DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Movie

Siswaiaman

If you're cutting the series down to 9 films, that doesn't necassarily mean 9 years of filming. If you did it like Peter Jackson did the LotR and shot all 9 films simaltaneously, you're talking about 6-8 months per film. That breaks it down to a little over 5 years of shooting. Of course that's 5 years on location, away from family and friends, with maybe a week or two vaction after each film. Still daunting, but not a decade of shooting. Cuts down by about half.

I agree that an animation film would probably be better for the series as a whole, and easier to produce. If you could get Mike Miller and Carlos Rafael (the New Spring Comic guys) to do the drawings, it would look SWEET! I'd personally rather have hand drawn then 3-D computer animation for these films, but which ever. I would rather see these done in live action, because I think we have the technology to do them WELL! We just don't have the time or committment. And if it was decided to do them in animation, I think you might as well make 12 films instead of losing the story for 9.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A movie could be great. People are getting more serious about book adaptations. Blade runner was loosely based on the book and a scanner darkly is supposed to be more literal. It has been maybe ten years. Lotr wasnt literal but i am thankfull for tom bombadil being droped. I think it was a great job even if there were changes, inconciquential changes imo. i have argued with a fanatic for hours about the flash flood. Quite boring. he didnt watch the next to till he realized there would be more things for him to complain about. i am pretty confident the movie/s will be enjoyable to all but hardcore fanatics. you know, that is if they ever get started.

I hope, if they do make the movies, that they keep the characteristics of the book, I mean so they don't just turn it into a going-here-and-there-and-killing-folks action movie. Obviously the inner monologue will mostly be lost, and the watchers won't really be able to know what the people know and what they don't know in the same way, but perhaps if properly done, the complexities of the stories would survive the screen.

A series of movies would be quite something though: Here in 2015, the 7th WoT-movie is now being previewed...

I gave The Wheel of Time movie alotta thought

I like filmaking, and if I were hired to work on the movie, I would make them as true to the book as possible

I already did some concept art for weapons, and I also put down some ideas on how to make the proper special effects. For instance, A fade's motionless cloak can easily be done by either green screen or by shooting at the site 2 seperate times ( one with people where its windy, and the other with the Fade on a calm day)

I would try to make the One power scenes as realistic and non-cheesy as possible

I also thought of an idea for Balefire. I would make the actual balefire( CG) and remember how RJ explains that Balefire leaves a purple after image?

well, I thought itwould be neat to let a purple after-image linger on the screen for a couple of seconds after Balefire is made, making the audience think that the balefire was really bright( or brighter than it can be)

Yeah I think anima would be best for any kind of movie. You wouldnt have much, if any, cutting out of scenes and stuff. I mean Chinese anima had some nudity and the WOT books has its share that would most likely be skipped on a full scale real time movie, or even on a 3D movie. And the special affects wouldnt be bad either, plus the persons POV thoughts are always used on other anima shows so it would fit perfectly with WOT.

Honestly why? Any other type of movie would have cuts or wouldnt do the book justice. I guess 3D MIGHT do good but as much as I would love a full feature film there would just be too much dissapointment, and I would rather see it on an Anima type film than anyother. I've been a Reader for TOO long to let this series be alienated!!!

Djeeez. I would really' date=' really loathe a manga version of TWoT.

IF they make a movie (which I do not want to see happen) it had better be a live action series and not some stupid manga with Rand et al looking like twelve-year olds.[/quote']

I have to agree...if they made anime out of WoT, I would get rid of my books.

That being said, I could see them doing a credible animated version, but I would want it gritty and realistic. It's the only way to get a movie that shows the true scopes of the books, I think. Look at how hard it was to do the three Lotr books, and how badly they got chopped up.

J

• Community Administrator

Jelly, have you even seen the new Japanese Anime? There is a Difference between Magna and Anime btw. Magna is the japanese version of our comic book. And not "animate" or "anime".

Princess Mononoke, is an Awesome Anime, visually and plot wise.

Some of that guys works are pretty outstanding to.

http://www.princess-mononoke.com/

Full Metal Alchemist.

http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com/flash_index.html

Ghost in a Shell.

http://www.ghostintheshell.com.au/

Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, which is a combination of Anime and 3d. *its a trend that is starting in 3d.*

http://na.square-enix.com/dvd/ff7ac/

Anime today, is not dragonball z, and gundum wing. They have changed alot over the years.

They are much better graphically then they were before. Hell they could do the same graphics, *only better* then the new spring comics, keeping the style, only animate it.

3d has the advantage of anime, while the realism of realtime, and much better specialeffects blending. + they can do things that they do in animes, that you wouldnt be cought dead doing in realtime movies. + actors only have to do voice acting, and not actually act, as that seems to be actors weakness's these days.

you have to see this from a financial point of view

a Wheel of Time movie ( live action) will make a serious amount of money, especially with all of the fans out there

Robert Jordan wouldn't let anyone make a crappy version of his books

they will get someone to make it true to the books and it will be wonderful

I stand corrected on the manga/anime issue. I was not aware there was a distinction, but it makes sense now I think of it.I

If movies were to be made, in an ideal world, Robert Jordan would supervise the script, an advantage Tolkien never had. That being said, though, I do not see how an animated movie would avoid the problem of making cuts. This series is going on ten thousand pages. Why would there not be a need to make cuts in order to make 3 hour animated movies function dramaturgically as opposed to 3 hour live action movies?

When it comes to whether or not I have seen modern anime, I think that is beside the issue. I enjoy live action movies far more than animated movies. I tend to take them more seriously. And I do not like the Japanese way of making animated movies. I do not like the way action "effects" look. I do not like the way they portray the characters. I do not like how every person looks like a twelve year old girl.

No, it would have to be live action.

Umm, those 10's of thousands of pages, are mostly filled up with descriptions of objects, and shuffling of dresses. It may take 20 pages to describe a room, but it only takes 2 seconds to pan a camera over a room. If someone were to actualy make a screenplay, of wot, it would be much much much shorter. Actual events could be summed up in mere moments in a movie. The main reason why an Anime would almost work the best is quite simply. Animes can be made as a movie, or a series. You could get the series to be 1 book = 1 series. 1 series = 20 episodes or so. Making about 10 hours of film per season. PLENTY of time to cover the books. But that also gives about 5-12 seasons for the the animes to go through.

Movies, could be done in about 2-3 hour parts per book, and some books combined. However that is very very high budget film making, + having to pay actors huge sums + trying to convince people to stay why they should film this in this one place.

A tv series/mini series would be imo the best way to go about it. An anime series would be the 2nd best *as well as getting characters who actually look like what they should look like.*

I have to disagree SD. I lived with a guy who made me watch Gost in a Shell and Final Fantasy. it's just not my bag. I'd be disappointed if they chose to animate WOT in a similar way.

But that is just my opinion. I know there is a huge fan market out there for it.

so would I

even thought I think it would look better as a live action movie

Tom Welling as Rand!

Kristen Kreuk as Egwene!

Keira Knightly as Nynaeve!!

Tom Welling I can agree with.

Kristen Kreuk as Egwene - Err... Wrong! I can't see that at ALL!

Keira Knightly has too much of an underbite. She's not nearly pretty or busty enough to play Nyneave.

And sinister to outline the truth...

tEotW would probly be a 2 hr movie, no more.

and for the love of god, please no anime! Name the last Blockbuster that was anime (not counting ice age, thats computer animated). Anime movies don't become mainstream, and they would be horrible, especially as charecter and mood creators. I envision a movie with the acting and battle scenes of LotR, with the suspense of a speilburg and the music catchy enough to stick (harry potter, LotR). Acters prolly have to be basely british (an american actor can't curse with Blood and Ashes!)

The power would be hard to put in the movie...

what's wrong with Kristen Kreuk?

well

I have a lot of people from smallville as my characters

Min for me is Alison Mack with dark hair

and I know I have more from smallville, but I can't remember

I know that Elayne is Emmy Rossum ( with gold red curls)

Mat is very confusing, I think of him as Jared Padalecki, ( is that spelled right?) but Jared is too tall

all of my characters are people I thought of when the characters were introduced...and if they don't fit the description exactly, then I change their hair or whatever to make them fit

And sinister to outline the truth...

tEotW would probly be a 2 hr movie' date=' no more.

and for the love of god, please no anime! Name the last Blockbuster that was anime (not counting ice age, thats computer animated). Anime movies don't become mainstream, and they would be horrible, especially as charecter and mood creators. I envision a movie with the acting and battle scenes of LotR, with the suspense of a speilburg and the music catchy enough to stick (harry potter, LotR). Acters prolly have to be basely british (an american actor can't curse with Blood and Ashes!)

The power would be hard to put in the movie...[/quote']

Amen!

not too british , though...it should depend on where the characters are from...right?

first off i think wot movies would only be worth it if they are like lotr and put as much of the books in the movies as possible.

second i would love to see a final fantasy type movie. that animation would kick butt with the imagery of the weaves of the power.

third in any live action movie Laura Bertram (Trance Gemini from Andromeda) would be a great Moiraine. She already has the Aes Sedai look that i see in my head.

oh and the older lady who played in Cagne and Lacy back in the 80's would be an easy Verin.

what's wrong with Kristen Kreuk?

well

I have a lot of people from smallville as my characters

Min for me is Alison Mack with dark hair

and I know I have more from smallville' date=' but I can't remember

I know that Elayne is Emmy Rossum ( with gold red curls)

Mat is very confusing, I think of him as Jared Padalecki, ( is that spelled right?) but Jared is too tall

all of my characters are people I thought of when the characters were introduced...and if they don't fit the description exactly, then I change their hair or whatever to make them fit[/quote']

Look, I’m as big a Smallville fan as the next fan, but I just don’t think Kirsten Kreuk is Egwene material.

First of all, I don’t think she’s that good an actor. I am always bored with the Lana Lang storylines. I think she is incapable of acting like a strong woman in a convincing manner. Even that series of episodes of her as the ancient witch seemed tacky. She’s not got the chops to be the Amirlyn Seat.

Plus, I think her Chinese heritage shows in her face and I don’t see her features suiting a child born of Two Rivers parents. Don’t get me wrong, she is beautiful, but she’s not the farm girl Egwene starts out as, nor the Amirlyn she becomes.

I think you’d do well to look beyond Smallville for the people of Randland. I think John Glover (Lionel) is a good villain. He’d make a good Be’lal in my opinion. But Alison Mack as Min? I can’t see that either. She’s far too American.

I have to disagree SD. I lived with a guy who made me watch Gost in a Shell and Final Fantasy. it's just not my bag. I'd be disappointed if they chose to animate WOT in a similar way.

But that is just my opinion. I know there is a huge fan market out there for it.

Maybe you are biased against animes?

IN our culter, animes are basically equated to cartoons. cartoons = for children. Thus to adults, watching anime is basically a no-no.

The fact that you said you were forced to watch something, also says to me, that being force to watch something, you obviously arent going to like it. Had you watched it of your own free will, you would probably have enjoyed it much much more.

If someone "forces" me to play a new game, I'm not going to enjoy it at all, even if it is the greatest game ever made. This also goes to movies/ect.

As for Final Fantasy: Advent Children (Not spirits within, I personally like it, even though alot of people dont) Is more or less a "final fantasy fanboy movie". So you first have to like final fantasy inorder to be able to like the movie, else it won't make anysense. The reasoning in pointing it out is this.

FF7:av shows how realistic 3d animation is. Thus, it is able to achieve the "realness" that realtime movies have..

It has the Action that realtime movies have.

It also can have the action that realtime movies can't have.

It isnt limited to realtime movie rules.

It isn't limited to anime movies.

It's basically a freelance work of art. It has none of the things you can put into a realtime movie, that is a nono, and it has all the pros of realtime, pros of anime, and none of the cons.. IF that makes anysense at all. *It is also, realtively easier to create, once all the 3d work is done. It's basically like playing with dolls and filming, make the entire project there after easier/cheaper to make. IE things from 1st movie, can be repeated to the 2nd, and 3rd... Anime they can only recycle some things. Realtime? Nope, only thing they can recycle is clothing, and even then not to well... In the long run, a 3d movie would be the cheapest to produce. Real time would be in many minds the best to make.

Anime would be the middle grounds. Not the cheapest, but not the greatest.

Each have there pros and cons...

3d anime series? not pretty applicable.

anime series? very possible.

realtime series? very possible

3d movie? very possible

realtime movie? ehh, possible but very very very high budget.

anime movie? very possible.

As for movie lengths. I will again state this.

85% of teotw is descriptions of characters, places, ect. If you take out all the descriptions, and get down to the bare bones of the story/dialogue ect. You can definately put eotw into a workable 2 hour movie, and having everything you need in it. Other books could be converted into 2 movies.

IT would be great though, if they were to combine each movie into 2 books.. eotw + tgh. tdr+tsh.. ect..

All of which, could be made into a 3-4 hour movie. A very workable timeslot.

It may come to a suprise to you. But 1 minute reading is/not = to 1 minute screen time. 30 pages in a book could litteraly be only 20 seconds film time. Other parts, 1 page could be = to 20 minutes. It's all a matter of trying to filter out the descriptions as pans, and the dialogue/action/ect to fill the gaps.

Btw.. anime & 3d have the adventages, of displaying the op as it is meant to be displayed, as well as innermonolgues. Realtime movies? Not so much. THats basically a nono. Do you know how horrible it would be in a real time movie, having someone standing there while the cg guys work on trying to make it look like they are channeling? Uggh, nightmares!

SD,

I'm not against cartoons. I love animation. I'm a huge fan. I said forced me to watch because I sat down to watch it and about 45 minutes in I was borwed stupid. I wanted to leave the room but he kept telling me it was just about to get really exciting. So I stayed and watched, but I was never impressed.

Listen, I know what you're saying. I can see the benefits of creating an anime movie, but in my opinion the style of animation is not suited to the Wheel. I have for a long while considered anime characters to look very similar to one another. Again, this is simply my opinion - I'm not trying to force it on anyone. I would just prefer if the novels were to be made into a film that it not be anime.

I will also have to disagree with your opinion that a film of TEotW would be less than 2 hours in length. I read your justification, but I think you're being overly optimistic. Without a narrator, the thoughts of characters and underlying exposition encorporated in tEotW is staggering and will require scenes not included in the book to get the information to a movie going audience.

It would be a film of 2 to 3 hours at best. And even then with a good deal of the book removed from the final cut.

Archived