DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

14 hours ago, Deadsy said:

There weren't really spoilers but people were not allowed to review it before Wednesday. I thought maybe Tor was an exception.

https://web.archive.org/web/20211110183848/https://www.tor.com/2021/11/10/ive-seen-the-first-three-episodes-of-the-wheel-of-time-heres-why-youre-going-to-love-it/

Do do do do doooooo

https://www.boston.com/culture/movies/2016/03/22/the-early-fan-reviews-for-batman-v-superman-are-in-and-theyre-very-good/

Also, a friendly reminder that early reviews (especially audience reviews) tend to be... eh... somewhat unreliable. This is access media, after all.  

Edited by swollymammoth

1 hour ago, mogi68 said:

I regret giving them a click. One of the laziest written things I've read all year!

1 hour ago, CaddySedai said:

Another Critic being Critical for the sake of Criticality ?

Agreed. Reflexively, "fashionably" derisive. And inaccurate:

If, for instance, you’re the sort of clever girl who can “listen to the wind” – no, not a reference to the conjugal bed – then you’re allowed to wear your hair in a plait.

4 minutes ago, Mnemosyne said:

Agreed. Reflexively, "fashionably" derisive. And inaccurate:

If, for instance, you’re the sort of clever girl who can “listen to the wind” – no, not a reference to the conjugal bed – then you’re allowed to wear your hair in a plait.

Its a review of a person who knows nothing about the series. 

3 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

It has to be liked by people who know nothing about the series. But the article is trash.

True. But you can feel they went in openly hostile.

Green trees? Mountains? How dare you be just like LOTR!

I'm surprised they didn't say "Listening to the Wind" Way to rip off Pocahontas Rafe. ?

5 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

It has to be liked by people who know nothing about the series. But the article is trash.

Yeah, the guy was way too dismissive. However, the one part that did cause me some concern was where he related the bath scene between Moiraine and Lan. He criticized the dialogue (and if the scene plays out like he described, I think that would be fair). That sort of cliche dialogue is exactly what we saw between Rand and Perrin in the Winespring Inn clip, so it does make me a little concerned. 

I'm hoping that this is just a guy who's just not very forgiving of fantasy dialogue (which can often seem stilted, weird, and unnatural to newcomers). Can't wait until we can actually talk about the show. 

5 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

bath scene between Moiraine and Lan. He criticized the dialogue (and if the scene plays out like he described, I think that would be fair).

Honestly, It neither felt like dialogue I could be critical of either way. It actually prompted a chuckle from our theater. 

It depends I think on how you read Lan's character. Is he just stoic and matter of fact. Or is he secretly got a ton of dry humor draped under the façade of a warder like their cloaks?

I've always read Lan in the second light so to me it was a moment that prompted a chuckle. Was nicely put since my brain was dealing with all the skin in the scene (No not GoT skin - not even close.)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/16/22785109/amazon-wheel-of-time-tv-show-review-rosamund-pike-game-of-thrones

"The Wheel of Time is also a much grimmer show than its source material, having excised nearly all the levity and humor in an effort to be more mature, to its detriment.

And that’s a big part of The Wheel of Time’s problem. It spends too much time trying to be Game of Thrones, even as it tells a very different kind of story. Game of Thrones reveled in its darker world, characters, and the machinations to try and seize power. The Wheel of Time, on the other hand, doesn’t have the games, and it doesn’t have the throne. There are few, if any, grey areas; the big bad of the world is literally “The Dark One,” served by his army of bestial, unthinking Trollocs (think orcs, crossed variously with wolves, bears, and boars) who literally eat people." 

If this ends up being a common complaint, then I could see it as something that is adjusted in the later seasons as the writers begin to feel more comfortable telling Wheel of Time rather than trying to replicate the success of another, totally different story. 

I'm reading every review I can as they come out. Kinda seems like most of the reception is lukewarm. 

9 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/16/22785109/amazon-wheel-of-time-tv-show-review-rosamund-pike-game-of-thrones

"The Wheel of Time is also a much grimmer show than its source material, having excised nearly all the levity and humor in an effort to be more mature, to its detriment.

And that’s a big part of The Wheel of Time’s problem. It spends too much time trying to be Game of Thrones, even as it tells a very different kind of story. Game of Thrones reveled in its darker world, characters, and the machinations to try and seize power. The Wheel of Time, on the other hand, doesn’t have the games, and it doesn’t have the throne. There are few, if any, grey areas; the big bad of the world is literally “The Dark One,” served by his army of bestial, unthinking Trollocs (think orcs, crossed variously with wolves, bears, and boars) who literally eat people." 

If this ends up being a common complaint, then I could see it as something that is adjusted in the later seasons as the writers begin to feel more comfortable telling Wheel of Time rather than trying to replicate the success of another, totally different story. 

I'm reading every review I can as they come out. Kinda seems like most of the reception is lukewarm. 

Its certainly not a comedy central special, but they do have levity. Obv some had to be deleted because as if now some scenes are cut. 

I dont disagree it has shed a ton but but if I was a "fact checker" I'd rate this Mostly False, based on lack of context.

Though it is definitely more grim early on. It has a ton of the later books' vibe right away... as WoT started off light then shifted - they get pretty dang dark later on ?

Edited by CaddySedai

I will point out GOT received a lot of subpar reviews early on, too. I laughed seeing all these papers that were highly critical of GOT for seasons 1 to 3 start jumping on the hype train for the later seasons.

I'm not excusing any negative press WOT gets, but that was a legitimate observation I had back from 2011 on, just food for thought.

7 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

That, honestly, seems to be a rather lazy bit of criticism. 

Truthfully, I'd be more concerned if critics liked it too much and too soon than if they spend a lot of time comparing it to GOT.

8 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

Ok so I wonder if this reviewer has read WoT.  The politics and war in WoT are at least on par with GoT show.  Hopefully the perception of what is in book series doesn't leak into crap reviews out of misunderstanding.

1 minute ago, Agitel said:

I will point out GOT received a lot of subpar reviews early on, too. I laughed seeing all these papers that were highly critical of GOT for seasons 1 to 3 start jumping on the hype train for the later seasons.

I'm not excusing any negative press WOT gets, but that was a legitimate observation I had back from 2011 on, just food for thought.

And to be fair who CARES what critics think. 

Critics don't count in viewership numbers. Critics don't preach gospel and as you point out are flat wrong then jump on when they realize their view is minority lol.

Its going to be audience scoring and viewership that will determine success.

5 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

It has a ton of the later books' vibe right away... as WoT started off light then shifted - they get pretty dang dark later on

I seem to remember voicing a concern similar to this shortly after I jumped onto the forum. That the showrunners wouldn't trust the early books and would try to shoehorn in elements from the later books. For me, this isn't a great sign. 

This excerpt from the Polygon review is a good sign though, at least for me. 

"But Judkins retains Jordan’s commitment to the innocence of these characters. Our core cast of young people: Nynaeve, Egwene, Rand, Mat, and Perrin, have all only ever known their small village, and they’re thrust into this adventure. Judkins really allows them to be as wide-eyed and terrified and excited and brave as they want to be, arguably one of the most important aspects of the books, and done to fine effect here." 

14 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

From that same article:

When The Wheel of Time does fire on all cylinders, it’s proof that it might actually be possible to fit the book into a coherent TV show.

Tbh I do want WoT to be boldly what it is. GoT wasn't that interesting for me.

4 minutes ago, swollymammoth said:

I seem to remember voicing a concern similar to this shortly after I jumped onto the forum. That the showrunners wouldn't trust the early books and would try to shoehorn in elements from the later books. For me, this isn't a great sign. 

"But Judkins retains Jordan’s commitment to the innocence of these characters. Our core cast of young people: Nynaeve, Egwene, Rand, Mat, and Perrin, have all only ever known their small village, and they’re thrust into this adventure. Judkins really allows them to be as wide-eyed and terrified and excited and brave as they want to be, arguably one of the most important aspects of the books, and done to fine effect here." 

Agree. Its actually a blend. I think they trust the characters infinitely more than the world. Though to me it works. The vibe in the TR seems idyllic. The rest of the world is...having an issue (you know...trollocs n such lol).

I think we will know WAY more the vibe when we encounter places with more people. Towns and cities.

Edited by CaddySedai

1 minute ago, swollymammoth said:

This show will rise or fall through the characters relationships. The interviews from the actors by WoT fans made me really optimistic.  You could set that group together at a pizza buffet for 2 hours and just film it and it would be entertaining.  

1 minute ago, DaddyFinn said:

From that same article:

Tbh I do want WoT to be boldly what it is. GoT wasn't that interesting for me.

I think you will enjoy it. Its not a perfect adaptation. But its a dang good fantasy series - through two. ?

We shall learn more soon.

5 minutes ago, Guire said:

Ok so I wonder if this reviewer has read WoT.  The politics and war in WoT are at least on par with GoT show.  Hopefully the perception of what is in book series doesn't leak into crap reviews out of misunderstanding.

I would dare to say that 90% of those professional critics who review WOT as a tv series will not have read the books.  The 10% that may have will have read/skimmed only a subset of them.

9 minutes ago, Guire said:

They claim to have read WoT but it doesn't seem like it, given the paragraph where they're completely wrong. It's the type of comment I would expect and understand from a non-reader, because you don't see houses, thrones, or gray evil in the first 2-3 episodes, and not a lot of it in season 1. But a reader would know you get a lot of it in the series.

1 minute ago, CaddySedai said:

I think you will enjoy it. Its not a perfect adaptation. But its a dang good fantasy series - through two. ?

We shall learn more soon.

I'll just have to avoid thinking how things "should be" and how I would do them. I have a bad habit of picking out illogicalities in movies and TV and get annoyed with bad and lazy writing. I'm not saying I could do anything better than the professionals but can't help myself.