DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bubble of evil question

Seldkam

I have introduced the graphic novels to some people in China while I study abroad (of course I'd prefer to give the novels themselves but it is quite time consuming).

While trying to explain bubbles of evil I saw on the wot wiki that they apparently are creations of Rand and the DOs fighting at the end of AMOL ... which I don't remember nor trust as it is a wiki after all. Sadly I don't have my copy on me and the wikis synopsis of the referenced chapter doesn't help exactly.

Is this true? Are bubbles really teleported back in time from that one point because of how much they changed the world during their battle? Thanks.

Guess always a possibility and Morianes explanation was wrong, but like the others it seems unlikely.  More than likely it's just evil seeping out of the DO's prison as the seals get weaker.  Then they float along the pattern and burst causing some chaos.

• 2 weeks later...

I was never a big fan of the ‘bubbles of evil’. I always sounded silly. Maybe if he came up with a different, old tongue name for it, but bubbles of evil always made me think of a little girl in a sun dress blowing bubbles that were evil.

It's funny how we come up with different mental images of things. My natural mental image was the gas bubbles that  release from something like the tar pits.

Hm... I haven´t thought about it like that. I thought it was the DO who where slowly reaching out into the world (since the seals got weaker) that created the bubbles of evil. 

I think that Moiraine described it as bubbles escaping the DO's lair akin to swamp gas, traveling along the pattern and randomly bursting creating the chaos.  She speculated that Rand's Taveren nature attracted them.  We saw this happen with Perrin's POV with his Ax in Tear with Rand, but we also saw it while he was away visiting the Seanchan clerks, and Mat experienced it in Tear as well but with different events so it is possible the bubbles drifting along were attracted, and burst randomly elsewhere.  We see one hit the Aes Sedai Camp, Perrin's Camp, and of course we see the after-effects of the one that hit Jerid's camp turning all the metal to clay so they do strike randomly.  A lot of tales suggest many others struck off scene.  I would think a Taveren could attract them, not just Rand.  It appears that the one that struck in Tear might have been three tiny bubbles or three in general drawn becaus all three were there.   

Archived