DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do we have Elayne or Min?

agreddon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any feasible way for a TV show to have even close to half the characters that this book series has. For budgetary, logistical, and storytelling reasons. I don't know who is going to get cut but I think we have to prepare ourselves for the reality that there will be a lot of cuts and alterations, both in terms of the characters and in terms of the events/plot. If they can streamline things as much as they will have to while still keeping the essence of the story and, to some degree, the complexity of the world, it will be a job well done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 3:07 PM, Rand520 said:

Elayne and Min are certainly main characters. I don’t see how you have WoT without them.

Any chance they might cut the romances between Rand and Min and Elayne? That might explain why Rand doesn't meet them at the same place in the series. They can still be significant characters, but be introduced to Egwene and Nynaeve while in the White Tower. That could avoid the possible controversy of how multiple love interests may be seen by the general public. Just an idea I have been thinking about. Thoughts?

By my memory, the can cut Min out of season one(but not the series), Elayne introduces him to the royal family which is important, plus if you have Logain publicly gentled you need Elayne's reaction. Maybe they're still playing around with how exactly to introduce the love interest plot and that's the hold up.

Min need some personal motivation to be in White Tower and travel through the ways to Falme. If they cut her from Baelron and rest will stay without explanation………

I hope it will not be serial full of characters, who do not know what they do and why they do it.

Guest redgiant

I think a central issue surrounding a lot of decisions that otherwise may seem unrelated, is the simple fact that in adapting the books to the screen, you cannot telegraph that Rand is uber-special too early. It is also why Morraine is advertised as being the center figure for now. Having unique scenes that highlight him too much is a dead giveaway for those who haven't read the books but that they need to secure as interested viewers.

Rand falling over the wall and meeting Elayne just seems like another one of those obvious scenes that give away too much about him. ESPECIALLY if the wall story leads up to Rand and Elaida whispering to him. Unless they balance him with Perrin's wolf story and Matt's dagger story in a way that doesn't just scream "THIS is the story that realy matters".

They may focus more on Logain's capture on-screen as a way to sort of mute this part of Rand's focus for a while, as well as up Logain's presence in general (which is something else I think they are trying to do).

If the goal is to reveal something is up with the boys and maybe Rand in particular, I would think that is best saved for Meetings at the Eye.

Edited by redgiant

I think you're right about not revealing Rand too early some stuff you have to do. I think they'll start Perrin's wolf-brother arc immediately as in the books, all his development is basically shoved into TOM. So Perrin can balance Rand but Mat I'm not sure, as you can't have a farmboy turn into instant Patton.

I believe that main characters should be kept. Period.  If you aren’t providing the major story arcs then consider another story.  
Do fans really desire an “Earl’s Disney Land”?  
Now, the extras: Cityfolk (all of ‘em), townsfolk (all of ‘em), Seafolk, Sharans, the armies, the Aiel, etc, etc...(and costumes/props)..now there’s where you spend and need to cut. 

On 1/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, redgiant said:

I think a central issue surrounding a lot of decisions that otherwise may seem unrelated, is the simple fact that in adapting the books to the screen, you cannot telegraph that Rand is uber-special too early. It is also why Morraine is advertised as being the center figure for now. Having unique scenes that highlight him too much is a dead giveaway for those who haven't read the books but that they need to secure as interested viewers.

Rand falling over the wall and meeting Elayne just seems like another one of those obvious scenes that give away too much about him. ESPECIALLY if the wall story leads up to Rand and Elaida whispering to him. Unless they balance him with Perrin's wolf story and Matt's dagger story in a way that doesn't just scream "THIS is the story that realy matters".

They may focus more on Logain's capture on-screen as a way to sort of mute this part of Rand's focus for a while, as well as up Logain's presence in general (which is something else I think they are trying to do).

If the goal is to reveal something is up with the boys and maybe Rand in particular, I would think that is best saved for Meetings at the Eye.

I'm of the opposite mind. I don't think that there's any reason for the show to be cute about whether or not Rand is the Dragon Reborn when it's confirmed by the end of the first book and fairly obvious quite a bit sooner, if not immediately (we don't see any PoV of the other EF residents getting attacked, after all). It was never much of a point of suspense, and if they keep the moment where Rand saves himself with the ship boom aboard the riverboat, every  show viewer who cares enough to read or watch speculation is going to know he's the channeler. The meeting with Elayne is one of the highlights of EotW (at least for me) and would be a real shame to cut.

As for Min, I kinda expect her to pop up at the Queen's Blessing, but I expect she'll be such a small role in S1 that she'll quite likely fly under the radar.

• 2 months later...

I expect we'll get a glimpse of what she sees through flashes of images and see her startled face. I actually don't think she'll be telling people about the images unless it's to set up a plot point (or to hit on Rand). For example I don't think she'll go through the whole list of things she sees above everyone's heads to Rand, but rather we'll see those images firsthand. It makes for better TV that way, and I expect there will be a lot of short glimpses of character interaction in the show that weren't in the book because we were limited to one POV.