DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

54 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

Thank you so much for posting all this!

WoT fandom on twitter is excellent for finding stuff like this. I got the GeekyEri stuff from Dusty Wheel discord. Another very good place.

Edit. As some user pointed out on Discord; the summaries made by fans/people shouldn't be taken as 100% accurate representation of what the actual interview was about

Edited by DaddyFinn

Great stuff, I like the Empire pod generally so will maybe renew my sub to them for this. The quotes give me further hope for S2 anyway, as I've said here my feeling on S1 was a lot of execution issues rather than core idea problems. So hopefully the execution is a lot better for S2. 

I think in terms of S2 release though, if we get it around the same time of year as we got S1 I'd be delighted. With an expected gap between LotR and S2, I think November would probably be pushing it for release. Otherwise we may be waiting til early 2023. 

2 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Great stuff, I like the Empire pod generally so will maybe renew my sub to them for this. The quotes give me further hope for S2 anyway, as I've said here my feeling on S1 was a lot of execution issues rather than core idea problems. So hopefully the execution is a lot better for S2. 

I think in terms of S2 release though, if we get it around the same time of year as we got S1 I'd be delighted. With an expected gap between LotR and S2, I think November would probably be pushing it for release. Otherwise we may be waiting til early 2023. 

It also shows that yes Rafe and the production crew are accepting criticisms from the first season.  Any they even acknowledge some of their mistakes.  

It was very nice read and I am really looking forward to season 2.

1 hour ago, Skipp said:

It also shows that yes Rafe and the production crew are accepting criticisms from the first season.  Any they even acknowledge some of their mistakes

The only thing I see them acknowledging is they muddied the waters with egwene healing. 

The poor character development is ignored, not to mention all the other issues.

1 hour ago, Skipp said:

It also shows that yes Rafe and the production crew are accepting criticisms from the first season.  Any they even acknowledge some of their mistakes.  

It was very nice read and I am really looking forward to season 2.

Only admission I saw was that they didn’t make things clearer.

Didn’t see any acknowledgment of any criticism nor any real acknowledgment that mistakes were even made.

I don't see a whole lot of encouragement in that. They acknowledge production shortcomings, but seem totally happy with all the writing choices. I also don't think Wheel of Time is supposed to "subvert" the chosen one narrative. Rand subverts Jesus specifically, in the sense that he has to accept that he can't sacrifice himself so others don't need to suffer and he needs to allow others to fight and die for the cause as well, but he is still very much a full-on legit chosen one. The prophesies are all correct. The good guys win and Rand doesn't turn evil or start a genocide. If they just mean he's reluctant, I'm not sure that's a trope subversion. Hero's journey in the Campbell sense includes an element where the hero resists at first.

Wonder what he means by Rand acts childish in book 2. 

He doesn’t want to be used, and he doesn’t want to be treated by a Lord because he feels he isn’t one, and he definitely doesn’t want to acknowledge that’s he’s the Dragon Reborn.

None of that seems very childish to me. He’s a guy in his late teens he’s obviously not gonna be ready or accepting of what the world is throwing at him.

22 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

He doesn’t want to be used, and he doesn’t want to be treated by a Lord because he feels he isn’t one, and he definitely doesn’t want to acknowledge that’s he’s the Dragon Reborn.

None of that seems very childish to me. He’s a guy in his late teens he’s obviously not gonna be ready or accepting of what the world is throwing at him.

It’s a fantasy setting, it doesn’t have to make much sense after all.

I mean his acting rebellious would make sense in the book, but much less so in the TV show because they accelerated the characters to be more experienced and less innocent.

The whole Selene subplot is him acting childish.  She just magically appears in a location requiring channel to get there, appears and disappears at will, always pushing him against his better instincts etc.  Yet his POVs shows that he never even entertains that thought that anything might be wrong about the situation and that she might not be what she seems.  This is after he has multiple battles with darkfriends and knows that at least some of the Forsaken are loose.  There is a place for innocence, but completely turning your brain off when you are the DR? 

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

That will cost them more viewers.

Poorly received final episodes even from fans of the show into a long break will lead to people not restarting the series. 

It depends.  If the Rings series is good, people will have gone into withdrawal, and a grunting Witcher won't be enough to make up the difference.  If the Rings series is bad, people who like that sort of thing will be desperate for something, anything.

In addition, all those who voted 9-10/10 will turn up no matter what.  Those who voted 1-2/10 will also turn up because they'll likely have supressed the memories.

It's the middling scenarios and viewers I'm worried about. ? 

1 hour ago, EmreY said:

It depends.  If the Rings series is good, people will have gone into withdrawal, and a grunting Witcher won't be enough to make up the difference.  If the Rings series is bad, people who like that sort of thing will be desperate for something, anything.

In addition, all those who voted 9-10/10 will turn up no matter what.  Those who voted 1-2/10 will also turn up because they'll likely have supressed the memories.

It's the middling scenarios and viewers I'm worried about. ? 

They will watch it….Just won’t subscribe to Prime to get it week by week fresh and view it months-years later when you have prime and watched everything you wanted to and there’s a dry patch of other programming …

Least that is what I will be doing and I rated the show low to middling….Still haven’t watched more than 5 minutes of the last episode and have no real will to watch it yet either.

Edited by Raal Gurniss

3 minutes ago, nsmallw said:

Assuming that they make 8 seasons and take two years to put each of them out when they are done,  that's a load of gray hairs on my head by then assuming I haven't gone bald by then LOL

Don't forget Covid shut production down for a year; if the numbers for Season 2 are good, then I expect that Amazon will inform the production team - if not the public - to do the remaining 6 seasons, and it'll take 6- 6.5 years. 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:22 AM, Cauthonfan4 said:

I think the real question is how far will viewer numbers fall for season 2 after how poorly season 1 ended.

THis partially depends upon how long we have to wait for season 2 . You can build suspense for way to long. I don't like the idea of having to wait till Winter 2023 to see it. 

11 hours ago, expat said:

The whole Selene subplot is him acting childish.  She just magically appears in a location requiring channel to get there, appears and disappears at will, always pushing him against his better instincts etc.  Yet his POVs shows that he never even entertains that thought that anything might be wrong about the situation and that she might not be what she seems.  This is after he has multiple battles with darkfriends and knows that at least some of the Forsaken are loose.  There is a place for innocence, but completely turning your brain off when you are the DR? 

Rand is a young man and Selene is the hottest woman on the planet.  People are expecting logical decisions?