A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Narg gets sad when I say this, but for real, we waited for a lord of the rings movie from back when the Beatles tried to get the rights in the 60s through the neverending Bakshi story, then some other animated bits,  until Jackson finally did the thing at the turn of the century, almost 40 years later.

so the thing may well get made someday, and it may well be not terrible. But that day may be a long long while.

• 2 weeks later...

This would only work if done on the scale of Game of Thrones, but Game of Thrones only worked because most of the character die.  

They would need to use mostly talented, but lesser known actors to save money, with a few key roles reserved for major names......

They would also need to blend much of the story together.

Here is how I would see it happening....

Season 1; Based solely on Eye of the World

Season 2; Based on The Great Hunt 

Season 3: Based on the Dragon Reborn

All three of these books have too much important details that I think they deserve their own seasons....

Season 4; Based on The Shadow Rising & The Fires of Heaven

Season 5: Based on The Lord of Chaos & A Crown of Swords

Season 6: Based on The Path of Daggers, Winters Heart, and Crossroads of Twilight, & Knife of Dreams

Season 7; Based on The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight & A Memory of Light

Season 8; Based on New Spring, but includes new storylines and scenes based around Tigraine, and Tam al'Thor

On 12/03/2018 at 4:11 PM, Sabio said:

Honestly if it's ever made I would be shocked.  How long have we heard of a WOT movie in the works etc...  Just seems like the longer they wait since the series ended the slimmer the chances get.

It's worth noting that previously options have been taken out, but never before has the option been taken up and the project gone into active development. So this latest project is certainly by far the most serious and has gotten much further than ever before. It's not 100% greenlit yet, but almost.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wheeloftimetv said:

Amazon have confirmed that The Dark Tower TV show is in development with them but not green lit yet, which gives the deadline article from feb that mentioned both DT and WoT more credence. If WoT is at Amazon then it is most likely in the same situation. 

If that's the case we can only hope that Jeff Bezos personally champions it because I can't see it making any business sense for them to green light both this and LOTR and they have already committed to 5 seasons of LOTR...

2 hours ago, Rednalloc said:

If that's the case we can only hope that Jeff Bezos personally champions it because I can't see it making any business sense for them to green light both this and LOTR and they have already committed to 5 seasons of LOTR...

There is a business sence if they want to drastically increase their streaming subscribers.

If they get 20 million new subscribers worldwide with a $10 monthly subscription they'll get 3,6 billion dollars a year for their new subscribers. If you consider that LOTR will go on for 5 years then there's plenty of dough left for the other Projects.

I think Amazon may be doing a big effort to seize a big part of the streaming audience with both Netflix and Disney having their own straming services and are creating a lot of new content. I heard that Netflix were planning to spend 8 billion dollars in 2018 on original material. 

If Amazon want to be part of the streaming services they have to go big or be left behind. 

1 hour ago, Tomp said:

There is a business sence if they want to drastically increase their streaming subscribers.

If they get 20 million new subscribers worldwide with a $10 monthly subscription they'll get 3,6 billion dollars a year for their new subscribers. If you consider that LOTR will go on for 5 years then there's plenty of dough left for the other Projects.

I think Amazon may be doing a big effort to seize a big part of the streaming audience with both Netflix and Disney having their own straming services and are creating a lot of new content. I heard that Netflix were planning to spend 8 billion dollars in 2018 on original material. 

If Amazon want to be part of the streaming services they have to go big or be left behind. 

You are assuming that WoT would be their only option though. With LOTR they still have an extremely strong epic fantasy show and WoT would be hugely expensive to produce. For the price of WoT they can probably have 5-10 "normal" TV shows, aka drama, crime, comedy etc. That is the same reason why Netflix has been mostly doing many cheap TV shows and canceling the expensive ones such as Marco Polo and Sense8, you simply get more bang (subscribers) for your buck. I certainly hope I am wrong and Amazon end up dumping a billion or two into WoT over 8-10 season but I am sceptical.

8 hours ago, Rednalloc said:

You are assuming that WoT would be their only option though. With LOTR they still have an extremely strong epic fantasy show and WoT would be hugely expensive to produce. For the price of WoT they can probably have 5-10 "normal" TV shows, aka drama, crime, comedy etc. That is the same reason why Netflix has been mostly doing many cheap TV shows and canceling the expensive ones such as Marco Polo and Sense8, you simply get more bang (subscribers) for your buck. I certainly hope I am wrong and Amazon end up dumping a billion or two into WoT over 8-10 season but I am sceptical.

Amazon set aside over a billion dollars for new series. That leaves plenty of money left over after Dark Tower, WoT, and LotR. Keep in mind these are also some of the best completed series in all of literature, and they are more than special effects they are great stories with characters that people love. If done right these three shows will bring in a lot of fans and the buzz of each will only attract more. 

I understand that there is and will be a lot of skepticism and tongue foolery against a TV series but i give credit to the production house for even attempting such a enormous task.  I look forward to the processes as they evolve and the proverbial curtain finally rises to the first episode. 

I would much prefer that nothing be cut be it character, nuance, plot line or point.  Each and every piece is integral to what we know and love as WOT. I agree that there are many aspects that could or need to be cut or revised for better viewing but that would take away from what we have spent years reading and loving be it good or ill.

I am like many at the edge of my seat waiting..

Edited by Meeno Minhas-Calabrese
grammar mistake

On 4/9/2018 at 3:38 PM, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

If there's anything to reveal I think it will be mentioned at the con. If nothing is mentioned at the con I'd take that as a sign that nothing is actually moving along, cause Harriet et al most definitely want to maintain interest here.

Sadly, I feel like if they were planning on making an announcement of any kind that they would be leaking that info to generate excitement and intrigue, so I don't expect to see any announcements. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them not using any information of any kind to get more interest in this convention.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:53 AM, Rednalloc said:

So here is are a couple of scenarios of business sense. From a production standpoint between something like LOTR and WOT, many of the assets could have use for both shows. IE... similar sets, similar locations, similar stunt/special effects etc... So think of it this way: LOTR shoots in New Zealand from Jan - June. WoT shoots July-Dec. Different actors/directors/writers for each show but set construction, costume design, etc... could all be shared between two.

From an audience perspective it could also make sense. Look at what AMC does with Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead. Very similar shows, but aired different times of the year so the audience's attention almost always has some flavor of Walking Dead feeding it. Obviously streaming is different but binges a year apart probably don't do much for maintaining subscriptions

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, Dagon Thyne said:

This would only work if done on the scale of Game of Thrones, but Game of Thrones only worked because most of the character die.  

They would need to use mostly talented, but lesser known actors to save money, with a few key roles reserved for major names......

They would also need to blend much of the story together.

Here is how I would see it happening....

Season 1; Based solely on Eye of the World

Season 2; Based on The Great Hunt 

Season 3: Based on the Dragon Reborn

All three of these books have too much important details that I think they deserve their own seasons....

Season 4; Based on The Shadow Rising & The Fires of Heaven

Season 5: Based on The Lord of Chaos & A Crown of Swords

Season 6: Based on The Path of Daggers, Winters Heart, and Crossroads of Twilight, & Knife of Dreams

Season 7; Based on The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight & A Memory of Light

Season 8; Based on New Spring, but includes new storylines and scenes based around Tigraine, and Tam al'Thor

Season 4 - 7 will be Failes rescue.

Edited by Sabio

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...