DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

2 hours ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

Meanwhile episode 8 was almost universally panned as subpar, so again, how many will be back? 

I note you didn't reply to my other post.  Silence implies consent?

2 hours ago, EmreY said:

You know you're going to be watching if only to say how much you hated it. ? 

We Rafefriends on this forum meet up (anonymously, on another channel) at the start of every month to discuss a strategy on just how to comment so that you and others like you will be enticed back.

You know you want to.

Edited by EmreY

On 1/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, Cauthonfan4 said:

But the trend lately has been that fantasy adaptations that stick to the source do extremely well, and those that deviate suffer.

??? confused by this, the Witcher has thrown the source material out in a far bigger way than WOT has. I have not read the expanse but a friend of mine while loving the TV show has told me that it has moved away from the books.

Both of those are succesfull. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:36 AM, ArrylT said:

https://newsletters.theatlantic.com/deep-shtetl/61e06b2c55e52500217add01/your-bubble-is-not-the-culture-lin-manuel-miranda-harry-potter/

This is not a WoT article per say but I think the point being made by the article is the same for any entertainment be it movie, show or music ... 

Couple of interesting quotes (to me):

"But just because something makes waves on Twitter doesn’t mean it actually matters to most people. According to the Pew Research Center, only 23 percent of U.S. adults use Twitter, and of those users, “the most active 25% … produced 97% of all tweets.” In other words, nearly all tweets come from less than 6 percent of American adults. This is not a remotely good representation of public opinion, let alone newsworthiness, and treating it as such will inevitably result in wrong conclusions."

I think this ties into what other people have said about (a) this site and (b) IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes.   And that is while ideally one can want WoT to have a 100% grade or approval rating, that in the end, the rating/data provided is only relevant in that that is the view of those that were active on that site, not the entire population of people who have watched the show in the country/world.   If less than 6% of Americans adults are vocal on Twitter, exactly what % is it on Reddit, on IDMB, RT & so forth. Just keep that in mind the next time you feel overwhelmed by a different pov - no matter how alone you may feel, you are not - the majority of voices is simply a small small sample magnified by the size of the room you are currently in.

"The deep-seated need to justify one’s own relevance is how we end up with cultural criticism that evaluates art as politics, rather than as art which also has political elements. It’s how we get Playstation 5 reviews that scold people for owning one and being excited about it, because purportedly only privileged people do things like that. I suspect that if folks felt less guilty about what they were doing, we’d get less of this sort of writing."

In other words I can interpret this as that some of the people review bombing a show or movie likely do it perhaps to make themselves feel relevant, and likewise some of the people who rate something a 10 might do it to counter act that negativity and reassure that their voice is also relevant.  

"After all, if anything is “cringe,” it’s culture writers telling their audiences that they should hate the things that bring them joy, especially at such a difficult time."

Perhaps no different than people crashing other peoples posts of enjoyment and telling them that the show they like sucks.

Another thing I will add is that the internet in general has become a place where Negative views and opinions garner more views than positive. 

People who post and review negatively, especially on Youtube etc, will get more "clicks" and have more people sitting in to listen then those who post reviews that something is great and extoll all the good things. 

It has been accepted by many polling companies in Politics that generally (not always) those who are vocal about a subject will actually be the Minority and when it comes to an election a silent majority will make there voices heard. When you apply this to Culture like TV or Movies you will often find a minority of people take to platforms such as twitter, or the bottom half of the internet, and make negative comments that create noise and make them visible. 

Combine that with a platform where people make money from clicks and, it makes much more sense, for a "critic" on a platform like Youtube to say things that appeal to the more vocal because they are the ones who will seek out those videos and give them the advertising revenue. 

“We're really enjoying working together. I couldn't ask for a better partner in terms of the love [story]line. We're excited about where that's gonna go.

That's the best either can say in this article.  Not, "Oh my god, how good is this story", or "The fan reaction has been so strong", or "just wait till you see what's coming next season, I'm not allowed to say but you won't be disappointed".....

2 hours ago, Deviations said:

“We're really enjoying working together. I couldn't ask for a better partner in terms of the love [story]line. We're excited about where that's gonna go.

That's the best either can say in this article.  Not, "Oh my god, how good is this story", or "The fan reaction has been so strong", or "just wait till you see what's coming next season, I'm not allowed to say but you won't be disappointed".....

I do so love the internet, it provides so much opportunity for people to try and wring out as much of a wrong interpretation from a sentence as possible. 

Read the whole article and consider the questions that where being asked. 

They are asked about there characters personal stories, there experiance of working together and then some wider questions about Diversity and acting with things that are not there. Read it for what it is, the 2 of them are loving the experiance, Zoe Robbins talks about exploring Nyns vulnerable side in season 2, Dan talks about enjoying showing a side of Lan we haven't seen yet. 

Nothing in the text of this article comes across as being negative. If they had given the kind of Vacuous statements like you seem to expect my guess is that many would jump on them as just "touting the company line and they don't really mean it". 

Most of the time there is no subtext, no hidden meaning, no secret behind the words. This isn't Free Nynaeve, trying to see hidden messages, this isn't Q, this as with 99% of interviews is just 2 actors having a pretty open discussion about the process and there own personal experiences with it. 

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I do so love the internet, it provides so much opportunity for people to try and wring out as much of a wrong interpretation from a sentence as possible. 

Read the whole article and consider the questions that where being asked. 

They are asked about there characters personal stories, there experiance of working together and then some wider questions about Diversity and acting with things that are not there. Read it for what it is, the 2 of them are loving the experiance, Zoe Robbins talks about exploring Nyns vulnerable side in season 2, Dan talks about enjoying showing a side of Lan we haven't seen yet. 

Nothing in the text of this article comes across as being negative. If they had given the kind of Vacuous statements like you seem to expect my guess is that many would jump on them as just "touting the company line and they don't really mean it". 

Condescend much?

My point is that there is an entire article about this crap rather than an entire article about how well the series was turning out, how their newly found fame and fortune was changing their lives and how happy they were to have joined in.

I've not participated in the arguments about ratings or Amazon's touting the company line.  Of course they are going to continue to try and sell this!  I don't blame them.  They are fiscally responsible and must get the most out of the investment.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:26 PM, Deviations said:

"Prior to the show’s November 2021 premiere, Inverse spoke to stars Daniel Henney, as al’Lan “Lan” Mandragoran, and Zoe Robins (“Nynaeve al’Meara”). They gave a glimpse of Season 2, which had already begun production when Season 1 started streaming on Amazon Prime Video."

I think it would be a bit strange for them to go on about fan reaction, how newfound fame has changed their lives, or how well it was all going prior to the series premiere *shrug*

59 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

"Prior to the show’s November 2021 premiere, Inverse spoke to stars Daniel Henney, as al’Lan “Lan” Mandragoran, and Zoe Robins (“Nynaeve al’Meara”). They gave a glimpse of Season 2, which had already begun production when Season 1 started streaming on Amazon Prime Video."

I think it would be a bit strange for them to go on about fan reaction, how newfound fame has changed their lives, or how well it was all going prior to the series premiere *shrug*

Fair point.  I'll still point put out that I'm not seeing positive buzz.

1 hour ago, AdamA said:

It still is. They didn't need to hire the actors for the characters who first show up in Caemlyn until season two.

Meanwhile they added many characters that weren't even in the first book.  It was never about budget.  It was about telling the story they wanted to tell.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:26 PM, Deviations said:

putting aside the objections that were already raised....

seriously, do we really need to have actors say "Oh my god, how good is this story" in every interview? because i get the impression that it's what they say in every single interview. Kinda make me hope somebody somewhere will say "no, we're doing total crap, but we're paid for it"; i may watch that show just for the honesty ?

Just earlier today, a friend of mine was complaining how he's looking for a job and every single enterprise he checks claims in their site to be leader in their sector, to hire the best people, and somesuch. And interviews here are the same. the same garbage. we don't need the same old trite sentences on how good something is. our society could do with less gratuitous superlatives

And this is the best, deepest, most poignant post in the entire forum. I'd say just "in the entire discussion", but you may take it as a sign that I'm not really all that confident in my opinion if I couldn't say anything better....

21 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

seriously, do we really need to have actors say "Oh my god, how good is this story" in every interview? because i get the impression that it's what they say in every single interview. Kinda make me hope somebody somewhere will say "no, we're doing total crap, but we're paid for it"; i may watch that show just for the honesty ?

Wise, in general, not to be too honest so publicly about your employers.  And this is par for the course in Hollywood.  Watch the extras of almost any film, and it'll be "Oh, we were like a family, I've never had so much fun, people were so generous, the director is a genius" and the like.

Years later you learn that the cast hated each other so much scenes had to be shot separately, the established actors made the others give them footrubs and bring tea, wages were deducted for oxygen breathed and the director was a complete prat.

21 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Just earlier today, a friend of mine was complaining how he's looking for a job and every single enterprise he checks claims in their site to be leader in their sector, to hire the best people, and somesuch.

Makes for excellent interviews.  He can ask for top dollar, since he too must be the best if they're offering him a job. ?  

Edited by EmreY

More fair points.  I'll just say that a focused discussion on this love story begs the question of what's not a story (how great the show is going to be).  While not every show is great, some are and when that happens, people are talking about it.  Alot.

On 2/3/2022 at 6:11 AM, king of nowhere said:

Just earlier today, a friend of mine was complaining how he's looking for a job and every single enterprise he checks claims in their site to be leader in their sector, to hire the best people, and somesuch. And interviews here are the same. the same garbage. we don't need the same old trite sentences on how good something is. our society could do with less gratuitous superlatives

2 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

Pretty crazy.  Wheel of time bigger than every new Marvel and Starwars show in 2021.  Hopefully Amazon gets their crisis response team and figures out their script problems and other problems asap.  

Edited by Pandemonium