraine on their travels is the buddy roadtrip movie I didn't know I needed.

9 minutes ago, jeffreycwagner said:

I agree with the title of this thread: It ROCKS!

I agree with most of the positive takes on here and like the way they used the river when Egwene was pushed in - Nynaeve: Trust the river.  Egwene struggles and has a hard time of it until she surrenders and then it gets quite and calm.  Kind of like using a hammer to make the point but I think it will be used well in later episodes especially for those that have not read the books.

I think some of the issues with the quality are related to comparing this to the fully realized vision of GoT,  When it first launched, the reviews were less than stellar and many much harsher than those for WoT

I am confident given Time, this series will be looked back on as much better than GoT and will come into its own.  I think about some of the upcoming twists and turns and think they will be real home runs.

Even though this is the positive thread, I can not let the character assassination that was perpetrated upon Perrin go without comment: It is a real travesty what they have done - it does not ruin the show but book Perrin does not exist and I do not believe ever will.  RIP Book Perrin.  He is my favorite in the books and it is sad he is not being included in the show - but, the series will still be good - just a bit different. 

And there is the possibility I am wrong and they will pull off a miracle and bring Book Perrin into the show.

I am always hopeful in all things and trust in the "Wheel" to weave as it wills.   After a 2nd, less purist, view I am even more hopeful on the future episodes and especially the growth of the world.  The upcoming palace and Tower intrigue are the aspects of the story that will translate well to the visual medium and seeing the symbolism I missed in the first viewing rather prevalent I am getting more and more excited.  

Get ready for the Ways and Ogier education for the party (and audience) of the wider world outside of the Two Rivers

The assassination of Perrin (perennial fan favorite) will create a different wolf/falcon dynamic and (while always hopeful) it will be VERY difficult to illustrate the true love and conflict of their relationship in the Saldean style.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills

Still cannot brace myself to re-watch. I will watch the next episode when it drops and then decide if I will continue. For now the whole lot of mental erasing of the pilot is still being done in my head and I do not what some of that stuff to ever imprint on my memories of the story. But yeah... not hating it, just dubious. Wish I could love it.

I enjoyed many things.  Moirraines angreal, the dana scene, talk of Manetheren, the Mashiara song, Rand already fighting with Moiraine, Egwene learning from Moiraine, the scenery, Lan being able to sense the shadow, the wolves (Prefer real to CGI), lots of casual references to other parts of wot lore such as ogier, Mats escaping responsibility, and more.

So I love that we have a show.  Hopefully they can space out the action a little better because some of this is just moving way too fast and losing dramatic effect.  That and the action scenes, especially with trollocs, are too fast and blurry for me to fully appreciate..  

Not my thread, but can I respectfully ask concerns and criticisms be left out of here? There are many other threads for those discussions. If you have things you like and things you don't, this is the place to talk about the former, no need to mention the latter.

One more from me: Rosamund's acting as Moiraine slowly succumbs to her wound. She does such a great job of portraying someone pushing through severe pain and fatigue to stay strong and positive.

rewatching, i'm also very appreciating thom.

first, he's introduced as a good performer, and the actor certainly is.

then he's shown out-pickpocketing a pickpocket

and then he conjures a knife with sleight of hand

he can tell mat's history from his accent and dress

his willingness to bury the aiel, but also to let mat loot the body, feels like something the thom from the books may have agreed to.

and they did a hell of a job introducing all that stuff about him in less than five minutes.

i'm just sad they only introduced him in episode 3; we'll get less time with him. i hope it will be a while before the "RUN" scene

10 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

and they did a hell of a job introducing all that stuff about him in less than five minutes.

i'm just sad they only introduced him in episode 3; we'll get less time with him. i hope it will be a while before the "RUN" scene

The run scene is what I am really excited about.  This is when the ominous presence of Darkfriends everywhere, who do you trust sets in

21 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

That and the action scenes, especially with trollocs, are too fast and blurry for me to fully appreciate..  

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or was it less 'fast and blurry shaky cam' when it was Lan and Moiraine fighting vs the villagers?

If it gets less blurry as the EF5 get more and more confident, that would be an interesting way to show them grow.

There are quite a few people who think the show ‘rocks’ … many 10/10 ratings on RT.

The flip side is that quite a few hate it. 

My hope is that enough people love it enough to keep it going but that the showrunner will listen to criticism and adapt the show to make it better in the next season. 
At this moment I can’t see anything more being Green lit beyond what already has, which I believe is three seasons.

22 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Rosamund was so good at changing her character when they met the Whitecloaks. Especially the part when she told about the wound and trolloc attack

Yes!  Plus I loved that nod to Mistress Alys.

I thought her monologue on horseback was epic.  4 minutes and her facial expressions were spot on at all the key moments.   The other actors said they were truly enthralled by her while the scene was being filmed.   

Her flash of a smile as she mentions Manetheren as a thorn ?

2 hours ago, Maximillion said:

There are quite a few people who think the show ‘rocks’ … many 10/10 ratings on RT.

My hope is that enough people love it enough to keep it going but that the showrunner will listen to criticism and adapt the show to make it better in the next season. 
At this moment I can’t see anything more being Green lit beyond what already has, which I believe is three seasons.

Maybe you are right and the show gets cancelled after 3 seasons.  I guess we will have to wait for viewership numbers.  Hopefully the show builds up.  

However, some people are saying that Lord of the Rings will take away all the resources and budget away from WOT.  That definitely isn't true as these companies have the money for multiple hit franchises.  look at disney plus and mandalorian and all the different marvel shows.  Honestly I think the Lord of the Rings may actually be worse because the source material isn't as strong as WOT.  Tolkien's best books were already mined in my opinion.

If WOT can continue to build and attract audience and they still keep the plot of Jorsan in tact enough I'm hoping  for the full 8 seasons.

Amazon has rescued other TV shows such as the the Expanse, so I'm hoping they have the patience and vision to go for the longterm, unlike Netflix.

Many of these shows build a library of content that can be accessed for years.  The benefits are not always immediate.  Hopefully Amazon understands the necessity of having finished content in its library.  If they don't screw this up it can be a content driver for years, and it could experience late growth as they iron out all the hiccups.  

The casting and acting. Boy, that's a fine group of actors they picked!  They all are great. I can't pick my favorite cause I think all the main characters are smashing it!  I can't wait to see Siuan and Logain - both my favs that have SO much narrative potential, and I've heard amazing reports about the performances of both these actors.

3 hours ago, Maximillion said:

Most of the people who hate it enough to give it 1 star are book readers. For the show to be a success it will have to rely on non-book readers anyway. If they like it enough to keep watching, then it'll keep going, and those 1-star reviews of the 1st season will likely not carry over to season 2.

2 hours ago, ArrylT said:

Yes!  Plus I loved that nod to Mistress Alys.

I thought her monologue on horseback was epic.  4 minutes and her facial expressions were spot on at all the key moments.   The other actors said they were truly enthralled by her while the scene was being filmed.   

Her flash of a smile as she mentions Manetheren as a thorn ?

All the while showing she is suffering from the Trolloc wound. I've already mentioned it, but the layers to her acting in the episode were phenomenal.

36 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Honestly I think the Lord of the Rings may actually be worse because the source material isn't as strong as WOT.  Tolkien's best books were already mined in my opinion.

+1 on that. while i definitely plan on watching it, i doubt i will like it too much. and while tolkien started the modern fantasy genre, other authors, jordan among them, improved on his vision.

8 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

Most of the people who hate it enough to give it 1 star are book readers. For the show to be a success it will have to rely on non-book readers anyway. If they like it enough to keep watching, then it'll keep going, and those 1-star reviews of the 1st season will likely not carry over to season 2.

and we already have pretty good indication that non-book-fans liked it more than book fans. wot has a lot of potential once it starts spreading.

Loved the banter between Rand and Mat in episode three.

From memory so not 100% accurate.

R: Mat, the man who once walked while a little chilly.

M: You're funny now! That's a new wrinkle.

R: All roads lead to Tar Valon.

M: That's not how roads work.

R: Come on, we'll take turns.

M: Do you think she'll be up for it?

Edited by Kudzu

5 hours ago, Deadsy said:

I'm completely over LotR. I will only watch it if it gets rave reviews.

I kinda feel the same way.  Like LotR film trilogy is in my top 3 favourite movies of all time.  They were bloody amazing.  I read the books when I was in grade school and loved them as well,  but I just can't seem to get excited for the idea of the series.