Ryrin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy peach cobbler:

1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix
2 (16 oz.) cans sliced peaches in heavy syrup
2 sticks butter

Pour peaches and syrup into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cover peaches completely with dry cake mix, do not mix. Cover mix with pats of butter.

Bake at 350 degrees F. until golden brown approximately 25 minutes.

My grandfather, who passed away some years ago, swore this tasted just like my grandmother homemade recipe. I kinda wonder if my grandmother fooled him into thinking she slaved over this dish. 

No cook cranberry "relish."

The sugar balances the natural tartness of the raw cranberries, and helps the mixture macerate, releasing juices that bind everything together. The recipe is as sweet as you want it to be. 2 cups of sugar will yield a very sweet result. 1 cup much less so.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups rinsed raw cranberries
  • 2 skinned and cored tart green apples, cut into thick slices
  • 1 large, whole (peel ON) seedless orange, cut into sections
  • 1 to 2 cups granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you would like your relish to be)

Method

1 If you are using an old fashioned grinder, use the medium-sized grinder plate and set the grinder on the edge of a table with a large bowl or pan to catch the fruit mix as it is ground. Old fashioned grinders tend to leak juice down the grinder base, so you may want to set up a bowl underneath to catch the drips.

If you don't have an old fashioned grinder, you can use the grinder attachment to a KitchenAid mixer, or you can use a food processor. If you use a food processor, be careful not to over-pulse! Or you'll have mush instead of relish.

You can also just chop very finely by hand, but that's difficult, especially with the cranberries.

2 Push the cranberries, orange sections, and apple slices through the grinder. Include the orange peel! Alternate the fruit as you push it through the grinder so that different fruits get ground together.

3 Stir in the sugar. (Start with less than a cup and keep adding 1/4 cups until you reach your desired level of sweetness.) Let sit at room temperature until the sugar dissolves, about 45 minutes. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

cranberry-relish-600-wm.jpg

We are having our potluck Thanksgiving at work on Thursday.  We order the meat from a shop.  It comes cooked, juicy and with gravy on the side.

The really fun thing is tasting everyone's stuff.  I had a no cooked relish.  It was good, although I prefer the cooked one I make.

Ok, tell me what you think of these.  Not sweet enough for Thanksgiving?  Yea or nay?

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Feta, Almonds & Pomegranate

Ingredients

• 4 sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
    • 2 tablespoon ginger, grated
    • 1 orange, zested
    • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 6 sprigs sage
    • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    • 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 1 teaspoon shallots, finely minced
    • 1/2 cup almond oil
    • 1/2 cup Greek feta, crumbled
    • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
    • 0.5 cup natural almonds (skin on), toasted and roughly chopped
    • 0.5 cup scallions, thinly sliced
    • Kosher salt
    • Fresh ground pepper
  • Preparation

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a sheet tray in the oven to heat it.

Toss the sweet potatoes with the ginger, orange zest, and olive oil. Season liberally with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Remove the hot sheet tray from the oven and carefully place on a trivet or on your stove top. Place the sweet potato slices onto the hot sheet tray.

Place the sage sprigs on top of the potatoes. Roast in the oven until tender, about 30 minutes.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mustard, sherry vinegar, honey, and shallots. Slowly whisk in the almond oil to form a dressing. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Lightly toss the roasted potatoes in the vinaigrette. Arrange on a platter and top with the feta, pomegranates, almonds, and scallions.

• roasted-sweet-potatoes-feta-almonds-geof

•  

•  

We buy them the day after Thanksgiving when they are marked down.  We have a small chest freezer in the garage.  That was necessary when feeding two boys.

The best turkey I've had so far has been the deep fried one.  Not the healthiest but whatever......

fryturk9.jpg

How to deep fry a turkey:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/articles/19903/how-to-deep-fry-a-turkey

Every year this happens:

deep-fried-turkey3.jpg

Be very careful around kids.

Looks good?

cdb7a9e09c7dd2319c7c9f77c9ff74f9.jpg

Some inject it with garlic butter, garlic lemon, etc.

But... But... I've only just started cooking... The onion bread is in the bread machine, the cornbread is baking, and the celery, onion, and sausage are cooking in butter for the stuffing, and imma make the cranberry relish tonite and the sweet potatoes are baking so I can make the pudding in a couple days and...

Awwww alright ....

Thanks for hosting and happy thanksgiving!

1. What will be on  your table?

Turkey, for sure. I'm going to make a slow-cook turkey just like I have the last few Thanksgivings.  Juicy and tender and falls off the bone!  Ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, squash casserole, stuffing, some other veggies (not sure what), and cornbread.

2.  Are you traditional?

Yes, definitely traditional.  We will depart from traditional a bit this year as my mom will buy pumpkin pie and whipped cream instead of us (me, hubby and boys) making them. We'll be on the road Wednesday to drive to my parents' cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains so we're "cheating" just a bit this year.

3. Will you potluck? 

Actually, yes. We are having Thanksgiving with my parents so I usually make something (turkey, squash casserole, cornbread and sometimes homemade cranberry sauce/jelly). My mom makes the mashed potatoes and gravy and a ham.  My sister (who will not be joining us this year) usually makes green bean casserole.  So it's mostly homemade but not one person is making everything.  We may also make some pumpkin cranberry loaves this year -- they are always a hit.

4. What is your favorite dish? 

Ooooh, tough one but probably my squash casserole -- it is a staple at Thanksgiving. And at Christmas.  It's not Thanksgiving or Christmas without it . . .LOL!  My dad jokes that if we ever come over for a holiday meal without squash casserole he won't let us in the door.  :laugh:

(I've been making this recipe since I was about 14 or 15. A wonderful neighbor, who was like a grandmother to me, taught me how to make it when I was in Jr High in Montgomery, Alabama)

Squash Supreme

2 lbs of yellow squash (I typically get 2 and a smidge to account for what you lose when you peel the squash)

1 onion (small to medium), chopped

1 medium carrot, grated

8 oz sour cream

1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup

Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix (in the blue bag)

Pepper (to taste; I use about 1/8 tsp)

Butter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

Peel, slice and boil squash until tender. Drain and mash.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together cooked squash, chopped onion, grated carrot, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and pepper.

Line bottom of casserole dish with stuffing mix. Spoon squash mixture into casserole dish.  Layer top of squash mixture with a layer of stuffing mix; dot with butter.  Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until heated through.  Stuffing mix layer on top should be a lovely golden brown.

BTW, you don't have to peel the squash if you don't want to.  Leaving the peeling would definitely add more color to the casserole.

Thank you for the wonderful Thanksgiving activities! 

I know it's late but this is a good one for Christmas too. It was such a hit at my house, it was gone before the night was done. 

Chocolate E'claire pie

(2) 3 oz boxes of french vanilla pudding

16 oz cool whip (I used 8 oz. I think 16 oz would make it way too rich)

(3) cups of milk

Graham crackers

Chocolate syrup

Mix milk and pudding together. Fold in cool whip. Mix. Line the bottom of the pan with graham crackers. Pour half the mix and smooth chocolate syrup on top. Repeat layers. Put in the fridge until ready to serve. 

yum_zpsn5hn7ayv.jpg

Archived