DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Movie

Siswaiaman

Guest Majsju
Exactly. And When he starts hearing the dice (in book four I think it was) it's barely noticeable' date=' and slowly. So the sound of dice sneaks up on the audience, so they only really notice the sound of the dice in retrospect.[/quote']

Kinda like how you can hear Darth Vaders breath in the background when Anakin goes medieval on the sand people in AOTC :D

StarWars2.gif

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

The idea is good, as long as the director could restrain from focusing on the eyes every single time someone seizes the power.

I liked it. I think one of the first times he does it is when he's shooting an arrow under the eye of Lan. You could focus on his eye, see the flame flickering and slowly the sound washes out until it is just Rand and no sound, then he looses the arrow.

Yeah, I like it.

I also agree with maj. It only needs to be done the first couple of times Rand does it, then the audience knows what is happening.

Although it would be good to go back to the same kind of shot a few times throughout the series, but certainly not every time.

Thanks. If any of you guys have other ideas please share. I was thinking on the dvd having and 'alternate soundtrack' option' date=' with the movie set to modern(ish) music.[/quote']

those are some killer ideas!

wow...you are good

I think some modern...-ish music would be good as an addition...I had a very similar thought...this is getting weird....great minds think alike?

Guest Majsju

Modernish music? Depends on what you mean with that. New compositions inspired by traditional music, kinda like LOTC, but actually by a good composer, excellent. But I've seen people suggest that bands like Linkin Park, Metallica etc should do it, and...Ewww! If I saw such names on the soundtrack I would never watch the movie.

I agree with maj. A good orchestral score would be required to give the films they credibility they require. Can you imagine how dated they would become in a very short time if they had music that is in current charts in them?

I can see that it may be something some people would like as an extra on a dvd, but not me. nope.

Guest Majsju

I'm thinking more traditional folk instrumentation than a fullblown orchestra. Some fiddles, flutes, drums (like a bodhran for those who are familiar with Irish music), dulcimer, bagpipes, stuff like that.

Yeah, I can see how that would fit. Especially in using different instruments to ensure different countries have their own flavour and identity.

I don't think you could make movies of this scale without an epic score that involves a full orchestra. I would be all for using a number of different instruments as features, though.

Take a tip from 24 on FOX. It would make an excellent Series if the time period per episode (film, mini series, or weekly series) is slowed down to allow detail and development. The advances in make-up and CG makes this the perfect case for direct to home or theater without film. Think of Disney's 3D or IMAX 3D as the norm. :roll:

What do you mean by dissenters? For the alternate soundtrack, I have songs by Depeche Mode and Ian Brown first in my mind. I probably wouldn't have music that too popular; no Britney Spears and probably nothing you would hear at your school dance.

Ex: For the scene where we meet 'Selene' - 'Dessert Rose' by Sting

When Selene reveals herself - 'A Question of Lust' by Depeche Mode.

Opinions? Thoughts?

One more thing: I pictured the Seanchan as having bulgarian accents (like Victor Krum from Harry Potter). And what does LOTC stand for?

I agree that the soundtrack should be something on the lines of LotR. They already have that Wheel of Time soundtrack you can buy, I don't own it but I hear it's kina bagpippy and classic like LotR, I think that would be perfect.

As for the inner dialouge I think it's a simple matter of voice overs and flash photography. When Rand is talking with LTT you have LTT talk in voice over and Rand respond in voice over (unless he's alone in the room, then he can talk back out loud). As for Perrin talking to wolves, I know the wolves talk in visual messages in the book, but I think that would have to be changed for the movie. Give them human voices and do the same thing I said with LTT.

As for Mat's memories you simply flash the memories. Zoom in on Mat's face, and then flash to a memory of some guy dying or whatever. They do it in movies all the time. With all of their dreams you'd do the same thing. Zoom in on Rand sleeping and then cut to his dream. The audience is pretty smart.

The dice sounds could be played quietly in the background during Mat's scenes, and then you could increase the volume during scenes where it's crucial to hear the rolling, and then have them stop when they stop.

I agree that the books are very internal, and a LOT of the comedy and drama is done through inner dialouge, but a thousand movies do inner dialouge. And in an animated film you'd have the same problems and come to the same conclusions. It's all a matter of voice over and flash photography. Easy.

I like it, Kadere. I just had an idea. I think it would be great for Rand to occasionally have a conversation with a physical LTT. Like aguy who is really there in the room. He could be looking into a mirror and see his reflection, or if he's alone, have LTT another person in the room.

I guess there are a few ways to have the inner dialogue brought to the screen so that it is not solely voice over all the time.

and maybe when LTT is trying to snatch Saidin, Rand and LTT can be running towards the Source or something...that's probably not very good..but its an idea

question!

should the Fades' swords be curved?

I drew on curved and it looks deadly and quick, but it is also wider and strong...almost like a scimitar

Perhaps when they need to convey Rand's thoughts on Aes Sedai, they could show a flash of a malevolent white tower, with hooded shapes walking it, literally pulling strings to thrones all over Randland.

I don't know if it's done, but would it be possible to have to occasional subtext floating by to convey a sudden inner thought, in a real-flesh film?

What do you mean by "subtext floating by"? Do you mean subtitles?

Conversations with a physical LTT would be pretty cool, I've thought about that. Or like when Lanfear talks to Rand in Shadow Rising and Rand becomes LTT for a second, you could flash the actor who played LTT on to the face of Rand.... oooooooo creepy!

And Aes Sedai pulling strings works. Whatever you need to portray a thought or inner conflict.

when Rand touches the True source, it should be done exactly as RJ describes it...when he was reaching through the taint...that should be done once in a while...or maybe just during the first times

and the color swirls...? they should just appear on the screen when Rand, Perrin or Mat says something about the other...and they should blink or someting to show that THEY were the ones that saw it...I hope I am describing this ok

Yea, subtitles, except that I think "sub"-titles might be misleading. Perhaps an occasional word or phrase could flash near the pov character, to give the immediate appearance that he thinks that. Though I don't know if that would look good.

Showing channelling according to whether the pov character sees it should be quite good. Then, sometimes you just see the strange effect, and sometimes you really see what's going on.

Archived