DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] LOST

Yveva

Pretty good episode. A bit Prisoner-esque at times. What was up with the old woman? Was she yet another incarnation of the Monster? The 'new' flashback device was quite interesting and freaky (Desmond suddenly realising that he is in a flashback and reacting accordingly) and the revelation about Charlie was quite interesting. I wonder how many more inventive ways they can come up with to kill him which Desmond averts?

Alan Dale as Penny's dad was great, as usual. Comparing his daughter to a bottle of whiskey and telling Desmond he isn't good enough for either the girl or the bottle was harsh. I actually think Desmond may now be the most interesting character on the show, and the actor is certainly a cut above most of the others. His flashback leaves you wanting to know more: why did Penny pursue him relentlessly for several years afterwards, why did her father keep interfering in Desmond's life after he did what he wanted and dumped her, what did he do in the army that landed him in prison?

The only lame thing was that a lot of stuff from the promo episode wasn't even in this week's installment: no Sawyer, no Kate, no big explosions. They could have said it was a preview for the rest of the season, not just this ep. Oh well.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, but Desmond didn't think he was in a flashback, he thought he'd gone back in time or was seeing the future, not that it was all in his mind.

I thought Desmond wasn't going to tell Charlie what was up.

Ps, what do you think about the possibility of Desmond and Claire getting together?

Guest Emperor

First off.. red shoes = death. But what did the red paint mean? I mean that was the most blatant use of red they have used so far.

Desmond and Syiad are my favorite characters. I do not believe Desmond's father is alive. I think he kicked it while Desmond was gone and Penny took over the company, which is how she learned about the island and what to look for.

I would not be surprised if Charlie dies soon. I mean Desmond can only save him for so long. Desmond and Claire will not get together though.

Guest Haxorsist

That was a cool episode. I liked the new flashback, and I didn't predict that it was Charlie Desmond was trying to save. Nice twist.

Guest Emperor

Out of place red has always signified death on the island.

Even the way the paint was on Desmond gave us the feeling that he was dead. Maybe I am reaching here.

Ps' date=' what do you think about the possibility of Desmond and Claire getting together?[/quote']

Not going to happen. Penny is searching for Desmond and they're destiny is to be reunited. Maybe Desmond will be tempted if Claire and Charlie fall out again, but at the end of the day he'll stay true to Penny. It's because of his love for her that he's on the island in the first place, after all.

Guest Cadsuane

I didn't get a sense that she preferred Desmond to Charlie at all, since there really wasn't much interaction between them when she wasn't halfway drowned. That may play out more in the future, but I think Desmond is a little too distracted by his own issues and possibly trying to continue to save Charlie to even consider starting something with Claire.

As for the red paint, I thought they chose red because in the first split second, you think he's laying around dead in his own blood, not just in paint. When else has red signified death? I haven't paid that much attention to it before, lol.

Guest Emperor

Ok

Before Ecko dies, he runs through a field of red plants.

Ummm, I know I have seen it before each of the deaths on the island. Like I knew Anna and Libby were eating it because I saw this out of place red... well I didn't know who was eating it, but knew something was coming.

Yveva, help me out here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Emperor

LOST 3.11 FAQ

Spoilers below in white. Taken from Aint It cool.

What’s it called?

“Enter 77.”

Who’s responsible?

Teleplay is credited to series showrunners Damon Lindelof (“Flashes Before Your Eyes”) and Carlton Cuse (“Not In Portland”).

What does TV Guide say?

“Locke, Sayid and Kate investigate a strange structure and its mysterious occupant; Sawyer competes in a table-tennis competition to get his belongings back. Danielle Rousseau: Mira Furlan.”

What do the promos say?

“So who is he?” asks Kate. “Only one way to find out,” replies Sayid. “A face from the past reappears,” says the announcer. “I am certain he is not alone,” adds Sayid. “To defend an island secret,” continues the announcer. “Kill me,” demands a bloodied eyepatch man. “And this survivor’a actions,” says the announcer over several shots of Locke, “have consequences no one can see coming. “Manual override achieved,” announces labcoat guy Marvin Candle/Mark Wickmund. “For mainland communication, enter 38.” “What have you done, John?” asks Sayid.

Who gets the flashbacks?

Sayid. We are introduced to another dark chapter in his very dark life.

What’s that accent eyepatch guy sports? French?

Ukranian. He says he was born in Kiev and spent some time in the Soviet army.

Is the “mysterious occupant” eyepatch guy?

Yes. His name is Mikhail Bakunin. And if what he says is true, we learn something I found very surprising ahout The Others.

What island secret is eyepatch guy defending?

His home is a Dharma station, The Flame. It is loaded to the gills with boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves related to the Dharma Initiative. We see a flashlight-waving Sayid randomly pull one notebook titled “Dharma Initiative Food Drop Protocol” and another titled “Dharma Initiative Operations Manual.”

What has John done??

Something that angers Sayid muchly.

Do Kate, Locke and Sayid seek out the structure or stumble upon it?

Stumble mostly, though I guess they are technically led by Eko’s Mighty Jesus Stick. But finding the structure isn’t Rousseau’s idea; she says she’s never seen it before.

Wait. There’s a ping pong table?

Jin finds it in the jungle while gathering wood. Someone theorizes it was once a component of Swan Station.

Does Charlie die this week?

Charlie is almost an extra this week. I think he gets fewer than 10 words of dialog. I’m not sure a regular is permitted to die in a episode in which he or she speaks fewer than 10 words. (But if such a thing were to happen to Charlie it might actually be pretty cool.)

Is Bai Ling in this episode?

No.

What else is TV Guide not telling us?

Bakunin will put a big fat bullet in one of the 815ers.

What’s doing with Jack, Juliet, Ben, Tom, Alex, Carl, The Sheriff et al? Is Juliet freaking out because the new hot-girl tattoo on her lower back is going to make her an object of ridicule and scorn when she gets back to Florida?

We do not visit the Others’ camp this week, and we don’t learn what Jack is up to, but I suspect we learn more about them this week than we did in all prior episodes.

What about Jin?

Both Kwons are back, as are Nikki, Paulo, Hurley and Charlie.

Any other regulars go MIA this week?

Claire and Desmond are nowhere to be found.

So Desmond makes no predictions this week?

Correct.

What’s good?

The twists, the turns, the episode’s engrossing nature, Bakunin generally and the big chunk of puzzle that Bakunin seems to drag into place. (I also enjoyed Jin’s suggestion for table-tennis stakes, and laughed at Hurley’s final conversation with Sawyer.)

What’s not so good?

This week’s flashbacks do not seem to offer significant new clues regarding the nature of the island. Almost never my preference.

How does it end, spoiler-boy?

Sayid’s flashlight catches something curious in the jungle.

Guest Cadsuane

You should set your cell phone alarm and then snooze it every 10 minutes throughout the show. That way you/she won't be able to fall asleep. ^_^

I'm glad that we will see more of Sayid. I always liked his character (except when he was "in love" with Shannon, I thought that came out of nowhere, and should have had more build up. It was abrupt and needed more motivation, imo), and have missed him recently.

Guest Haxorsist

Sayid is just too cool. I've been looking forward to another Sayid episode. It's funny how Locke always manages to blow something up when he's touching a computer. :D

What do you guys think will happen with the message Locke sent? The 7 7 thingy. Maybe the Whidmore people will pick it up?

Guest Emperor

So, are we talking about it?

Sayid flashback... ehh....

Ping Pong... funny but really necessary?

Ms. Clue is dead. Is it that important for the Hostiles to remain hidden? The Others were also responsible for the destruction of Dharma? Interesting.

Pretty good episode, although the value of what Mikhail told Sayid and co. is dubious given that he was a liar. Killing Mrs. Klugh I think was a way of tying up a loose end (the actress wasn't available as often as they wanted for a recurring role, so it made sense to take her down when they had the chance to stop people asking where she was). Blowing up The Flame was irritating, as it seemed a reasonable place to live (stacks of C4 nonwithstanding) and investigate further (which reminds me that the Staff is still sitting out there and no-one's bothered to take another look at it; the Pearl is presumably off-limits now due to the monster lurking around in the area; the Arrow is too far away).

The table tennis game was amusing, especially when Sawyer asked Nikki, "Who are you again?". They also didn't over-dwell on it too much. The flashback was similarly nicely concise, and for once Lost didn't chicken out of the logical ending. Sayid was the torturer after all.

For once, I'm going to call coincidence that there was a cat on the island who looked liked the cat in the flashback (normally there would be cries that it was the monster in disguise). Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Now the Lost message boards will be awash with people worried about the cat (the same way the BSG boards are full of people still worried about the dog from New Caprica) rolleyes2.gif

The timeline looks something like this now:

1883: Island discovered by the Black Rock, a slave-trading ship captained and owned by Magnus Hanso. Magnus Hanso dies on a return visit to the island when the Rock is washed ashore. Location of the island and knowledge of its unusual magnetic properties presumably remains known to the Hanso family and is passed down through the ages.

1940s: Alvar Hanso becomes a powerful arms magnate during WWII. Possible return to the island?

1950s: Ben born on the island. 'Adam' and 'Eve' (skeletons found in Season 1) die on the island.

1962: Cuban Missile Crisis results in formulation of Valenzetti Equation, which predicts that humanity will eventually destroy itself. It creates six numbers (THE number) representing certain values linked to sociological, electromagnetic, behavourial, environmental etc factors. Changing these factors would result in humanity being saved or its lifespan on planet Earth extended.

1970s: DHARMA Initiative established by Hanso Foundation. Island infrastructure built (by Widmore Industries?): Swan, Hydra, Arrow, Peal, Flame and Staff stations etc. Barracks as well?

1980-81: Orientation films made. 'Incident' takes place (creation of monster?), resulting in Swan Station EMP anomaly.

1987: The Hanso Foundation abandons all funding of the DHARMA Initiative. Most of the scientists never return. Previously this was because it was assumed they became the Others, but possibly it's because they were all killed in 'The Purge', a war between DHARMA and the Others.

Post-Gulf War: Mikhail sent to the island and joins the Others (1993). Inman sent to the island to man the Swan Station. Curiously Inman still identifies himself as a member of the DHARMA Initiative.

1996: Desmond's flashback/time travel story takes place.

2001: Desmond's boat crashes on the island. Juliet recruited by the Others and arrives on the island.

22 September 2004: Crash of Flight 815

Early-to-Mid December 2004: 'Present' day.

From this it looks possible that the Others were people sent to the island prior to DHARMA's foundation, possibly 20-30 years earlier. It is possible they were an earlier attempt to establish a DHARMA-like scientific community on the island. It's even possible they were founded by the Hanso Foundation, since the Hanso family are the only people we know about who knew of the island's location and unusual properties. It may be that the Others were sent to live on the island peacefully, and resented the later arrival of the DHARMA Initiative who had a colder scientific reason for being there (solving the Valenzetti Equation and saving humanity from extinction through nuclear war or global warming). Exactly why they would have a massive falling out resulting in war between them is unclear. Maybe they feared the DHARMA experiments would result in the destruction of the island? (I'm convinced the series will end with our heroes being rescued but the island being nuked or sinking beneath the waves)

Definitely some food for thought and the most satisfying 'mythology' episode of the season. They should have perhaps tied in the monster somehow (since Flame = Smoke seems a reasonable development).

Guest Emperor

Yeah that is some good information there.

Who keeps resupplying the island if Dhrama is not around?

Does it strike anyone else that if you're being overrun by hostile forces, having to win a computer game of chess before being presented by a menu of options before a time delayed self destruct sequence activates is kinda sloppy programming? (from Lost Message boards but good question)

What we learned last night (if Patchy was truthful)

- The hostiles are not DHARMA members.

- The hostiles were in a war with the DHARMAs and killed them all

- The hostiles were on the island before DHARMA

- The cable that goes into the water leads to beacons that guide the submarines

- When the sky turned purple, The Flame lost communication with the outside world

- The barracks is Otherville (For those of you who did the Lost Experience, you know well what the Barracks are)

The whole thing with Mrs. Klugh boggles me. If she's not an Other, then what was she doing with them in relation to Walt/Michael and the abduction of Jack, Kate, & Sawyer? If she isn't an other, was she a spy for Dharma and that's why she asked to be killed?

And yeah, it's a bummer that Locke blew up the station. Food, man! Food! I mean, I know they were getting rations from Dharma, but this was FRESH Food! And a start to some kind of sustainable living. If Dharma's rations stop coming, they're screwed. Ugh, when he did that, I screamed "Dammit, Locke! Why are you always blindly doing what you're told???!!!" Locke thinks he's a hunter. He's really a worker bee. A drone.

Guest Emperor

He just likes computers I think. He is drawn to them and likes to hit buttons. He is like a little kid.

"Umm yeah 77 sounds good to enter... nothing could go wrong.....dar"

Guest Yveva

as soon as they showed the C4 I knew the place would be exploding because of Locke. I'm just surprised he came out of the building in time.

I was most amused last night by the appearance of the cow, it was great! And I hope the cow survived the blast so that the beachies can have more pets. Are there any translations of what the chick said out on the internet yet?

Archived