DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] LOST

Yveva

Questions: Wasn't Ben born on the island? Wasn't Alex born on the island? Who is this Jacob? Why is Juliet in the camp (is she conning Ben or the Losties)? Isn't Sun pregnant?

Ben was born on the Island, presumably in the 1950s. We don't know if he was conceived on the island though. Alex was conceived off the island and born on it. Jacob is the Leader of the Others. We don't know much about him, save the Others regard him with real reverence. Ben is his direct underling. Sun is pregnant, but the baby was conceived off the island in the week before she and Jin got on the plane. The baby may be Jin's, or it may be Jae's (the guy she was sleeping with; he committed suicide by jumping off a building).

This is the revised flashback/spoiler listing for the last few eps of Season 3. It sounds like the prior list was a foiler released to spin people around (they did the same thing at the start of Season 3):

317: Catch-22 (Desmond)

318: D.O.C. (Sin/Jun)

319: The Brig (erm, none!)*

320: The Man Behind the Curtain (Ben)**

321: Greatest Hits (Charlie)

322: Through the Looking Glass (Jack)***

* 'The Brig' is apparently the second 'flashbackless' episode of Lost ever made (following on from The Other 48 Days). However, it has also major ramifications for a key Season 1 plotline (believed to involve the Monster or perhaps the Black Rock). Conclusion: This episode will either be totally a flashback set in the past revolving around something to do with the Island (some have suggested the Black Rock - 'Brig' is a type of sailing vessel) or it may involve accessing memories from the Monster. So the flashbacks aren't flashbacks, they're recordings.

** This has been changed. Apparently the DeGroots and DHARMA's arrival on the island are still the focus of the ep, but now we see it through Ben's eyes rather than through the DeGroots' themselves.

*** The finale has now been changed to a Jack flashback. This sounds dodgy, but apparently Jack's character - along with the entire cast and everything on the Island - is to undergo radical shifts in the season finale and some key mysteries will be addressed. The term 'timeline' is apparently key to the last two episodes of the season in particular.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Emperor

LOST 3.17 FAQ

What’s it called?

“Catch-22.”

Who’s responsible?

Teleplay is credited to Jeff Pinkner (“Not In Portland,” “The Man From Tallahassee”) & 29-year-old comic-book writer Brian K. Vaughan (“Y: The Last Man,” “Runaways,” “Ultimate X-Men”), who makes his TV-scripting debut.

What does ABC say?

“Desmond coaxes Charlie, Hurley and Jin on a trek across the jungle after experiencing one of his future-prophesizing "flashes" -- but is he purposely placing Charlie's life in harm's way? Meanwhile, Kate turns to an unwitting Sawyer after seeing Jack alone with Juliet. Guest starring are Sonia Walger as Penny Widmore, Jack Maxwell as Derek, Joanna Bool as Ruth, Andrew Connolly as Brother Campbell, Andrew Trask as older monk and Marsha Thomason as Naomi. ”

How did last week’s promo go?

DESMOND: I saw a sequence of events. Things that are going to happen.

ANNOUNCER: Something is coming to this island. Is it salvation, or is it annihilation? There are five shocking episodes before the cataclysmic season finale.

SUN: How do we know he isn’t what you want?

ANNOUNCER: This is the beginning of the end.

SAWYER: FINISH IT!!

ANNOUNCER: An all-new “Lost.” Next Wednesday at ten, nine central, only on ABC.

So Locke’s not back this week?

That’s the word. The now-confirmed batting order for flashbacks:

3.17 Desmond Hume

3.18 Jin & Sun Kwon

3.19 John Locke

3.20 Benjamin Linus

3.21 Charlie Pace

3.22-23 Jack Shephard

What else is ABC not telling us?

The new character Naomi, Carlton Cuse tells E! Online, “does not appear in a flashback, she is not an Other, and she is not one of the survivors of Flight 815."

What happened to the flashback-free episode?

UPDATE!! Another reputable source told us late last night that 3.19 WILL contain flashbacks, and they'll be Locke flashbacks. So I called my original source (the one who said no flashbacks for 3.19), and that source said my latter source was right. The original source got confused because all of Locke's flashbacks are very RECENT flashbacks. All apparently take place on Dharma Island (or thereabouts) subsequent to Ben reintroducing Locke to his daddy (the last time we all saw Locke).

What was the wacky theory about Kate again?

It’s more of a series of “What Ifs.” Now that we know (from last episode) that The Others possess implants that can f-up someone’s physiology if remotely triggered, what if:

* Kate secretly works for Christian Shephard, who may be Ben’s boss.

* Stewardess Cindy (or someone else) on the 815 slipped something into the “not very strong drink” Cindy gave Jack?

* Kate, immediately following the crash of 815, went to the jungle to inject the unconscious Jack with an implant?

* Kate was interrupted (by a wandering Arzt or Nikki or a polar bear) before she could prepare Jack’s injection, and quickly cut a hole in Jack’s back?

* Kate, on the beach, used her curtain-hemming skills to sew the implant into the now-conscious Jack’s back early in the pilot?

* Kate was so hot to recover the tiny toy plane because it contains the trigger for Jack’s implant?

* Kate made sweet love to Sawyer specifically to expedite Ben’s plan to manipulate Jack?

Guest Emperor

Sooooo... did Desmond cause Penny not to be on the Island by letting Charlie live?

Interesting that Desmond finally learned how to Sacrifice, something he struggled the understand as a monk.

Also anyone notice that the picture on the Brother's desk was of Ms. Hawking... you know the psychic ring lady? Interesting...

464744393_d805bb1a06.jpg

Guest Yveva

I don't think it caused her to not be on the island. He didn't change events until after she was already there, and we did see the legs dangling from a tree bit so we know she wouldn't have landed safe and sound even if he didn't save Charlie. I think that if Charlie had died he wouldn't have been able to go on to find her, so it's good that charlie lived, only by saving him was he able to continue to find the chick. Then again, I am not sure about the any theories I come up with, I don't really have Lostbrains, not matter how hard I try.

Guest Cadsuane

What?! Where did all those crazy Kate theories come from?? I've never heard any before. I mean, I really want her to be what she seems, but you never know... *curious*

Ok, sorry for asking questions about old episodes, but WHAT IN THE WORLD did the others do to Michael and why did he shoot Libby and Ana-Lucia?! Also did anyone notice that in Eko's dream with his brother the scenes that flip by quickly are either on the Island and close to a "monster appearance" or frames that the Monster flashed when it went face to face with him.

Guest Emperor

What’s it called?

“D.O.C.”

Who’s responsible?

Teleplay is credited to Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz (“Tricia Tanaka is Dead,” “Exposé”).

What does ABC say?

“After discovering that all of ‘The Others'’ pregnant women died before giving birth on the island, an extremely reticent Sun allows Juliet to examine her -- and uncovers the identity of the unborn child's father. Meanwhile, Desmond allows an unlikely nemesis to help save the life of a new, mysterious island inhabitant. Guest starring are Byron Chung as Mr. Paik, Andrew Divoff as Mikhail, Marsha Thomason as Naomi, John Shin as Mr. Kwon, Alexis Rhee as older woman, Esmond Chung as Paik's associate and Jean Chung as Paik's secretary.”

How did last week’s promo go?

ANNOUNCER: Next Wednesday. A stranger has fallen from the sky.

HURLEY: What if this is a rescue? What if she came for us?

ANNOUNCER: But the promise of rescue is only the beginning. And the fate of this survivor …

SUN: What happens to pregnant women on this island??

ANNOUNCER: … will be revealed. There are only four episodes left until the season finale. And you can’t miss one.

SUN: I lose either way.

ANNOUNCER: An all-new “Lost.” Next Wednesday at ten, nine central, only on ABC.

What’s D.O.C. stand for?

Date of conception.

Is Hurley the daddy of Sun’s fetus? Is that why Hurley gave Jin the big “thumbs up”?

What? Get out of my office!!

Does Juliet determine the baby’s parentage? Does she have a gene-analyzer in her purse?

Juliet’s purse contains no gene analyzing equipment.

Parachute-girl Naomi seems to know Desmond. Does he know her?

“I’ve never seen her before in my life,” claims Desmond.

Is Naomi the “new, mysterious island inhabitant”? Does she remain mysterious because she lapses into unconsciousness?

She’s in and out of consciousness, thanks to a tree-punctured lung. Also, she’s not speaking English.

Naomi speaks no English?

Naomi speaks Italian, Chinese and Spanish. (So there was a good reason for Desmond to bring Hurley along after all!)

Andrew Divoff is back! Is wily one-eyed Ukranian Mikhail the unlikely nemesis Desmond allows to save Naomi’s life?

He is.

How is Mikhail alive? Wasn’t he microwaved to death by The Others’ invisible fence? Is it true no one on the island can stay dead and that Eko is now sharing cocktails in the dolphin tank with Shannon, Nikki, Goodwin, Arzt and Christian Shephard?

ABC says Sun discovers that all of The Others’ pregnant women died before giving birth on the island. Would ABC lie to you?

Is Mikhail secretly another of The Others’ many doctors?

He claims to have been a field medic with the Soviet army. If true, he appears to have been a pretty good one.

Shades of Chekov and Khan! Kate, Locke and Sayid met Mikhail - but Hurley, Jin, Charlie and Desmond not so much. Do they even know who Mikhail is?

Kate apparently described him adequately to Charlie, Hurley and Sun.

What’s doing with Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid and Claire?

Jack and Kate are relegated to one-scene cameos this week. Sawyer, Sayid and Claire, like Locke and Ben, sit the week out.

Does Charlie die this week?

No.

Does Desmond make another prediction?

No.

What was that batting order again?

3.18 Jin & Sun Kwon

3.19 John Locke

3.20 Benjamin Linus

3.21 Charlie Pace

3.22-23 Jack Shephard

What else is ABC not telling us?

Mikhail speaks Italian!

What’s great?

The many reveals. The fabulous Yunjin Kim (whose character shares the audience’s distrust of Juliet). One of the most moving sets of flashbacks in the series’ history. Mikhail’s respective facedowns with Jin and Charlie. Daniel Dae Kim. Elizabeth Mitchell. John Shin, heart-breaking as Mr. Kwon. “It’s five times that.” “Either way I lose.” “What?”

What’s not so great?

We must pity the fools who bailed on this series.

How does it end, spoiler-boy?

Naomi gives Hurley the news.

Guest Emperor

Come on... where is the discussion here. The ending was GREAT! I mean they found flight 815 and there were no survivors....

Which brings up the alternate time line theory...

In the original timeline, Desmond performed all of the events we have seen so far that resulted in his original arrival on the Island. He was rescued by Kelvin and then brought to the Swan hatch to push the button, etc. Desmond followed Kelvin that one day, killed him and as a result of being late on his return to the Swan, the anomaly brought down Flight 815. ("lost time" hint perhaps?) This was a deviation from what the universe had already charted, and as such Flight 815 crashed there and the Losties survived instead of crashing somewhere else and dying as the universe had intended.

Fast forward and we arrive at the end of season 2 when Desmond uses the failsafe key in the Swan. We know that he experienced a phenomenon which took him back in time before his arrival on the Island. When he took the cricket bat to the head inside the pub that was meant for the bartender, he again changed something that was meant to be, which caused even worse consequences. In the universe’s intended path, the plane really did crash and everyone on board died. In Desmond's original past, the bartender took the hit and Desmond went on with his life, following all of the events that resulted in him eventually arriving on the Island. The Losties crash there because of Desmond’s initial change when he killed Kelvin, and we have the story we have seen so far. But when he jumped back in time and took that cricket bat to the head, he was likely out of commission for awhile which ended up with him arriving at the Island later than he originally did.

Because Desmond was late arriving, Kelvin was still in the Swan pushing the button on schedule which means that Flight 815 never crashed on the Island but perhaps somewhere else, and everyone was confirmed dead – this is why the parachutist sounded incredulous when Hurley told her they were the survivors of Flight 815 because as far as the real world off the Island is concerned they were all found to be dead. But as we know, Desmond’s late button push let the Losties live despite the fact that on the “real” timeline they were supposed to crash somewhere else and die. This places them in a purgatory of sorts, because they are supposed to be dead but they are not. As far as the real world is concerned, they are dead and gone, but on the Island they are actually very much alive and well. If you look at things on a grander scale, there are actually 2 of every person that was on the plane. 1 for each timeline - 2 Jack’s, 2 Kate’s, 2 Sawyer’s, etc. (bad twins??) The original Jack, Kate, etc died in the crash that was supposed to happen. When it didn’t happen, time skewed off and created us an additional Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc.

When Desmond found Kelvin drunk near the failsafe he said that by turning that key "all of this would go away". Kelvin knew that turning the failsafe would allow someone to jump back in time and potentially make changes to the past that would have dire consequences down the road. He also knew that he could save himself by turning the key, but at what cost? That's what is/was being protected on the Island - a strange magnetic anomaly that would allow someone to jump back in time. DHARMA knew of the catastrophic events that would occur if someone changed an event in the past, which was why it was being protected.

When Desmond changed that event in the past, it resulted in him arriving later that originally intended as I mentioned earlier and the island crash never happened, Desmond never turned the failsafe, and things proceeded as intended. When events didn’t go as intended, this resulted in another skew that essentially removed the Island from existence on what I'll refer to as "our" timeline. This is why no one can apparently "find" the Island, because in the "real" timeline it doesn't exist. (this could also explain Ben’s comment about how “God can’t see us here) The Others did have the ability to communicate with the outside world before the failsafe was activated but as Tom mentioned "our comms have been down since the sky turned purple". What really happened was the Island was removed from our timeline and placed onto another. To the "real" world, the Island doesn't exist anymore because of Desmond's change.

I think Ben has the same abilities as Desmond, and he knew that really bad things would happen if someone were to change the path the universe had already charted by changing the past. That's why Ben is so adamant on not allowing anyone to leave the Island. He knows the course the universe it taking, and knows that allowing it to run its course without intervention is the only way to save everyone. But now that Desmond has changed things, Ben is scrambling to find a counter-move to Desmond's change. As long as Desmond continues to change things that should happen, reality will be bouncing back and forth on a teeter-totter of sorts.

Ben's mission is to ensure that every change to the past is countered with another event so they can try to bring a balance back to the Island which would make it "reappear" and set things right. I think eventually Desmond is going to be forced to make a decision on whether to sacrifice the Losties by letting things run their true course in an effort to bring things back to balance, or continue saving them. (That's an even BIGGER catch-22 as well – damned if you do, damned if you don’t). If he lets things run their course and bring things back to their original state, the Losties end up crashing and dying somewhere else (“found” versus “lost”), and Desmond remains on the Island indefinitely doing his button pushing as intended.

On the other hand, if he continues to save them they will be stuck on the Island forever because to the "real" time they don't exist. As long as Desmond keeps changing things, they are digging themselves an even deeper hole so to speak. Keep changing things, and everyone is “Lost” forever.

Guest Haxorsist

... :shock:

My head hurts. Great episode though. I hear people dissing Lost all the time recently, but it's really good again now. :D

Guest Cadsuane

Wow... See, I would discuss that, except that my tiny brain didn't come up with any sort of big idea...

Also, I missed the first half! I'll watch it tonight, I think.

I thought they said that this parachute chick didn't speak English???

Guest Cadsuane

But I heard her... She spoke English! Was that supposed to be them speaking Spanish, but they showed it in English so we could actually hear it??

Guest Cadsuane

They waded out into the water and stayed there for three days, until all manner of sea creatures came a'crawlin' into their presence. Then, they roped together a couple of sea turtles...

How did they get the rope, you ask?

Hair. From their backs.

*nods*

8)

Thank you Captain Jack.

I don't buy the alternate timeline theory. The whole thing with flight 815 could be as simple as the organization Ben and others work for simply faked the crash site, making the rest of the world believe there were no survivors. No survivors = no one will come looking for them.

Guest Haxorsist

Aren't polar bears excellent swimmers? I think they could easily swim from one island to the other, even though the climate is a bit warm.

Guest Emperor

It may be a bit far fetched but it explains quite a lot actually.

Why Desmond can see the future.

Desmond's flashback episode.

Why the island is hidden.

I am always entertaining new theories...

Since I don't have a working recording device, I just watched this episode online. Gods bless the person who finally put TV on the internet!!!!!

Man, this was an excellent episode.

1. It was emotional. Really emotional. I couldn't decide whether I wanted the baby to be conceived on the island or off. But I knew I was gonna cry either way.

2. What the... with the Russian guy showing back up???

3. We got to see a side of Juliet that I think could possibly be REAL. The "I hate you" after she stopped recording was very telling. I don't trust her because she is definately working for the Others as a plant, but she is indicating that she hates it and is being forced to do so against her will. I know that he's holding her family hostage as he sees them but won't let her go home, but is that all??? Really?

4. I blinked a lot after parachute chick told Hurley their flight was found and there were no survivors. Wow. I dunno what to say about that one. The time travel alternate theory does explain a lot of things away, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of time travel on this series at all. I'm much more apt to think things are a dream state or something. I dunno. Obviously I don't have any answers, just a screwed up face from trying to figure this game out.

Guest Yveva

I would prefer to think that there's weird time stuff going on rather than that it's a dream state or the afterlife. I feel like making it a dream or purgatory or whatever is a lame cop-out. Though I get that I may be alone in that feeling. I want it to be more sci fi than religion I guess. I have this hope that all will be revealed someday, and a scifi explanation would be more complex and palatable to me rather than "you've been in a mental institution all this time! it's all in yoru head!"

Guest Cadsuane

I agree, Yveva. I think that's been done so many times it's dull. There is so much strange scientific-y stuff happening on the island, what with people being cured and all, that going the science route makes more sense here.

Archived