DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

POD, Saidin/Saidar disturbance around Ebou Dar....

What is the explanation for the unusual behaviour of the power around Ebou Dar?

I've read the books through twice and am sure there is an explanation, but currently listening to the audio books and think I might have missed the reveal.

Unless my vague recollection is correct and it was Bowl of the Winds related?

Another thing........

Either very near the end of POD, or at the start of WH, Sorilea leads five or six Aes Sedai, who are also D'tsang, in to see Rand, and they are allowed to swear fealty to him.

It at least is presented as being an undecided outcome at the beginning, and should events have transpired differently some or all of the shamed ones may have been sanctioned to varying degrees, up to and including stilling/execution.

So who held their Shields?

Not the Power-weak Sorilea, on all of them, I'm sure.....

Edited by James Sedai

Think listening to the books being read gives a different perspective, and means different things become apparent.

During Rand's problematic use of Callandor at the end of POD, while attaching the Seanchan outside Ebou Dar, Rand calls out to Shai'tan, but without effect.

I know there are at least two directly observed instances of people doing this, one of them Rand.

And a general belief it being done elicits an effect, or response.

But is the Ebou Dar instance the only time we see it done, and nothing happens?

Another thing........

Either very near the end of POD, or at the start of WH, Sorilea leads five or six Aes Sedai, who are also D'tsang, in to see Rand, and they are allowed to swear fealty to him.

It at least is presented as being an undecided outcome at the beginning, and should events have transpired differently some or all of the shamed ones may have been sanctioned to varying degrees, up to and including stilling/execution.

Well if the Aeil are really good at anything other than combat, its completely whipping people. Those Red sisters were the ones who tried to take Rand to the WT if I remember correctly, so the wise ones would have made their life a living hell for doing that to the Car'a'carn, and honestly would have broken them pretty easily. And there are multiple examples in the book of Aes Sedai waiting to even speak until they got approval from the wise ones who had taken them as apprentices, when Aes Sedai (especially Reds) think themselves above everybody, so their control over people is pretty absolute.

My point is, unless they specifically said they were shielded at the time, even if them swearing fealty was an unsure thing at first, they probably werent shielded at all. Im sure other wise ones than Sorilea shielded them during their punishments near the tents, but theres no way Sorilea would have brought them before the Car'a'carn unless they were broken down enough that they wouldnt even think of trying to channel in that room. Its not like they could kill Rand with their oaths, and it wasnt like they were going to be able to successfully smuggle him out of the castle a second time with just the 5 of them, so Rand really wasnt in any danger at all.

Another thing........

Well if the Aeil are really good at anything other than combat, its completely whipping people. Those Red sisters were the ones who tried to take Rand to the WT if I remember correctly, so the wise ones would have made their life a living hell for doing that to the Car'a'carn, and honestly would have broken them pretty easily. And there are multiple examples in the book of Aes Sedai waiting to even speak until they got approval from the wise ones who had taken them as apprentices, when Aes Sedai (especially Reds) think themselves above everybody, so their control over people is pretty absolute.

My point is, unless they specifically said they were shielded at the time, even if them swearing fealty was an unsure thing at first, they probably werent shielded at all. Im sure other wise ones than Sorilea shielded them during their punishments near the tents, but theres no way Sorilea would have brought them before the Car'a'carn unless they were broken down enough that they wouldnt even think of trying to channel in that room. Its not like they could kill Rand with their oaths, and it wasnt like they were going to be able to successfully smuggle him out of the castle a second time with just the 5 of them, so Rand really wasnt in any danger at all.

Oath breaking would have been a problem except for the one that was black ajah!

We saw in book 3 that it drew him. The Dark One must have been blocked somehow by the ter angreal over stressing and it affected the true power in the process.

Maybe the laurel crown/of swords was a Terangreal, did any suitably talented channelers ever find themselves near it? Elayne or Avienda perhaps?

Sometime around Rand taking said crown Avi found the shadow blocking blunt dagger.....

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing........

its possible that the shields were tied.

Admittedly, this is unlikely as we see earlier, in Verins POV, that the Wise Ones dislike having the shields tied off.

• 4 weeks later...

Crown not a terangreal, Rand chipped it during one of his falls.

Bowl may have been overstressed, but Rand/Nynaeve destroyed female key and saangreal on sea folk island without creating similar vibrations.

More likely when DO stopped the weather, he had the seasons tied up pretty tight, maybe TP involved. Bowl's OP weaves rubbing and pulling on TP weaves, tearing etc. to quote the sea folk, it will take time to turn, validates an extensive time frame for a friction in the Force.

Edited by jsbrads