DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question for yall about the books

Cole635896

Hi everyone, I'm about halfway through the series and loving it. But I tried recommending the books to one of my friends and they couldn't get through the first book (for good reason!). I realized that the first book has much more elevated diction than the following novels in the series. Does anyone know why or have any ideas? Did it have something to do with editors or publishers?

Characters spent a lot of time traveling in first book. It gives us time and space to get to know them, but it is also means less events.

The WoT start to use switching between groups to skip less interesting traveling and when Rand find how to travel with saidin, it changes dynamic of books completely.

Time spent with Rand and Mat gives as important pieces for their personalities, but It can be tedious at first, when you don’t look at such depth of character.

Edited by Elendir

• 5 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 1:16 AM, DojoToad said:

Never had any problem getting into the first book, but everyone is different.  If they don't like the first, they probably won't like the rest...

I disagree.   The tone and story change completely as the books progress.  The Eye of the World was first written to be  a stand alone book, then part of a trilogy then part of an epic fantasy.  Robert Jordan just kept building.    

The first book was a bit like Tolkien, but ALL fanatasy at that time had to resemble Tolkien or you just couldn't get published.  

The Eye of the World and The Shadow Rising are VERY different books. 

The first half of the Eye of the World is heavier going, as it sets up the world and mythos,  and the Prologue makes NO SENSE until much later in the book.    I actually went back and re-read the prologue after finishing the Eye of the World and found it much more interesting.  

9 minutes ago, Rhettles said:

I disagree.   The tone and story change completely as the books progress.  The Eye of the World was first written to be  a stand alone book, then part of a trilogy then part of an epic fantasy.  Robert Jordan just kept building.    

The first book was a bit like Tolkien, but ALL fanatasy at that time had to resemble Tolkien or you just couldn't get published.  

The Eye of the World and The Shadow Rising are VERY different books. 

The first half of the Eye of the World is heavier going, as it sets up the world and mythos,  and the Prologue makes NO SENSE until much later in the book.    I actually went back and re-read the prologue after finishing the Eye of the World and found it much more interesting.  

OK.  You can disagree.

I had the same situation with a friend.

Some people just aren't used to heavy description and world building.

But also my pal is the type to read every single word.

Haha, so you can see how that'd be a lethal combination for someone trying to read Jordan, especially if we built up an expectation for them.

7 hours ago, Rhettles said:

It was in a discussion or article that included publishers notes that I read back in the '90's.  I no longer have the details sadly.

When I try to look it up, nothing supports that.  You seem to be mistaken. 

2 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Until you find a source that backs up your claim, everyone will dismiss your claim as either a faulty memory or just plain wrong.Screenshot_20210921-215241_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210921-215821_Chrome.jpg

How gracious of you to take it upon yourself to speak for "Everyone".   ? 

However, you may be right in that RJ himself planned more books in the beginning or maybe his plans for more books solidified after the success of the first, or maybe the publisher only signed on for the 1st book and then later agreed to more, tbh I can't recall exactly.  We're talking about an article that I read nearly 30 years ago. There are a number of other commenters in this group older than I who used to post content on theoryland and wotmafia in the early 2000's who might still have a linked reference on this topic.

• Community Administrator
9 hours ago, Rhettles said:

How gracious of you to take it upon yourself to speak for "Everyone". 

No, I can't speak for everyone, and I should have added the qualifier "almost everyone", I'm sorry.

You claim RJ only ever intended the Eye of the World to be a stand-alone nove.

This is literally the first time in the ~18+ years been on Dragonmount, that I've read anyone make that claim.

I referenced theoryland's interview database, with two Q&A's from 28 & 29 years ago to show just how long ago RJ has said he had always planned on this being a multi-book series.

Your reference is your memory from a "discussion or article" 30 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Toh means "obligation". If you have toh, it means that you have done something dishonorable and have an obligation to whomever you wronged.

Fain's power set is sort of ill defined. He is a corrupting influence on those around him and his dagger is super dangerous and icky.

34 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Toh means "obligation". If you have toh, it means that you have done something dishonorable and have an obligation to whomever you wronged.

Fain's power set is sort of ill defined. He is a corrupting influence on those around him and his dagger is super dangerous and icky.

Fain even corrupts other forms of evil.

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

So who did Suilun wrong in lord of chaos thanks for your help 

• 3 weeks later...