DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] LOST

Yveva

Guest Yveva

So, I decided to start listening to some entertainment podcasts. I'm on my first of three Lost podcasts and here's some interesting theory to discuss :)

1. The Real Sawyer isn't the Real Sawyer. Instead he's one of those island constructions, like Kate's horse or the guy in Eko's episode. People on the island get a blank slate, but you can only become a new person if you can leave the old person behind, therefore Locke was supposed to kill the not real real Sawyer in order to move on. I add that because he didn't do it himself now he is stuck carrying the dead body of the not real real Sawyer because he hasn't been able to let that part of his life go yet.

2. Locke was really supposed to defy Ben. Ben said that he had to do an act of his own free will in order to become one of them... and then promptly pressures Locke to do something that's not of his own free will. Defying Ben was the act of free will.

What do y'all think?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cadsuane

I sort of agree with #1. I feel like the characters that we've seen "overcome" the biggest issue from their old lives are the ones that get killed off. They've resolved their sh*t, so they can move on. Locke hasn't, even with his father dead. If he had, he wouldn't still be holding that anger.

However, after last week, Sawyer might be further on his way to "resolution", except that I think one of the spoilers from a little while ago mentions him as the leader of a camp in opposition to Jack?? So he might have to stick around.

Guest Yveva

the podcast suggested that killing the real Sawyer (even if he was the not real Sawyer) brought Sawyer's storyline closer to a close.

Theory #3: Walt is Jacob.

Guest Cadsuane
the podcast suggested that killing the real Sawyer (even if he was the not real Sawyer) brought Sawyer's storyline closer to a close.

Well that sort of goes along with my thoughts' date=' which is unfortunate, since I'd miss Sawyer and his sexy drawl. ^_^

Theory #3: Walt is Jacob.
That is a very strange idea. I'd be interested to see how it plays out. I am doubtful, but I'm also not a huge analyst of the show, so I might be missing some things that would make it more plausible. I think Jacob is actually.... Mr. Linderman from Heroes. :lol:

Guest Emperor

Very interesting stuff. Now that you mention it, Walt is suppose to appear again at the end of this season, or so I read somewhere. And we ARE suppose to meet this Jacob. Hmmmmm....

theory 1 points to the fact that the island is aware and therefore is somewhat like a purgatory. I have no ruled this option out and unlike some other naysayers, somewhat like this idea.

Guest Cadsuane

I like the purgatory idea as well. It makes the most sense to me with what I know so far.

I'm curious to see how the show deals with the inequalities in the passage of time in RL vs. on the show. It's been three seasons now, and only a few months on the island/mainland. The actor playing Walt is a growing boy, so seeing him now (unless they filmed the final ep a while ago), he will have grown more than he would have in the show's timeframe. That becomes even more important for any children that may stay around for more than a season or so. If the show is around until 2010, that's a lot of getting older.

I don't know that I like the idea of the Island as Purgatory, it wouldn't explain how Ben was born on the island and was (admittedly by his own word) able to leave and come back. Or if Walt or Michael do come back, how would they be able to come and go if it is purgatory. I kinda thought the purgatory idea was a bit of a red herring.

I do though think the island is somehow aware, and in a way we aren't familiar with. I also think that it was because of the Flame that it was able to "connect" with the outside world and know about things that happened off the island and the characters weren't aware of. I think that that smoke monster was somehow "corrupted" by the island, and so doesn't serve Dharma any more, or that it was installed by an unknown 3rd party(Rousseu's team?) after the Purge.

Guest Emperor

That is why I like the time theory... the island is bouncing them all back into the right time frame... or something. I don't know.... we get smoke monster answers Wednesday I think.

I think we get some smokey answers. Not all of them though. The producers said in a podcast that the monster is something that will become more central in later seasons.

Info on the finale from the newly-released cast list:

Alpert, Tom, Mikhail, Alex, Karl and Jason (one of Pickett's lackeys) make up for most of the Others. Danielle, Naomi, Rose and Bernard are also back, as is - most interestingly - Penny Widmore.

Oddly, two cops - Greta and Bonnie - from Charlie's flashback are also in the finale as well. Not sure why though. A bunch of doctors, nurses and an undertaker round off the cast list, seemingly confirming that it's a Jackback episode. I'd assume some Jackbacks to his pre-island life and some to his time on-island with the Others.

More interesting is who isn't listed. No Walt (who'd been rumoured), no Christian Shepherd (who'd been heavily rumoured), no Jacob (unless he's an existing character), etc.

Guest Yveva

ps. In my haste yesterday I totally forgot to mention that I had a dream yesterday morning in which all was revealed. It was a supergood theory and it explained everything so well!!! I remember thinking "I can't wait to put this on the SC board!"

And then I woke up and it was all forgotten. Curses!!!

Guest Yveva

ps. Theory #4 from Lost podcast #2: Locke is a conduit for the island's power... being around him is enough to cause healing. The hosts of this particular podcast mention Claire and Ben being healed and also spending significant amounts of time with Locke. Locke left Boone and Boone died.

It's a possibility, but I don't think it's the only way to be healed, after all our punctured lung helicopter pilot has never been near lost and she seems to be doing pretty well.

Crackpot theory from Lost Podcast with Jay and Jack for this week: Naomi is not working for Penny Whidmore, but Charles. It's all part of a grand scheme to kill off Desmond.

Guest Emperor

I think the island has been healing before the crash... cause Ben was quite surprised to have spinal cancer.

Guest Yveva

I agree.... but why did Ben get cancer?

Sometimes the podcaster theories are neato, other times they make no sense at all.

Dang, I'm late to the discussion, but here goes.

If the Island is like Purgatory, what if Ben is it's keeper? Kind of like a god of the underworld in the myths. So far he's able to keep peole on the island against their will, he has "communication" off the island, and in the case of his group and Locke he has a hand in their growth/evolution off the island.

Guest Yveva

Another theory:

The "should we tell her" line between Jack and Juliet in front of Kate. It's too obvious, and entirely unconnected to their conversation to tell Kate that she's preggo. What if they are referring to the Sattelite phone instead? In which case Juliet knows about the Satellite phone.

What if Naomi is really there to deliver the Satellite phone to the Others? The real reason she starts using so many different languages is to find one that Mikhail knows but the Losties don't know. Therefore she's full of lies... Mikhail mis translates one of her lines, when she says that she's not alone, there'd got to be a reason.

Guest Yveva

She could be working for Penny's Dad instead of for Penny, in which case having the photo is for more sinister purposes.

I wondered if the "should we tell her" was regarding the ability for communications. I can't remember whether the scene played for Juliette of her sister was real time or if it was pre-recorded or even if it was pre-explosion. If it was real time and post explosion, then there's still at least some way of communicating off the island. Maybe Jack knows that and he wants to figure out how to make it work for the phone.

I thought the communications with the mainlaind was a flashback to before the purple sky. I thought the date on the paper was an old one, and Richard was the one holding the camera(unless it was another richard).

The listening station at the end of season 2 was working for penny, and I assumed thats how they knew where to go(approximately).

Guest Cadsuane

I thought the "should we tell her" was about Juliet being a plant, and her and Jack discussing the planned abduction of pregnant women... But maybe Jack doesn't know that much, yet. :?

Archived