DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does the Dragon's Peace really bar war

agreddon

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade."

Okay, so I was reading over at the wikia about the Dragon's Peace barring any sort of conflict and I'm wondering if that's a mass simplification of what it really did, which was to bar any conflict between nations.  If you believe Nicola's prophecy then the wikia's description is also off.  Could a nation go to civil war without violating the treaty so long as both sides did not involve other nations?

I'd also like to point out another flaw in the Peace, namely that it does not provide for an alternative means by which sides can resolve their conflict short of war.    I think this would have been a great place to write the Tinkers in as the judges, but maybe that happens later on.

The Aiel are suppose to be the police/judges.  But there are plenty of ways wars can still happen.   Shaido and Shara aren't part of the peace and fair game.  In some vision it was mentioned an aiel with a new rifle on way to Shara (or maybe coming back) for peacekeeping operations there.  Also the world not done with battle can also mean the Seanchan taking back their homeland. I guess there is nothing stopping a civil war or saying you have to run to help (unless can be proven maybe another nation is the one stirring up the trouble).

Also there is now a lot of unclaimed land.  Look at the blight, will nations run to claim that or will new nations appear there.  I think it's safe Malkier will rise again and the borderlands will try to reclaim land lost from the blight.  But there is a lot of vacant space there.  So if new nations do form, they won't be bound to the Dragon's peace.  Will someone try to take over Shara, etc.  So plenty of areas for conflict to occur.

Edited by Sabio

On 3/6/2018 at 9:46 AM, Sabio said:

The Aiel are suppose to be the police/judges.  But there are plenty of ways wars can still happen.   Shaido and Shara aren't part of the peace and fair game.  In some vision it was mentioned an aiel with a new rifle on way to Shara (or maybe coming back) for peacekeeping operations there.  Also the world not done with battle can also mean the Seanchan taking back their homeland. I guess there is nothing stopping a civil war or saying you have to run to help (unless can be proven maybe another nation is the one stirring up the trouble).

Also there is now a lot of unclaimed land.  Look at the blight, will nations run to claim that or will new nations appear there.  I think it's safe Malkier will rise again and the borderlands will try to reclaim land lost from the blight.  But there is a lot of vacant space there.  So if new nations do form, they won't be bound to the Dragon's peace.  Will someone try to take over Shara, etc.  So plenty of areas for conflict to occur.

Shara is definitely going to be a problem with the future.  I think I remember where Seanchan were amazed at how easily they could break the Sharans to the a'dam so that's going to be a problem.  The Shadio, on the other hand, might not be so much of a problem since they're still in the Wastelands and I don't see them going back out.  It definitely will be an interesting first 100 years while the rest of the world figures out exactly what the Dragon's Peace will be for them.

Nikola's Foretelling to me in the last future teeters line hints at Moridin holding Callandor. The rest hints that the Last Battle is done, but Rand still has not done what he needs to do. That battle at Shayol Ghul is Tarmon Gaidon. To different battles in the prophecies.

I think it bars full on war but not personal or one-on-one duels.  

Think of it as similar to the truce between the Muslims & Christians in the middle east between the second and third Crusades.  Personal disbutes and even small skirmished between lords was allowed, but anything that threatened the overall peace was illegal.  However, two lords or knights who fought over a personal issue did, but did not endanger the overall peace or threaten to cause a major war was legal.  

It really doesn't bar war since not everyone is part of it.

Shaido, Shara, Seanchan homeland, technically I don't think the sea folk signed it, the BT, any new nation that appears.  So there are plenty of people who could attack or might be attacked that isn't covered by the Dragon's Peace.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:45 AM, Sabio said:

It really doesn't bar war since not everyone is part of it.

Shaido, Shara, Seanchan homeland, technically I don't think the sea folk signed it, the BT, any new nation that appears.  So there are plenty of people who could attack or might be attacked that isn't covered by the Dragon's Peace.

That was the criticism Elayne had for Rand's idea before the Aiel were incorporated.

I'm pretty sure RJ intended the Dragon's Peace to work like the UN. It's just a common framework, not a magical panacea to stop all wars. People will still be people.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:46 PM, Sabio said:

I don't remember any vision like that, an Aiel with a rifle? Where in the books did that happen?

That sounds about right, I could never remember if it was Rand or Avi vision.  But it would make sense it was Rand.

I am still amazed Rand never made a deal with Tuon about men who could channel.  Will they still be hunted and killed. Or as with the deal with the WT, will they be given a chance to go to the BT?

Edited by Sabio