DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

On 12/24/2021 at 3:58 PM, ArrylT said:

https://nerdist.com/article/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-finale-showrunner-interview-rafe-judkins/

Another article with Rafe Judkins - one snippet I wanted to share

The end of the book The Eye of the World is famously confusing and messy. Can you talk about bringing that to the screen and making the change for only Rand and Moiraine to go to the Eye?

Hide contents

One of the first things I did when I started was talk to Harriet, Robert Jordan’s widow, and Brandon [Sanderson] about: what are the things Robert Jordan would’ve changed about the books with “hindsight’s 20/20?” They both talked about the introduction of Mat and Perrin, and how to have those characters be crystallized earlier in the show than they were in the books.

And then another thing they talked about was the end of the first book. I felt when I read it too, [that it] didn’t necessarily deliver exactly what he was hoping for. There were a couple things in it that he specifically said he was unhappy with. I worked with Brandon to find a way—hopefully you won’t understand it until season two—but hopefully one thing from the books that Robert Jordan hated, we have given an idea too, in the show. I can’t say more than that, but that would make it actually make sense.

But I wanted to take it, and take the core of what happens in there. And instead of letting Rand sort of do everything, which he does in the books—he fights Ba’alzamon, he then teleports to Tarwin’s Gap and levels an army of Trollocs, and then he gets the Horn of Valere. A lot happens for Rand there in the finale, but we wanted to try to take it and piece it out for our ensemble.

I’m sorry, but am I the only one who doesn’t buy this hogwash?

This “interview” is supposed to be telling us how the book ending is “confusing and messy” and Rafe fixed it for us? Did the interviewer actually watch the show?

The only things confusing about the end of the book were noted comparing it to the later books’ logic. The show’s ending didn’t even make sense on the basis of season 1. And if someone thinks Rafe has a master plan to payoff all of his changes while “fixing” the books’ “mess”, then I have a bridge to sell them.

Lastly, on the Jordan hatred thing, I would be very interested to hear Sanderson’s comments on that. Hatred is a very strong word, I’ve never heard a quote from Jordan hinting at that. Considering this is the guy telling us he knows how Jordan would’ve written the series if he was alive today, when he never even knew him so far as I know, I have to doubt the implication behind those words.

7 minutes ago, UOweTamASword said:

I’m sorry, but am I the only one who doesn’t buy this hogwash?

This “interview” is supposed to be telling us how the book ending is “confusing and messy” and Rafe fixed it for us? Did the interviewer actually watch the show?

The only things confusing about the end of the book were noted comparing it to the later books’ logic. The show’s ending didn’t even make sense on the basis of season 1. And if someone thinks Rafe has a master plan to payoff all of his changes while “fixing” the books’ “mess”, then I have a bridge to sell them.

Lastly, on the Jordan hatred thing, I would be very interested to hear Sanderson’s comments on that. Hatred is a very strong word, I’ve never heard a quote from Jordan hinting at that. Considering this is the guy telling us he knows how Jordan would’ve written the series if he was alive today, when he never even knew him so far as I know, I have to doubt the implication behind those words.

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg.9a4b3a9e3751450cd1f906135663850f.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, UOweTamASword said:

The only things confusing about the end of the book were noted comparing it to the later books’ logic. 

True, but very much not consistent with the other books. And it definitely needed changing because of that

There s no way we were getting the stairway to heaven (tm), words of the creator

And I am not surprised we missed the teleporting

Even that there is a way of cleaning Saidin using Saidar is not featured later on

Edited by Ralph

1 hour ago, zacz1987 said:

I may be wrong but I think they already renewed for season 3 part way through the season airing.

That’s a rumour isn’t it? Besides which even being renewed won’t stop it being cancelled…

I don’t want to see it cancelled I might not be a fan of the show but others are, but I won’t be watching any further!

From all the comments in various comment sections I think that will be a similar view for 30-60% of the people that watched it and many of them are fans of not just the genre but the Wheel of Time itself, that is not a good sign.

12 hours ago, Arthellion said:

I expect we will see a season 3, but season 4 depends on season two numbers.

If Rafe keeps making these kinds of changes I don’t see him having the book fan base en masse by season 3.

I’m already expecting a massive drop in numbers for season 2 premier.

He doesn’t need the book fan base. 

Ok maybe let’s look at this another way, what if Rafe is right, what if Brandon and Harriet did tell Rafe that RJ really wanted to change some things in the early books? It wouldn’t be the first time an author was unhappy with early work, now usually that early work isn’t linked so closely to the latter stuff they write but RJ did change as a person and an author. 

Disliking the TV series does not mean you have to automatically disbelieve everything Rafe says. Especially when, with something like this I have no doubt I’d be was lying Brandon would set the record straight very quickly. He has been vocal throughout the series on Reddit. 

As for a confusing end, the book is confusing and, as clunky as it was I do see the benefit in ending the tv show in this way, Rand does not need to be the hero all the time, he has some big money one power moments coming up. It also seems that an entire storyline will be created for Lan and Morraine in season 2, this excites me as it means we won’t get the long no character periods we do in the books .

There are things I think need improving but, this interview for me explains some things and I am imtrested to see where this pans out. Maybe it will all fall

flat, or maybe by season 8 it will all click. 

7 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

I'm a book fan and enjoy watching the show. *pikachu face* So don't count all of us out. ? I certainly don't find it to be the abomination others have claimed it to be, but haters gonna hate.

I am in agreement with you ? just trying to point out to the haters that there feelings won’t stop the show being made. 

54 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Ok maybe let’s look at this another way, what if Rafe is right, what if Brandon and Harriet did tell Rafe that RJ really wanted to change some things in the early books? It wouldn’t be the first time an author was unhappy with early work, now usually that early work isn’t linked so closely to the latter stuff they write but RJ did change as a person and an author. 

Disliking the TV series does not mean you have to automatically disbelieve everything Rafe says. Especially when, with something like this I have no doubt I’d be was lying Brandon would set the record straight very quickly. He has been vocal throughout the series on Reddit. 

As for a confusing end, the book is confusing and, as clunky as it was I do see the benefit in ending the tv show in this way, Rand does not need to be the hero all the time, he has some big money one power moments coming up. It also seems that an entire storyline will be created for Lan and Morraine in season 2, this excites me as it means we won’t get the long no character periods we do in the books .

There are things I think need improving but, this interview for me explains some things and I am imtrested to see where this pans out. Maybe it will all fall

flat, or maybe by season 8 it will all click. 

Just to be clear, I never said Rafe was outright lying. “Hogwash” referred to the interviewer’s premise that the book ending was “confusing and messy” and Rafe was kindly fixing it for us with all of his changes.

I would find it much more likely to be an exaggeration. Jordan may have disliked some small part, like the Creator’s voice confusion, but that did not require the much more impactful changes that were made to the ending.

By leaving it unsaid, Rafe allows those who wish, like the interviewer, to interpret it as him “fixing” the whole ending being aligned with how Jordan really wanted it. He’s already done this before saying he’s writing the story the way he believes Jordan would’ve done so if alive today.

Now how does Brandon come out and call Rafe out for that when Rafe “technically” may be telling the truth (if an Aes Sedai one) and only perhaps exaggerated things? Rafe has already successfully labeled his critics as haters, bigots and book fanatics. Brandon would be thrown in with the “nitpickers”.

Not to mention, Rafe said this impacts season 2. So now Brandon is not only a nitpicker/hater/bigot but spoiling season 2. That may be breach of contract, he’d better lawyer up.

18 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Ahh, the ol' "watch all the episodes before you judge them" line

I mean it might turn out like game of thrones, but I am a glass half full guy and am hoping it ends up being like Babylon 5, small things in season one that pay off 3 seasons later.