DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Things I just noticed...

solarz

Imagine there's this girl you really like. Imagine she's dating this guy, and she really seems to care for him, and she doesn't seem to care about you at all. Then you learn that this guy killed your mom and is making moves on your sister. Pretty creepy, right? That's what Gawyn felt, and that's why he kept believing Rand killed his mother despite everyone telling him differently. Gawyn needed a justification for hating Rand.

Imagine you're on a road trip with a buddy, except you have no money and you're being chased by the mafia. He took care of you when you were temporarily blinded, and you took care of him when he fell suddenly ill. You went through some pretty crazy things together. Now imagine this buddy coming to you and announcing that he was now a noble, and you're now beneath him and he no longer wanted to be associated with you. That hurts. A lot. Maybe you think to yourself that nobles are such assholes, and hope you never become one. Maybe that's why Mat dislikes nobles so much and refuses to be thought of as one.

Finally, I've always thought of Morgase as a throwaway character. Her plot arcs were pretty boring and inconsequential. Then I realized that it was the news of her death that made Rand decide to attack Rahvin. Without that decision, Lanfear would not have attacked Rand, and Moiraine would not have fallen through the doorway ter'angreal. What's more, Morgase would not have fled the palace if Mat and Perrin had not set certain things in motion. Morgase had been pulled by their ta'veren nature, and in turn set into motions events that would influence the Dragon Reborn. Everything comes back to the 3 ta'veren...

I just noticed (thanks to the companion) that Moriaine is actually an Aunt of Gawyn, Galad, and Elayne.

Also she is now married and bonded to the man who murdered her step brother.

The companion had an interesting thing on Muradin,  He had a plan with his brother Couladin,  they were going  to take the Shaido to Cairhien.  Not only taking it but they were going to keep it.  Which helps explains Couladin's sudden decision to go over the dragonwall.  Since that what the plan was going to be if his brother returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Rand didn't really like to be treated like a noble at first, and he never placed himself above Mat.  I think Mat's dislike of nobles comes from his time in Tear mostly.  He didn't start to hate nobles as much as he did until then.  In Tear, the lordlings he gambled with openly talked about raping farmgirls like it was a game.  And you can tell how much it pissed Mat off because of the fact that most of the nobles he was "friends" with were careful of what they said and did around him because they though he, or Rand would kill them over it.

7 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

Rand didn't really like to be treated like a noble at first, and he never placed himself above Mat.  I think Mat's dislike of nobles comes from his time in Tear mostly.  He didn't start to hate nobles as much as he did until then.  In Tear, the lordlings he gambled with openly talked about raping farmgirls like it was a game.  And you can tell how much it pissed Mat off because of the fact that most of the nobles he was "friends" with were careful of what they said and did around him because they though he, or Rand would kill them over it.

Rand tried to drive Mat and Perrin away by acting like they were beneath him in TGH.

Mat doesn't hate nobles, he just didn't like being around them (with a few exceptions), and most of all he didn't like being thought of as one.

15 hours ago, solarz said:

Rand tried to drive Mat and Perrin away by acting like they were beneath him in TGH.

Mat doesn't hate nobles, he just didn't like being around them (with a few exceptions), and most of all he didn't like being thought of as one.

No, he hates plenty of nobles, especially the ones in Tear, who literally see common folk as sub-human.

8 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

No, he hates plenty of nobles, especially the ones in Tear, who literally see common folk as sub-human.

Well, some of the nobles that he gambled with in Tear joined the band, and Mat doesn't seem to have a problem with either Estean or Edorion.

I suspect she does, in book 4 she mentioned how it was a good thing Morgase didn't know he meant to replace her.  I took that as a hint she knew Thom killed him.  It just wasn't until after the series was over it occurred to me that she is now married to a man who killed a member of her own family.  I guess becuase they have a different last name is why it never hit me that Moiraine was related to Elayne and them.

Edited by Sabio

Something tells me she didn't really care about Thom killing him.  We are talking about someone who almost destoryed Andor as she knew it, and probably would have weakened the Tower's power.  The reason that the Tower had such a control is because the Queens respected it, and trained in the Tower themselves.  A King wouldn't have had such respect.  As an  Aes Sedai, I am sure her loyalty is more to the Tower than her step brother, and to keeping Andor under the Tower's control was important.   

I wasn't saying she should be upset, she admitted her family name a deserved bad reputation.  Just seems rather ironic that all of the people she could fall in love with just so happens to be the guy who murdered her step brother.